Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a dumb/theoretical question:

I wonder if there would be any benefit to increasing the vacuum canister volume for combos with crappy overlap? :shrug:

Sorry... random thought.

I've heard of guys doing this either running a vacuum pump, or a larger supplemental canister.

In my case it doesn't matter. With the hydroboost, all I need vac for is the HVAC system, FPR and the EGR. Eventually the EGR will be gone as well when I go with the Megasquirt. I'm leaving that stuff in just in case down the road MA does anything crazy with vehicle emmissions and I need to hook some of the stuff back up. I'm not too worried about the extra 1/2 pound of plastic weight when I cruise around to get a coffee or hit a car show.

• Sponsors (?)

Looks great! A bit overwhelming as far down as you went with interior too.
On the throttle cable if the outer sheath is ok. You can have a competent snow truck accessory shop make you a new cable they are standard ends. That's what I did on my carb set up after fighting with the cheap plastic ends on the aftermarket replacement.

The sheathing is actually cracking and splitting. Still usable, but i'm giving thought to buying the really nice used cable on Ebay. I did find new replacement cables, but they seem to be all plastic.

Interior isn't as bad as it seems. I took a bunch of pics so hopefully I can get it all back together this week. I just want to get the main plastic dash part back in, and leave everything else out. I'll likely pull the carpet as well and do some work under there.

Reactions: 1 user
So some purchasing of parts today:

Orderred the 1994 Mustang non-ABS line from classic tube. Should be here in a couple weeks. I also ordered new MM front stainless braided lines. I inspected my orginal lines and saw some questionable bends at the crimps. Decided at 20 years old...better off replacing them.

Started putting together the hydroboost brake lines, started by ordering the conversion fittings. The OEM lines won't really work for me where the Windsor pump mounts. Max motorsports offers a kit to convert the power steering rack to 6AN. SO I bought those. I also bought the fittings to convert the hydroboost unit itself to 6AN as well as the power steering pump to 6AN.

I figure I test fit the fittings and such now, and then run the hoses at a later date once the engine (and PS pump) are mounted. I'll have to find a clean way to mount the PS fluid reservoir as well.

Here's the diagram I am using as a guide. I'll likely stick a PS cooler in here as well which I believe should go somewhere on the blue line.

This applies to a 99-04 hydroboost. The 96-98 unit uses different fitting sizes

642c9ccf4b2359dbae4df4efda7da3c5.jpg

I'm just finishing up the same project engine bay, brake lines, dash frame rewrap harness blah blah. Your pics are helping me along. my question for you is can I bolt the frame and wiring to the dash before installing? The person who did my dash swap completely hacked everything together since your in Mass if you want to know who it is pm me and ill tell you the shop so you can stay clear. Keep up the great work bro.

I'm just finishing up the same project engine bay, brake lines, dash frame rewrap harness blah blah. Your pics are helping me along. my question for you is can I bolt the frame and wiring to the dash before installing?

Not sure. My concern would be the weight, and feeding it through the firewall. If you had two people it might be a bit easy to do this though.

Easiest route might be to bolt the dash to the frame, and then feed the harness in where it needs to go, and then if you can get both doors wide open you can probably manage feeding the harness through the firewall while you walk the dash in place.

I did this alone so I didn't want to go that route.

Not sure. My concern would be the weight, and feeding it through the firewall. If you had two people it might be a bit easy to do this though.

Easiest route might be to bolt the dash to the frame, and then feed the harness in where it needs to go, and then if you can get both doors wide open you can probably manage feeding the harness through the firewall while you walk the dash in place.

I did this alone so I didn't want to go that route.
Ahh got it i removed it in one piece and planned on reinstalling in 1 piece just trying to come up with a good plan. There is a decent amount of weight there that not many would expect by looking at it.

Yup. That wiring harness is pretty damn heavy and awkward.

Way I did it was the wiring went in first, and then I put the frame in. In hindsight, I wish I had assembled the wiring to the frame and clipped it all in place. The frame itself is light in the grand scheme of things.

Laying the plastic dash over the bolted in place frame is pretty easy. Just loosen the 4 bolts on the column up to drop it a couple inches, and remove the multifuction switch and the dash part is easy. I actually installed my dash, and then realized I needed it off for a few more tasks so off it came opeagain.

I'm actually going to pull my entire interior at some point. I want to put some sound deadener under the carpet, and weld in the rear 3-point seat belt mounts to install 90+ rear belts. Everything's gotta come out anyway, so not sure if will install the dash at this point.

Now that I' thinking about it. I do have one small tear in the floor pan I need to stitch weld up as well. I want to get the engine in the car before doing all thing.

Scope creep is a bitch.

Reactions: 1 users
Brake line arrived today.

94-95 non-ABS drivers front line. Fits into the fitting I installed on my stock combo vskve.

$45 plus shipping from Classic Tube part. Part number MU3070A-SC

0E0AAEC8-9E67-4B6D-BAFA-057FC3FA2642.jpeg

mocked up in place. I’ll have to come back later to asjust and clip into place
0928D409-7D56-4E70-9D89-6E89BBC6A2C6.jpeg

this gives a very clean 3-2 conversion without a slew of fittings and adapters

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
for instance, the throttle cable. Mine is rusted. New ones are not available. Looks like I’m sanding and painting
On that note, you need to come up with a clever solution for the outer covering. I mentioned to you about wanting some type of shrink wrap that could replace the outer plastic sheath. Mine works fine it's just that the outer layer has peeled off leaving a metal tube. I can't do great shrink tube because it won't go over the end. Any thoughts on a solution?

On that note, you need to come up with a clever solution for the outer covering. I mentioned to you about wanting some type of shrink wrap that could replace the outer plastic sheath. Mine works fine it's just that the outer layer has peeled off leaving a metal tube. I can't do great shrink tube because it won't go over the end. Any thoughts on a solution?

I ended up buying a nice one off eBay. It was just a time vs money thing. I wanted to keep the project moving.

but my cable is the same way. Outer sheath is cracking off. Not sure I see anyway to replace it just yet

Mike,

Your thread is one of the threads that is performing slowly since the upgrade. If you would like to create a new thread and archive/cross reference this one, gimme a holler.

Oh wait... You can do it too.

Think it over and shout if you need any assistance.

Mike,

Your thread is one of the threads that is performing slowly since the upgrade. If you would like to create a new thread and archive/cross reference this one, gimme a holler.

Oh wait... You can do it too.

Think it over and shout if you need any assistance.

not a bad idea. This one has run what? 12 years and thousands of posts. I think archiving it and putting a link would be best and starting a fresh thread. I also want to go through it and cull out the chit-chat.

I’ll have to do it once bsck on a PC

not a bad idea. This one has run what? 12 years and thousands of posts. I think archiving it and putting a link would be best and starting a fresh thread. I also want to go through it and cull out the chit-chat.

I’ll have to do it once bsck on a PC

Don't cut it up or anything... It just makes a mess of it. Pull resources forward that you want for the new thread and post link references to the source.

OK. Going to close this thread down and lock it up. It will pass into the archives of SN.

After more than 10 years, 3K replies and over 400K views, going to start a fresh thread. A link redirecting to the new thread will be posted below

I will also go back and clean up chit-chat in this thread to better streamline the content.

Link to continuation thread

And with that...goodbye old friend. It's been a good 12 year ride making this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Had to dig back quite a ways to find out the date I started this project. Looks like September 21st, 2019 was the date I pulled the hood off and started taking the engine apart.

SO Almost 3 years to the date.

I know i took it for a quick spin a couple months ago, but that was 500 feet or so and I never got out of 1st. This one felt like the first real drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.