Progress Thread Finally got a new truck

Your car is coming along nicely. The plastics look great. Sucks about your PDR guy, but sounded like he was d*cking you around for a while.

I have had the itch for a car like your son’s ever since I sold my ‘11 GT. It was awesome hopping into that car with great power, fuel economy, cold AC and beautiful style. I miss it, and love the ‘15+ models even more. They are so solidly made. But I have a daughter that requires the daycare payment that used to pay for that car, so I’ll keep piddling with the Fox until it someday resembles a $40k car...

Yeah man. The car is a 15. 25k on it, he bought it from one of his friends moms. I get to hop in it every once in a while. The brakes are Brembos and have crazy stopping power. He’s put some money into it, it’s fun to drive.

Thanks Stallion. I’m glad that all the panels and the plastics are repaired, (minus the roof.). I feel like I’ll be hitting the home stretch soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So I stayed late after work and got one of the quarter glasses sanded down. I actually think they will coming out looking pretty good. I thought I would have time to do both, but I’ll get the other one sanded in the next couple days, then a couple coats of primer, little more sanding, then paint.

F623B153-53FF-4D1A-9232-489011C327AF.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
So it looks like I’ll be doing some bodywork on my roof. Not really what I wanted to do but my PDR guy is not available to do it for various reasons. I’ll probably get started on the roof this week and I should have it done by this weekend. It’s not horrible but I’ll have a few spots will have to swipe. In the meantime I’ll get my quarter glasses finished and probably sand and prime my mirrors as well. So next week I’ll start blocking the primer down and getting everything ready for paint. So I’m planning to have a my car done in the next couple weeks, at least with the paint and body.

Reactions: 6 users
I was talking to the painter about the dents on the roof today when we were priming my glass moldings. There are about 20-30 small hail dents, some close together, some spread apart, so if I were to do conventional body work up there it would probably turn out pretty wavy. He has dabbled in PDR work before on the side. He is actually an all around body shop guy. He grew up doing this stuff. His dad was a body man so he has done everything related to this business since he was a kid, prep, paint, welding, body work, frames, etc. I had no idea that he has all the tools and light setups to do PDR work. He has done quite a few PDR side jobs for a few years now. We had a huge hail storm roll through here last summer and he did a bunch of cars for people out of his garage on the side. If you haven't seen this method of repairing hail dents, its pretty neat, google it. So, I'm going to drop my headliner down and have him repair those dents versus mudding my entire roof and kicking myself in the ass later for doing it. I've known this guy for a quite a few years and trust that he'll do a good job. At the very least, if I have to clean up a couple spots after he's done, it'll be better than having a roof full of filler. So, that's the next thing to do. After that, I can start blocking the car and getting it ready for paint.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone removed headliners without screwing them up? I can’t remember what material they are made out of. I’m afraid it’s that particleboard type bull:poo: that might break. If anyone has any tips let me know. Is it the same material that’s in the inside of the door trim panels? I’ve already got the quarter trim panels loosened up and I know you have to take the sunvisors and the dome light out. That’s no big deal. All I really need to do is just drop it down So we can get some PDR tools in there

Last edited:
They are fairly easy to remove but the little plastic clips that hold up the sides above the doors tear up the cardboard in that area. You can pop them out with a door panel tool. If the cardboard gets wet it's junk. I think lmr sell a replacement board that is pvc.
Oh, and don't forget to remove the rear view mirror first! Makes things much easier.

Thanks thief. Yeah I won’t be getting this thing wet. I’m just hoping I can get it out without breaking it. I have access to a huge assortment of clips I’m not worried about that.

One more thing, if you can swing it get some dynomat or something similar for the inside roof, the little squares of insulation the factory put up there is crap and usually falls off, you'll thank me later.

The clip looks like a T and there is a small cutout in the cardboard that it fits into, I think there are only 2, one on each side but it was so long ago that I did mine. I have a sun roof car :mad: and the cardboard was junk.

Yeah I saw those, black ones right? By where your head would be? There’s only two of them? I guess the sun visors hold up the front?

Yes and the windshield trim too. The lighted visors have wire that runs through the post and can be a pain to un plug. The trim at the windshield is hard to remove also, it has to be pulled straight down, I made two L shaped pieces of metal to slide in the front and back of the trim. Pull straight down, if you slide the tools around a little you should be able to feel where to clips are, take your time and DON'T pry against the windshield.

So I came in again this morning to wet sand my plastics. Bumpers, ground effects, wing and rocker moldings. I was hoping to drop that headliner down today but I gotta head home. Came in around 630 this morning. I’ll drop the headliner Monday after work so we can PDR the roof next week. All I can say is wet sanding is some tedious stuff. These are all ready for paint
4929207E-C9CB-4F22-BD5A-5C2E78A8D50C.jpeg
E1AD0FE2-B77D-40A1-8378-F8BD6E85F602.jpeg
3F771EF8-5C5A-4E92-8FC2-5855F9AEC2EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got the headliner out for PDR work that is going to get done, should be this week. Really wasn’t that bad. The two pieces of insulation underneath each came out in one piece, pretty much. I already had the rear quarter trims loosened up and just had to drop the sun visors and lamps. Not too messy either. My headliner really isn’t that dirty. Looks like :poo: in the pic. Lighting maybe. Or maybe it is just dirty!
1A97E86A-7131-4837-85F8-EFA78B24CD89.jpeg
E07B9735-1DC6-4B44-AA29-AADED2D7AA5A.jpeg
23B953B2-64F8-4F35-98AF-4CA7756C29C0.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users