Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled the other side. Not as bad. I scored the lip with a knife first and that seemed to help. You really gotta be down on the ground to see the chips though, but alas I'll grab some UA touchup paint

IMG_3927.JPG

Cars alignment is spot on now, at least up to 50mph. Really driving nice now.

Did 4 plugs on the easy (drivers) side. No surprises, nor did I expect to find any. But at least I'll have new plugs. I'll do the pass side tomorrow night.

Signed up with a local Mustang club. Hope to do some shows this summer. For the most part I've been cruising alone. Kinda would like to hang out with a few other fox guys around here. The s197/s550 guys don't even wave....

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Final "stance" shot. You can see why I had to roll the fenders. Car sits low. Rides well despite the height. Coil-overs....I recommend them even for cruisers.

IMG_3979.JPG

The bagster ruins the shot
IMG_3984.JPG

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Why are the headrest different? I bought a set a year or so ago to go into my project... now I have to go look at them in the basement to see which head rest I have... I do know they have the set-belt on the side like that... but I just don't think they looked like those round headrest ones...

2003-2004 GT's with the "Interior Upgrade Package" came with the big 4-way headrests that tilt forward. Not that common on the GT seats, but 01 bullitts and Cobras, and 2003-2004 Mach 1's and Cobras also got the big headrests.

Mustang5L5, how would you compare those seats in your car vs stock 90+ fox seats? My car has a set of seats in it that look just like the seats on the left in your pic. I like them alright, but the drivers seat leather is in rough shape. I was debating putting a set of stock seats back in it instead of recovering the current seats.

I wasn't a huge fan of them. That's ultimately why I replaced them. I thought they looked great in the car, especially with halo headrests and the fact they were in like-new condition, but overall driving impression was poor. They just didn't hold me very well. I felt like I sat ON them, vs IN them. Very comfortable seat though and if I was daily driving the car and on the road for a while, i'd like these for comfort.

I thought the fox seats were a bit more supportive simply for the fact that you sink into the seats a bit more, so you sit a little lower. I wanted a set of 87-89 high back GT seats with the big headrests. I was going to buy a set, and recover them in black. That was my plan until I came across the recaros.

They Always did look great though

IMG_7702.JPG

Took the accel coil out and swapped in a low mileage stocker. Didn't get to test drive to see if my hesitation has been eliminated. Did plugs and new coil. The wires have maybe 200 miles on them.

Already went through fuel, so unless it's an injector I don't think it's the issue.

It it's not the coil, it might be dist...and I'll deal with that by ditching it eventually.

How is the quality of accel coils? Junk or decent.

IMG_4169.JPG

Yeah. Not a lot of options. I really don't like on the VC and I really want a nice looking engine bay when done. I originally wanted to just do the wasted spark coils but plans change I guess. Just ebayed off all my edis8 parts but kept the cam sensor for now.

Gonna model one coil up in CAD and see if I can package them where I want. There's a ton of relocation brackets on eBay so I've gotten some ideas.

Found a CAD file for a D585 coil before I started to make one of my own. Did a test print on the 3D printer at work. I'll print off 7 more.

I'll use the printer for a few ideas on how to mount these. The plastic coils will cut down on the weight vs trying to mount the real ones on thin pla plastic

I've got three ideas...

IMG_4263.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Just an update for those not following my progress thread specifically dedicated to the ms3x build.

Unit is built. I've added a few extras to use my trans VSS and a front abs wheel sensor for traction control use at some point. Bench tested it, and it all works great. Wired right now to run the stock tfi setup but eventually will go to LS coils. Added some extras like fan control, shift light, and setting it up to even run my air pump setup (I'm running cats) and turn the fan on with AC.

Wiring harness built, but waiting to double check a few connection ideas before splicing the ms3s harness to the rotunda harness.

Pair of wide band o2s

Android tablet I won at work that I'll use for shadow dash. I'll have to add Bluetooth to the ms3 box at some point. I might grab an android double din radio and use that for shadow dash. I just want to casually monitor a few things like volts, oil pressure, water temp, etc and ditch my a pillar guages

IMG_4335.JPG

Waiting to throw it in right now. Nice weather just hit and I want to drive the car.

Other than this, I'm stockpiling fluids, gaskets, hardware and other odds and ends for the motor work I am doing this winter. Plan is to pull the motor right at the end of Aug

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Update on the coil. I've driven it a handful of time since installing the "new" stock coil. That hesitation/stumble over 3K RPM is gone. I've yet to experience it since the swap.

Needless to say, i'm starting to think the issue was that old Accel coil. Car actually feels a bit healthier up top as well. Before, I could manage a healthy chirp into 2nd...now i'm roasting the tires if I am too strong on that 1-2 shift.

It's running quite well. Going to drive it a few more months and then pull the motor and finally add some power.

EDIT: Coil was the issue. Hesitation is completely gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Be careful what is the power band of that FTI cam? Just because I'm making almost 500hp na does not mean I go to a 2.73:1 rear gear. I'm running 4.56:1 to keep the rpms higher where the engine is making power. Your new engine will hit harder mid and high rpm but may not necessarily have the grunt that the stock engine has off idle.

I specifically asked Ed to favor torque in the low RPM range in combination with my ported explorer intake. It suits my driving style and what I actually do with the car which is usually 2K-4K pulls from a low cruise. I'm rarely over 4500rpm with the car these days

But, I will hold off until I get some miles on the car to see how it actually drives and where the power really is

I believe your car is just a nice weather street cruiser like mine.
Just fyi, I've been running my stock T5z (75k mi.) behind the original 302 with 3 different s/c set-ups and now an n/a 393w.
Obviously I don't beat on it or launch on slicks, just some spirited street driving from time to time, so
you should have some time to decide if you want to invest in a 6spd.

I have a busted T-5 sitting around. Cheapest option would be to just buy the astro 485 TQ kit and call it a day. Probably perfectly adequate for what I need if the current T-5 doesn't hold up. I priced out some of the other trans and with the additional items I need, it's just expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Finally got out for a nice long drive this AM. Sunroof off, 70 degrees, car running great. Def an enjoyable AM. Now back to kids and house projects

IMG_4586.JPG

LMR is having a 10% off sale....so I bought something

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Finally put my ONYX car cover on. This thing is like yoga pants for cars (not that I know what that feels like). Very tight and stretchy yet soft. It looks more expensive than it actually was

IMG_4626.JPG

Reactions: 6 users
Look what showed up early.

IMG_4653.JPG

Also....fender rolling...I hate it. Need to touch this up. Tire must have caught the rolled lip slightly and tore some paint

IMG_4654.JPG

Also, did you know a replacement EPAS steering rack for a '14 taurus cost $1k? I know now because I need one

TIMe for a drink

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Very nice. What’s first, the rear PHB set up?

Can't do the PHB until the exhaust is back on the car. Only reason I didn't do it is because I bought the new Bassini X-pipe and didn't want to install it in case it shifted the location of the tailpipes slightly back or foreward. I didn't install the x-pipe yet because I wanted to drive the car.

In other words...I've got another big pile of parts building.

Unfortnately I just found out my DD needs the steering rack replaced @ $2500.....so going to put off buying Mustang parts for a bit

Been a slow couple weeks. So much pollen in the air I dare not take the car out after detailing it several hours a couple weeks ago.

Greased and assembled the 3-piece bushings in my A-arms. These are now wall-hangers for a few months

IMG_4764.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.