Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

EBE50FC5-B027-48C1-9AFF-58A052FF27E9.jpeg

1 year ago today, I took apart a perfectly fine running car....

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Back to heater cores. Tracked down an old set of Brass 4 seasons cores. Compared them to the FoMoCo made cores, and they are identical.

paid $35 each. Can you tell which is which? 2 four seasons cores, the Nos core and my “bad” core

D5F004D9-E31F-4711-8042-FF313FF27781.jpeg

D5F004D9-E31F-4711-8042-FF313FF27781.jpeg

210A838B-8D54-47C3-92BC-EFA0DF66A5F8.jpeg
D5DB369F-692A-44FD-B9D5-B76335E12FC1.jpeg

So to be more specific. The 2nd from right is the NOS core. Left most one is the core I pulled from my car. In the above pic, it looks like the two 4 seasons cores. No FoMoCo label on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the core i had in my car the last 20 years was a brass parts store replacement.

So, i'm picking the best of the two, and installing that. The NOS unit will go back into the box and get put on the shelf. Maybe i'll sell it one day, maybe I won;t

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Man can’t wait to see it done and her that motor! I see ppl redoing motors and engine bays and I want it so bad. I’m still on the fence but might pick up this 351 this weekend since I’m going down to my home town. Maybe that will be the start to getting going on my engine bay! But..... maybe not lol

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I had a plan. Purchased all the 2k paints and materials. Then I read up on isocyanates.

and kept reading about proper PPE, and health effects, and some accounts of exposure. Was racking my brain on how I can do this safely.

long story short, I ended up returning it all. This stuff is nasty and My kids play in the room directly above the garage. I live in a dense neighborhood with kids playing out and about in the street and nearby yards. Everyone is home for school/work due to covid. Long story short, in my home and living conditions I just cannot garantee safe application for those who live with me, or around me. I can’t soak the neighborhood in this stuff. It’s just not responsible.

I did purchased a supplied air mask, but still feel that as much as I want to do this right, I won’t risk my health to do so. This is a hobby, not worth it.

On to plan B.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Well, I had a plan. Purchased all the 2k paints and materials. Then I read up on isocyanates.

and kept reading about proper PPE, and health effects, and some accounts of exposure.

long story short, I ended up returning it all. This stuff is nasty and My kids play in the room directly above the garage. I live in a dense neighborhood with kids playing out and about in the street and nearby yards. Everyone is home for school/work due to covid. Long story short, in my home and living conditions I just cannot garantee safe application for those who live with me, or around me. I can’t soak the neighborhood in this stuff. It’s just not responsible.

I did purchased a supplied air mask, but still feel that as much as I want to do this right, I won’t risk my health to do so. This is a hobby, not worth it.

On to plan B.
I dont know of any paint system you're gonna buy that doesn't have chemical related exposure concerns.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I dont know of any paint system you're gonna buy that doesn't have chemical related exposure concerns.

understood, they are all bad. Some worse than others. Isos seem to be the absolute worst. I deal with nasty chemicals at work and am always reading SDS’s and such. I never knew how bad this stuff really was.

I realize I’m probably being a little overdramatic as I’ve spray painted in my garage many times before without issue. But, for this stuff, the short of it is that I’m not comfortable using it in my home and around my family. If my engine bay doesn’t look as good as it could be...then that’s a price I’m willing to pay.

Last edited:
understood, they are all bad. Some worse than others. Isos seem to be the absolute worst. I deal with nasty chemicals at work and am always reading SDS’s and such. I never knew how bad this stuff really was.

I realize I’m probably being a little overdramatic as I’ve spray painted in my garage many times before without issue. But, for this stuff, the short of it is that I’m not comfortable using it in my home and around my family. If my engine bay doesn’t look as good as it could be...then that’s a price I’m willing to pay.
Mike, I get what you’re saying, but.........

Isocyanides are the bad part for me as well (obviously). I even know painters that have developed liver problems from this poison.

I also know these painters were idiots painting a lot without masks or gloves. When I say a lot, I mean a LOT. Daily for years.

It really won’t be a problem for you, your kids, or your neighbors to paint an engine bay. If you decide not to though, I understand. Just the small chance does scare most people.

I hear what you are saying Dave. There is so little actual area to paint I could be done with it in short time. Could even break it up to keep fumes down.

I still have hours of prep ahead of me in cleaning and scuffing all the metal. I’ll mull this over a bit before making a final decision.

What about tenting around front-end with thick plastic and an exhaust fan with filter? When your done take it all including filter to a hazardous dump.

Made a decision about the heater core. After careful examination, I believe the motorcraft core and my old 4 seasons cores prob went down the same assembly line. So o stuck the best of the $35 brass cores in.

6C4BDE82-62DB-4594-AA6A-8AFED8A49187.jpeg

4DD259F2-FF97-4C27-B04A-A7E8865C2067.jpeg

I’ll keep the other four seasons brass core, and my originsl core which I could always repair.

the Ford core will go on eBay. It’s getting listed pretty damn high, so it will likely never sell. I’m sure I’ll get some entertaining offers as it sits on the shelf.

Last edited:
Pulled the dash harness off the frame. Took about 20 pics of where everything routes. Going to scuff, clean and paint the metal frame.

CD58D56D-C2C8-40B2-A12B-02BDA6E07592.jpeg

Made myself a work area to reloom and clean up this harness. I have a few sections to resplice where I cut the alarm out.
81D066CF-B811-4E15-9564-3BF6F395075A.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Decided to mess with the dash harness while watching football.

the original tape holding it together was an oozy, sticky mess that pulled apart easily.

bought some Tesa tape and pulled the old tape off, inspected the wiring and went to work rearapping it.

Example of the crumbling tape
340D3491-0070-4AE6-843E-BE22DB2409B9.jpeg

before
45EB77EF-4AE5-4D13-AC9C-EA70F8429F2D.jpeg

Same area partially wrapped
E2E13319-85D2-44E6-9569-4A212E044372.jpeg

Some more progress
DB1F97E4-4BE2-4AB6-8407-DAAAC3799A2E.jpeg

14973369-FACD-4194-BF70-EE1C2A53EC8C.jpeg

FC0469D7-8E44-4D9F-A134-093AC1E2E3F4.jpeg

ran out of tape, so had to pause to order some more.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.