Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 styles, the blue would push on the top of the seal and probably be ok unless you were careless. I got dims for both but am just posting the silver as the double step grabs the outer body better. Diameter may vary depending on size my sample is .623 OD for a 11/32 stem.
20200105_120829.jpg

20200105_121627.jpg

20200105_121640.jpg

20200105_121655.jpg

20200105_121713.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Shims showed up, so I decided to try and set up a few cylinders

2EC8ECA4-DBB7-4684-8DD5-DCC604958A1B.jpeg

Was a slightly tedious process given installing the retainers and keepers. Install, measures, remove, shim, install, measure...and so on.

Valve seals weren’t s big deal. Found an appropriate driver. The metal shell version definitely is superior to the clamp ring style.

Spring install was no big deal with the proform tool.

38F5C9B7-7125-4484-A95E-87AA65F6AFC3.jpeg

12BF56AF-648C-47F4-B091-F1E50035E33F.jpeg

8CFBF64B-ECF3-42C5-8B13-BBB132A71406.jpeg

And just becUse I had to see the final look.
8C5FD9CD-6267-4F9D-996A-A10B33E5B76D.jpeg

Took me an hour to do 4 springs. Stopped for the night

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Shims showed up, so I decided to try and set up a few cylinders

2EC8ECA4-DBB7-4684-8DD5-DCC604958A1B.jpeg

Was a slightly tedious process given installing the retainers and keepers. Install, measures, remove, shim, install, measure...and so on.

Valve seals weren’t s big deal. Found an appropriate driver. The metal shell version definitely is superior to the clamp ring style.

Spring install was no big deal with the proform tool.

38F5C9B7-7125-4484-A95E-87AA65F6AFC3.jpeg

12BF56AF-648C-47F4-B091-F1E50035E33F.jpeg

8CFBF64B-ECF3-42C5-8B13-BBB132A71406.jpeg

And just becUse I had to see the final look.
8C5FD9CD-6267-4F9D-996A-A10B33E5B76D.jpeg

Isn’t it funny how we just have to see the beauty and precision of things that no one else will sever see, much less understand! Awesome build build man.....hope to get to that point some day myself!!

So....I thought you were installing the blue metal shell valve stem seals? Don't I see the black ones in the new pics? I probably misread something. Excellent pics, like usual.

Random question: few pages back you had the new heater tube. Can you grab a quick measurement of the spacing of the two tubes at the rear (leading to heater core) center on center? Just a rough estimate is plenty good for me if you have it easily accessible. No worries if not.

So....I thought you were installing the blue metal shell valve stem seals? Don't I see the black ones in the new pics? I probably misread something. Excellent pics, like usual.

I reinstalled the black ones just to hold the valves in place. Without them, the valves slowly drop down into the cylinders. I'm doing the cylinders in pairs to have the cylinders up at the top of the bores to provent the valves from dropping, so i'm changing them out as I go. Less risk.

Random question: few pages back you had the new heater tube. Can you grab a quick measurement of the spacing of the two tubes at the rear (leading to heater core) center on center? Just a rough estimate is plenty good for me if you have it easily accessible. No worries if not.

I can do that.

Isn’t it funny how we just have to see the beauty and precision of things that no one else will sever see, much less understand! Awesome build build man.....hope to get to that point some day myself!!

Thanks. I never knew the complexity that goes into building/assembling a motor. I didn't even tough th bottom end, and I know that's a whole different set of measurements and specs to adhere by. I have a newfound respect for those that build engines for a living having to crank these engines out quickly without the ability to stop and research each seperate action like i have.

I've taken my time here trying to research and do everything the best i can. Spent a few hundred on tools, and really crossing my fingers that i did everything right.

Next hurdle is adjusting the rockers. Just ordered an oil pump priming tool. Getting closer

Reactions: 1 users
So what made you change the valve seals over the ones that came on the heads? I am going to be rebuilding my heads soon, and want to pick out the right style. Your attention to detail is very helpful.

So what made you change the valve seals over the ones that came on the heads? I am going to be rebuilding my heads soon, and want to pick out the right style. Your attention to detail is very helpful.

New ones are supplied with the spring kit. They seemed much sturdier than the ones TFS supplies.

Also, the act of pulling the old ones off does kinda nick them up a bit, so the fact that I have brand new ones in the package to install is sort of a no-brainer when you consider the issues surrounding reinstalling potentially damaged ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So, all that's left to do is adjust the rocker arms. Still haven't purchased valve covers yet (I honestly can't decide) but i'll take a page out of @TOOLOW91 book and slap the stock ones on for now so they don't get scratched up when I reinstall the motor...which isn't going to be anytime soon. I just want to get a cover on there now to keep crap out.

SO...for rocker arm adjustment, I have them set to zero lash right now. These are brand spanking new lifters, and while I can feel the spring in them and can tell they are fully lifted up, do I need to prime the oil system first and then set the lifter preload, or can I do it on dry lifters?

The install instructions say set to zero preload, and then go 1/2 turn past and lock it in place. Sound good?

I do have my oil pump priming tool arriving today? Should i toss some oil in it and prime everything up? Would give me a chance to verify pressure with my guage, as well as oil the top end up, fill the lifters, and just verify all the rockers are getting oil before i button it up.

I ordered a new engine stand to allow me to put the engine down and bolt the flywheel/clutch/bell and trans up. Should be in the mail shortly.

OH, BTW, the valve spring install got quicker once i got the hang of what i was doing. Took me about 2 hours to do it on the engine. I made it easier by already having all the springs off anyway. I intitially balked at the idea of buying the $65 Proform valve spring tool for what would be almost a one time use really. The compressors i could rent were crap. Only reason i breezed through this install was due to this particular valve spring compessor. It made the job a breeze. SO easy to use and no damage to any components or cursing or swearing on my part. Having the right tools really does make the job easier

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.