Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was some good weather for work on the car, that’s for sure!!! Looking forward to seeing your frame fabrication!!!
I notice your fuel lines look pretty new. How difficult was it snaking them back into place without linking them? I’m quickly coming up to that step.

I cheated. I had the trans and rear axle out of the car when I did them. Piece of cake.

I did help my buddy do them on his car with everything still in. It took a little longer but wasn’t impossible

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I cheated. I had the trans and rear axle out of the car when I did them. Piece of cake.

I did help my buddy do them on his car with everything still in. It took a little longer but wasn’t impossible

I was looking at the front, thinking if the strut was out it, would make it easier. Good to know it’s possible as is! Thanks!

Got the front suspension stripped down.

50A3694A-8752-4C8C-9FF3-E43A564BD12A.jpeg

Attempted to remove the k member. Unfortunately the bolts on the bad side are seized in the nuts. The spin in the tube, but the nuts are seized. Might have to cut them off.

Here are the bolts off the “good” side. Not good news

2618588C-E176-4C85-874E-C2A225AA3C96.jpeg

Looks like it’s time to pick up the welder from my buddy and get to work.

771DAC2D-14B8-4000-8E9B-6CBE78A0A816.jpeg

038BD556-125D-48D2-BC47-4B66BDB012A4.jpeg
You should be able to get some new flanged bolts online. The bolts used in the suspension are usually metric grade 10.9. My local Ace hardware actually has a great selection of flanged metric and standard bolts of all kinds of lengths.

You should be able to get some new flanged bolts online. The bolts used in the suspension are usually metric grade 10.9. My local Ace hardware actually has a great selection of flanged metric and standard bolts of all kinds of lengths.

I couldn't really find anything when I was looking... I think someone post link before for the OEM's from Ford, but thing they were like 20.00+ each... I ended up scoring a set of OEM bolts on ebay couple years ago that someone put a aftermarket k-member in... there were in perfect shape... and paid like 20.00-25.00 for the whole set including the nuts... since there the only things holding in the motor and whole front suspension... I didn't want to take a chance on some aftermarket bolt...

Hey Mike, if your "get the welder" comment was to weld up the holes, I can't stress how highly I recommend the smooth LMR panels. You can get them for $100 on sale usually, but they save you hours and hours of grinding and body work. Factory tooling so they basically fit right in, and drilling out the spot welds isnt too bad.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Hey Mike, if your "get the welder" comment was to weld up the holes, I can't stress how highly I recommend the smooth LMR panels. You can get them for $100 on sale usually, but they save you hours and hours of grinding and body work. Factory tooling so they basically fit right in, and drilling out the spot welds isnt too bad.

I'm not sure i'm going to weld up all the holes. I don't plan on going too crazy deleting things from the bay. I kinda wanted a clean, OEM look to it, so a lot of holes will be reused. Plus the bay is black so it should hide most of that.

Welder is for some frame rail repair. One side is ok, but the other side needs to be addressed. Once I tackle that, we will see how ambitious I am to do something like the smooth panels. Right now, they are a "maybe".

Reactions: 1 users
I couldn't really find anything when I was looking... I think someone post link before for the OEM's from Ford, but thing they were like 20.00+ each... I ended up scoring a set of OEM bolts on ebay couple years ago that someone put a aftermarket k-member in... there were in perfect shape... and paid like 20.00-25.00 for the whole set including the nuts... since there the only things holding in the motor and whole front suspension... I didn't want to take a chance on some aftermarket bolt...

There's a whole set of them on ebay for $55. I might by them. I really only need the 4 bolts and retainers by the spring perches. I'm going to hold off for now though. Going to be a few months before i'm ready to bolt the new K-member in.

I'm not sure i'm going to weld up all the holes. I don't plan on going too crazy deleting things from the bay. I kinda wanted a clean, OEM look to it, so a lot of holes will be reused. Plus the bay is black so it should hide most of that.

Welder is for some frame rail repair. One side is ok, but the other side needs to be addressed. Once I tackle that, we will see how ambitious I am to do something like the smooth panels. Right now, they are a "maybe".
I think as anal as you have been about every freakin thing you touch, leaving that bay full of holes will last about as long as takes to think about it. Having done it myself, I know now that anything below a certain view angle is wasted effort though. it really only amounts to the filling the holes in the strut towers if you get the front aprons Collin recommended. and for whatever reason Ford drilled the 73 bagillion holes in them, filling them is an improvement for any level of build.

I think as anal as you have been about every freakin thing you touch, leaving that bay full of holes will last about as long as takes to think about it. Having done it myself, I know now that anything below a certain view angle is wasted effort though. it really only amounts to the filling the holes in the strut towers if you get the front aprons Collin recommended. and for whatever reason Ford drilled the 73 bagillion holes in them, filling them is an improvement for any level of build.

I have a feeling once i get the welder in hand and finish the rails...i'll simply say "Well...while i'm here i might as well just fill these holes in. So you are probably right.

I agree though that some holes are way out of sight and not worth filling. Strut towers are the big ticket

OK, does anyone remember when I tried to install my MM 4-pt brace and found it didn't fit? Well with the K-member out, I decided to mock it up again.

My k-member definitely runs narrow, but it's undamaged. I see zero damage on it, or the frame rails. No idea what's going on. I measured my MM K-member, and the rear mounting pad bolt holes are about 1/2" narrower than on the MM K-member. I may have to slot them.

No damage visible. ALl my vin tags are intact and I see no repair on the fenders or doors, so I don't think the car was hit. Just no idea why I run narrow other than factory crappy tolerances

OK, does anyone remember when I tried to install my MM 4-pt brace and found it didn't fit? Well with the K-member out, I decided to mock it up again.

My k-member definitely runs narrow, but it's undamaged. I see zero damage on it, or the frame rails. No idea what's going on. I measured my MM K-member, and the rear mounting pad bolt holes are about 1/2" narrower than on the MM K-member. I may have to slot them.

No damage visible. ALl my vin tags are intact and I see no repair on the fenders or doors, so I don't think the car was hit. Just no idea why I run narrow other than factory crappy tolerances
yes I remember that, I installed that same brace on mine, and I gave you the measurements mine had installed on car.... mine had no fitment issues. Sounds like it was end of day, and they sent it... ;-)

yes I remember that, I installed that same brace on mine, and I gave you the measurements mine had installed on car.... mine had no fitment issues. Sounds like it was end of day, and they sent it... ;-)

The measurements of my brace matched yours, and it fits my MM k-member.

The front 4 spring perch bolts on my MM-Kmember match the factory one. However the rear mounts on the factory k-member are about 1" narrower. Been inspecting the frame rails and the k-member up and down. It's not damaged.

When I go to install the MM k-member, I may need to slot the rear holes slightly. I'm scratching my head as to why this is. All my doors and fenders are the original VIN-stickered parts showing no damage. The frame rail is straight. It's just narrower.

According to the marti report, the car was built Feb 10th, 1988. A wednesday. They did make 200K+ mustangs that year....so they prob just said "looks good from my house" and sent it.

"Must be a Wednesday car, never had a problem with it." You guys ever heard that before? You don't want a "Monday" car, everyone is coming back from the weekend, and you don't want a "Friday" car, no one gives a :poo: on Fridays. An old body man told me that a long time ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.