Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

What’s the latest Mike? How are you and your fam?

Immediate family fine. No signs of virus, no results on the testing yet.

Wife's mother is in the ICU. She went in 2 days ago. Stable, not critical, but being monitored. Not getting worse, but no sign of improving yet. WIfe's taking it rough because nobody can go there to be with her.

Locally, more and more people i know are getting tested with symptoms. We are anticipating a local shutdown any day now. I stocked up several weeks ago, and we've been shut in since last Thurs.

Converted my basement parts storage room into a mini-office. I figure i'll be here for a while

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Wife's mother is in the ICU. She went in 2 days ago. Stable, not critical, but being monitored. Not getting worse, but no sign of improving yet. WIfe's taking it rough because nobody can go there to be with her.

Locally, more and more people i know are getting tested with symptoms. We are anticipating a local shutdown any day now. I stocked up several weeks ago, and we've been shut in since last Thurs.

Sorry to hear, I hope you can ride this out in one piece.

Reactions: 1 user

Converted my basement parts storage room into a mini-office. I figure i'll be here for a while
Well damn that sucks, hope your MIL will be ok. Sure hope that you all were resistant to catching it too.

MIL still in ICU. Stable, seems to be pulling out of this. Day #13 since first coming down with fever. Day #5 in the hospital. We are starting to prep for her to come home.

Our test results came back neg, and this is day 14...so i'm free to socially distance myself at home depot now.

SInce we can take a step back now, I worked on the car a bit. I broke out the die grinder and hacked into the bad side of the car.

Here's the before:
55DD956B-9326-469F-A6E0-F62E9F7D9839.jpeg

And here's where i am now:
F66A0928-D6CB-40CE-B427-721CDB811EF7.jpeg

I have some more work to do, but same as the other side, but just more extensive. It seemed like dirt got into the rail from just driving on the road and once it got wet, it stayed wet. I power washed the car about a month ago, and there was still moisture inside. Seems it's in invite for rust.

SO this repair will be a bit trickier. I think i need to drill out the spot welds and remove the top plate and replace it. I hate to spend $270 on the LMR kit, so i will see if i can reproduce it myself, or just weld in a regular plate.

7A0564A6-0339-4E2E-A068-1817C247472F.jpeg
C1A24173-7306-480E-A1BB-24FC0AF48780.jpeg

I'm thinking I should remove this top plate. What do you think? Outside rail is solid. I need to remove the surface rust from the inside

I know i need to cut the bottoms out as they are rusted. I left them so i can measure where the K-member holes need to go.

Welder is in route...i am going to start with the "good" side.

Reactions: 2 users
Here’s the “good” passenger side.

Still some work to do here to prep it.

3406E9DA-6C5E-48A3-AAF0-4B1A80ABE9B6.jpeg

C7474F80-6A62-4878-8C8F-290DE093E273.jpeg

Looking down from the top. looks like I have some rust forming between the strut tower and the top plate. I'm debating cutting it out like the other side, or cleaning it up the best i can and leaving it alone. I should just take care of it while i'm here and dig it all out and patch the tower.

183AC690-E511-41E9-AEFD-C36E118D747C.jpeg

I've ordered some scrap steel to start mocking up and measuring. This side can get patched with scraps.

EDIT: actually, in the above pic I can see there's a break in the metal. I hate to cut it out though because I don't want to spend $270/side for the LMR kits if I don't need to. Too bad these parts weren't available seperately.

Glad to here your tests are neg, hope things get better for your MIL.
I still have the drivers side new edge donor section, I could probably trim it down to what you need and ship it if you're interested. Something like this.
IMG_20200118_141552346 (1).jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks. Illl keep you in mind. Might be a bit more work than I want to do to cut that section in there.

Going to try the easy section first, and try this kit with a few extra scraps of steel.

I may open up the strut tower and replace the top plate just to be complete.

I realize I still have more cutting/wirewheel to do. Just didn’t want to go to town til I had critical dims.

But I can stomach $200 for both those kits vs almost $600 for then LMR kits which have more than what I need

Reactions: 1 user
Whichever way you choose, just be sure you get it all out while you’re there. I’m hoping I did a good enough job on mine, being it’s a bitch to pull the engine to have access.

Glad you and the immediate fam came back negative. That being said, don’t assume you can’t still get from being out at large. It seems pretty unforgiving. Keep being diligent man.

Glad you and the immediate fam came back negative. That being said, don’t assume you can’t still get from being out at large. It seems pretty unforgiving. Keep being diligent man.

Definitely. Really haven't left the house. Wife is a teacher and is home, and i've been working from my basement office with limited trips to the lab.

The kiddos are going crazy, but fortunately we have a decent yard they can go out in play in. I've gone for hikes in the nearby woods. Our 'hood is quiet, so possible to get outside and not see people.

I'll order one of the scott rod kits shortly, so i can see where i need to cut and carefully cut the rust out, and then clean up everything else. I have time.

Ok. Finally got some free time. Been a busy month.

Finally got a chance to really clean the 98 cobra wheels. Well, the two front ones right now

Cleaned up real well with an hour of elbow grease
D674FB9B-BF1C-426C-8228-264276EB4DCC.jpeg

70404911-0EE9-4A32-BEF7-728FD8F1E1B7.jpeg

A95FF00A-FB02-4DF0-82AB-CC70A3DF499D.jpeg

8658FD65-55DE-494F-8B4E-9A3236BD729E.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.