Progress Thread Finally got a new truck

• Sponsors (?)

Seems to work that way with my house too. Replacing refrigerator lead to 4 new appliances, which now has me shopping for floor tile! I’m sure that will lead to my least favorite home improvement task of painting!! :( I am afraid my stang will not get much love this summer!!

Back to you Blake!!

So I’m planning on putting my rear spring isolators in this weekend. If I have time, I’m going to pull my gauge cluster out, (again,) for the 20th time it seems like, and see if I can get my speedo working. I took a drill to my original speedo that was in the car (it’s out now) when I bought it and it worked fine with the drill at various speeds. 20, 30, 50 and even 100mph. Didn’t bounce, I couldn’t confirm it didn’t squeak due to the noise of the drill but it seemed to work fine. I didn’t when it was in the car. Which leads me to the cable. Maybe I didn’t put enough lube on it? I’m going to slather up the grease on that bastard 3/4 the way down and see if I can get that to work. I do have a new Motorcraft VSS sensor and a new cable installed already. Right now it’s pegged past 140 and doesn’t move any more. Bugs me. We’ll see what happens. I have an extra speedo in now and that’s not working either. What are the chances of both speedos being bad? I’m thinking the cable isn’t lubed enough.

14F1D281-F1B2-4B41-9B69-0B6A889883F7.jpeg

I ruined a speedo by using a new cable that was made too long. It puts too much pressure on the bearing in the head. I cut my inner and that cured it. Make sure the locking sleeve locks easily without pressing hard

I ruined a speedo by using a new cable that was made too long. It puts too much pressure on the bearing in the head. I cut my inner and that cured it. Make sure the locking sleeve locks easily without pressing hard
Where did you cut it @STEVE PATTON, just in case I need to. Im not sure I need to, but I would assume if I did, I would just keep a little slack in it?

Last edited:
Gotcha. I think the length is ok on mine, if I remember right. Im pretty sure I didn't use enough lube. The cable clips into the back of the speedo easily. I want to check the connection at the VSS sensor as well.

So I jacked up and set my car down on jackstands, pulled the wheels off, took the sway bar off, unbolted the worn out shock, and a even more worn out quad shock dropped the axel down on the left side and pulled the spring out of the car. I open up my new box of spring isolators and attempt to swap them out. I’ve had these new isolators for about 3-4 years and never really looked at em. Turns out, they are isolators for the front springs!! :mad: I could have sworn I bought rears, but it’s been a long time. So my wife comes out to check on me and told her what’s up. She laughs and says you should always check your parts before you start. How can I argue with that? Dammit. I searched through my box of parts and I don’t have em. I called the local NAPA and Oriellys and they don’t stock them. So I put everything back together. Granted, this isn’t a hard job, but it still bugs. I was going to pull out my speedo cable after this task but I lost my motivation. Now I’m sitting out in the back yard having some beers. Maybe tomorrow, or Monday. As far as the rear suspension goes, I’ll probably just do it all at once. I think the shocks and quads are originals.

C17BE6D0-7CA0-4615-9A74-7C7109E3CBD0.jpeg
614879FF-9849-419D-B4F7-FEE48B7E6EA1.jpeg
473FB358-8800-4F9F-8EA7-D9F1D482ADB9.jpeg
BD7DF4D0-B629-43EF-907E-6F27C6E27B33.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I jacked up and set my car down on jackstands, pulled the wheels off, took the sway bar off, unbolted the worn out shock, and a even more worn out quad shock dropped the axel down on the left side and pulled the spring out of the car. I open up my new box of spring isolators and attempt to swap them out. I’ve had these new isolators for about 3-4 years and never really looked at em. Turns out, they are isolators for the front springs!! :mad: I could have sworn I bought rears, but it’s been a long time. So my wife comes out to check on me and told her what’s up. She laughs and says you should always check your parts before you start. How can I argue with that? Dammit. I searched through my box of parts and I don’t have em. I called the local NAPA and Oriellys and they don’t stock them. So I put everything back together. Granted, this isn’t a hard job, but it still bugs. I was going to pull out my speedo cable after this task but I lost my motivation. Now I’m sitting out in the back yard having some beers. Maybe tomorrow, or Monday. As far as the rear suspension goes, I’ll probably just do it all at once. I think the shocks and quads are originals.

C17BE6D0-7CA0-4615-9A74-7C7109E3CBD0.jpeg
614879FF-9849-419D-B4F7-FEE48B7E6EA1.jpeg
473FB358-8800-4F9F-8EA7-D9F1D482ADB9.jpeg
BD7DF4D0-B629-43EF-907E-6F27C6E27B33.jpeg

Oh man.... that’s a buzzkill for sure! But look at that paint!!!!! That’ll make you smile!

Reactions: 1 user
They didn’t have em, went out to lunch today and stopped by. Oh well, I’ll get all new rear stuff soon. I might have new job coming up. I’m going to talk to another bodyshop owner on Tuesday after work. It’s one of the best and busiest shops in Albuquerque. Well see. One of my old friends is recommending me. Could be a big opportunity for me. Speaking of tornados, @Davedacarpainter, pretty :poo:ty out here today. Huge winds and now rain. We were working on my sons car and had to leave mine outside for a bit. Now it’ll need a bath.
4168529C-CBD6-4F3A-A517-2DB0AF841C40.jpeg
3193FC03-5858-4A68-94FB-51EA312C866A.jpeg

A1BBC693-E611-4B9D-AEF9-9853E8D612DE.jpeg

Last edited: