Mustang5l5's Progress Thread -

BlakeusMaximus

Mustang Master
Jul 12, 2017
You rack the car on the machine. There is a computer program that has pretty much every vehicle on the road frame specs. Type the VIN in the computer and it'll give you the vehicles factory frame specs The program will tell you exactly where to hang targets off the bottom of the car from front to back. There is a laser you slide under the center of the car that rotates 360 degrees. That laser reads the targets and gives you a measurement back to the computer and tells you what is going on with the car. It'll tell you if the frame is off to the millimeter. Usually, most vehicles have a tolerance of five mils, meaning you can be RT/LT, UP/DOWN up to 5 mils and still have a straight frame/unibody. There are a bunch of different attachments that you use to pull frames. There are a couple hydraulic arms that you and position around the car and pull the damaged rails or body panels into place. They move around the frame machine depending where its damaged. You determine where you need to pull and pull the panels into place by reading the measurements on the computer. Its pretty cool to watch it in process. You can only straighten frames that are swayed, not buckled. If they are buckled you have to replace that part of the car.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
A couple sellers on eBay unloading NOS oil pans. I specifically wanted one with the low oil sensor that was a ford piece. The motorsport pan lacks the sender bung.

F4 pans, but I think they fit all 86-95s. Date code appears to be 1997.

IMG_2466.JPG
IMG_2467.JPG

My current pan has some questionable rust and both drain plugs leak a bit despite trying new plugs and gaskets each time I change the oil. This should fix that problem

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
When are you going to pull that engine Mike?
I'd like to drive the car this spring.

I'm thinking I gather parts and do it in Aug. that way I can be outside powerwashing the bay and other parts. It needs it.

Too cold in the winter, and I still need about $1k in parts (k member and misc engine odds and ends). I figure I buy stuff for that project but at least put a few miles on the new suspension and mass air swap to ensure everything ok

I don't like changing too much at once. Makes it harder to troubleshoot. If there's a clunk in the suspension I'd like to know it was there before k member or other major changes

But yeah...this is the final project and then the car is "done". I've been keeping my eye out for a nice clean 86GT t-top to do a 100% stock driver-grade Resto

Last edited:

Rdub6

Dec 29, 2017
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Not much to update. Too damn cold to work on the car. Garage is insulated but not heated so with it 0 outside it hovers around 40 degrees unless I open the door...which my wife seems to love to do. Had to unplug it to keep what little heat I have in there.

Anyway, mass air swap done at the ECU. Still neeed to install the o2 harness and wire in the vSS to the ECU. Then I can crank it up and see if it works.

Also, snagged some 96-04 spindles off eBay for $80/shipped. I'll use them with the MM k-member. I'll swap my new moog hubs over and ditch the dust shields.

IMG_2550.JPG

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Mass air swap done. Fired it up and no issues at all. Cranked right over and settled down to a stable idle.

Pulled the car out to flip it around again in the garage. Did a quick walk around. Unfortunately the iPhone picks up all the high frequency engine noise and not the exhaust note

View: https://youtu.be/4wVIzMzStR0

Played around a bit with theride height. I think the rear needs to drop a bit. Car is toed out so I need to adjust that and align it again.

IMG_2600.JPG

Going to take a little break. Got some house projects to tackle. After that....time to put this in

IMG_2607.JPG

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Picked up some rear lap belts. They look black, but what's curious is they are dated 1985. As far as I know 1985 didn't have a black interior option.

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

Compared to my front belts, they are black just have a different shine than the factory belts.

IMG_2588.JPG

They do say Must on the receiver, but what could they have come in?

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
Picked up some rear lap belts. They look black, but what's curious is they are dated 1985. As far as I know 1985 didn't have a black interior option.

Compared to my front belts, they are black just have a different shine than the factory belts.

They do say Must on the receiver, but what could they have come in?
Any Fox platform car from whichever supplier happened to cover that facility during those production months. :shrug:

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Any Fox platform car from whichever supplier happened to cover that facility during those production months. :shrug:
But the receiver cover says "MUST". From what I've found, only the Mustangs have that. I've been looking at other fox platform vehicles to rob lap belts from and have yet to see that detail in other cars

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
I more leaning toward the point that the supplier could have been one of any number and that specifications can be met without necessarily matching thread pattern.

The seat-belt material itself likely comes in bulk to a manufacturer to puts it all together to meet Ford's specification.

Aircraft seat-belts are that way. I've ordered the same seat-belt (same part number and NSN) for many years. No two were exactly alike though they were all specific to that aircraft, that seat, and that seat position.

95BlueStallion

You drunk?
10 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Dude, I hope this doesn’t rub you wrong, but I still feel like your front wheels sit toward the rear of the wheel wells... Is it possible your K member is pushed backward, and that may have something to do with the brace not fitting?