Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you do anything to address oil consumption?

I used these rubber baffles and pushed them into the oil fill tube, I measured the i.d. and
got a size that fit tight. In hind sight I probably don't need them, I think I had to trim them a bit iirc.
I customized my valve covers so I have a oil fill tube on each one , I use them to vent into a catch can.
I have no oil consumption issues with this engine.

• Sponsors (?)

Nice. I'll likely do the same.

I'll take the grinder to the driver's side cover and remove those bosses. I'll take some playdoh to check clearances after. Since the covers are the same casting, if it works on one side, it should work on the other.

No where the hell is my grinder?

Pretty sure grinding those bosses down will do the trick. Sucks to lose the baffle but I can deAl with that
My driver side one is a efi cover that we welded a bung right in the front corner facing the ac compressor and it has had no baffle ever . Never an issue . Passenger side is a carb one with a fitting welded in the push in breather hole . I kept that baffle . No issue

Nice. I'll likely do the same.

I'll take the grinder to the driver's side cover and remove those bosses. I'll take some playdoh to check clearances after. Since the covers are the same casting, if it works on one side, it should work on the other.

No where the hell is my grinder?
that grinder is right over there.

Did you do anything to address oil consumption?

I have a small oil separator installed there but your solution will likely work fine until/unless you boost.

Of the small 'Husky' oil separators that you see at Home Depot, I might get 1/3 between oil changes. I just didn't want to feed that oil back to the intake. I didn't care too awful much about the little bit of loss.

THis is about that time of year I post about it being -5 out and 24” of snow on the ground.

Not today. No snow anywhere, sunny and 70

6E7BAA04-36C5-4F3C-9F99-10E89B874907.jpeg

And a week later.

Snow inbound

32C4400A-4B6B-4E8B-B716-F68E03F852D7.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Just a thought. I've seen then on cars running factory covers and roller rockers. I'm not a fan of the gaskets and prefer Felpro blue neoprene gaskets. The upper intake may need a spacer too to clear the valve covers.

Screenshot_20200118-223228_Chrome.jpg

I bought aboit those too, but didn’t like the gaskets on those and the fact I’d need to put a large spacer on the intake. I’m running a 3/8” spacer now and that’s as much as I can go before I am rubbing on the hood.

If I am gonna run a spacer that big anyway, I’d prob sell these and just go with the Proform/Ford racing slant covers.

Got my grinder ready. Can’t tackle it til Monday. I’m confident these will work when I remove one problem boss

Thanks to you and all your research, my wallet is about $500ish lighter. I ordered the Brembo brackets from LowRanger on SVT forum as well as front ATS Brembo calipers and rear Taurus calipers from Rock Auto. Hopefully they fit my front wheels, but I think they will since I have 18's and the front already has a decently large spacer due to the offset. This will hopefully fix my pedal issue as well, since I have the GT Master Cylinder with the Cobra brakes. Now I need to figure out pads and how I want to paint them all.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks to you and all your research, my wallet is about $500ish lighter. I ordered the Brembo brackets from LowRanger on SVT forum as well as front ATS Brembo calipers and rear Taurus calipers from Rock Auto. Hopefully they fit my front wheels, but I think they will since I have 18's and the front already has a decently large spacer due to the offset. This will hopefully fix my pedal issue as well, since I have the GT Master Cylinder with the Cobra brakes. Now I need to figure out pads and how I want to paint them all.

Let me know how it turns out. I plan on installing them as well but have a few things to do first obviously. One of these days soon I plan on painting up the calipers

Let me know how it turns out. I plan on installing them as well but have a few things to do first obviously. One of these days soon I plan on painting up the calipers

Will do, I assume it will be a few weeks to months though... I think the spacers are 3-4 weeks out from being ready to ship so I'll have to wait at least till then. And I still need to decide on pads, paint the calipers, and order some MM SS front brake hoses to match what I put on the rear when I did the IRS. That and I just got the heater core redone and have the car back on the road so I'll drive it for a bit as is.

Where did you order your brembo stickers from? Any recomendations on paint? Rattle can or brush on?

Will do, I assume it will be a few weeks to months though... I think the spacers are 3-4 weeks out from being ready to ship so I'll have to wait at least till then. And I still need to decide on pads, paint the calipers, and order some MM SS front brake hoses to match what I put on the rear when I did the IRS. That and I just got the heater core redone and have the car back on the road so I'll drive it for a bit as is.

Where did you order your brembo stickers from? Any recomendations on paint? Rattle can or brush on?

Your car is RED! Jet coated FTMFW!!!! :D

Your car is RED! Jet coated FTMFW!!!! :D

My car is currently Red... Red and Black are my two least favorite colors on a car. That said, if I go with red for the calipers then I'll be able to leave them for just about any color I choose to paint the car later (which it badly needs). Either way, you'll be able to follow along in my thread, enough hijacking of Mustang5l5's thread.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

I just got high temp vinyl off eBay. I did the current calipers with the running pony decals with it and it’s held up for 2 years.

I used the Duplicolor Caliper spray paint. Base coat, applied my decals, and clear on top. Still look great.

Not sure how it would hold up if you are road racing the car and generating major heat, but daily driving is fine

Next up. Drop engine off the stand onto the cradle, tap in the rear Main seal, install the flywheel and clutch and bolt the bellhousing on.

I need to open the trans up too, so you get to see that too. Some small leaks I want to fix. Stay tuned.

Even though only 1k miles since my 5-spd swap, I bought new hardware. Cheap insurance. Using the clutch I had though. Barely used

5960ABE5-2988-4CB5-A16B-DE1FC06C8F97.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.