Progress Thread My 89 Lx Gets The Trickflow Top End Treatment Etc....etc.

Jersey Joe

I remember blowing that Monkey's ass
10 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Bloomingdale N.j.
After paint, trim and a bunch of other exterior work, it was finally time to address the motor. Motor is basically original except for a few bolt ons

20160704_163737-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Purchased Trickflow top end on black Friday from Summit at a pretty decent discount and the supporting mods from LMR. Figured if it's gotta come off I might as well replace it.
24lb Ford EV6 injectors
75mm Accufab polished egr and throttle body
76mm BBK billet calibrated maf
BBK unequal shorty headers
BBK off road x pipe
3 row SVE aluminum radiator
Ford water pump
SVE silicone radiator hoses
Ford lifters

20151207_190500.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Got the accessories off with out too much trouble, removed the battery so I could place the a/c compressor on the tray. I didn't want it sitting on my fender. I left the power steering pump hooked up and just layed it on the ground for now.

20160705_132001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Next came the water pump, the upper intake, vacuum lines are a pain in the ass, the distributor, set the rotor on #1 at top dead center and removed it, hopefully it goes back in without any major timing problems......hopefully.

20160706_133403.jpg

Last edited:
Easy part is done, hopefully you bagged and tagged everything!! Inexpensive snack & sandwich size bags along with a Sharpy are a big necessity with this kind of tear down so hopefully you already did that.

Good luck!

Easy part is done, hopefully you bagged and tagged everything!! Inexpensive snack & sandwich size bags along with a Sharpy are a big necessity with this kind of tear down so hopefully you already did that.

Good luck!
Luckily I did because I'm already forgetting what was what, i also marked some of the wire and hose connections,

So this is the part where things slowed down, I thought I had the right disconnect tool for the fuel lines...but they were the smaller type that worked on my trucks fuel tank but not large enough for this, so off to Advanced auto parts because they're close and I bought the plastic set ( I know the metal ones are better but I wanted right now not better ) with actually very little effort they worked. My second unforeseen stupid obstacle was the heater tube, I figured you loosen the clamps and off it would come right ?? Wrong , I had to basically mutilate the factory clamp to get it loose enough to remove the hose that leads to the heater core. For some reason the stuff that people dread ( water pump bolts ) went very well, it's the stupid little things that are pissing my time and patience away

ATTACH=full]560531[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20160706_133414.jpg
    20160706_133414.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
So when things aren't going that great, frustrated, and you picked July for working on your project like a dope, you soak your head with Sammy's medicine and regroup. Haha
20160706_174210-1.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
That stock manifold has to go. Mine has the snot ported out of it, and I still want a prepped Explorer in my car, not the attic. Please put an Ice pack in some of your pockets to stay cool and keep up the details on how it goes!

After I cooled off I went back at it again, finally got the lower manifold out, broke a clip on an injector plug but I guess I'll deal with that later, Buddy of mine was suppose to loan me his puller but he grabbed the balancer installer by mistake. DOH !! Went over to Advanced Auto and got a puller it came off without a fight along with the timing cover.
20160707_154219.jpg

After I cooled off I went back at it again, finally got the lower manifold out, broke a clip on an injector plug but I guess I'll deal with that later, Buddy of mine was suppose to loan me his puller but he grabbed the balancer installer by mistake. DOH !! Went over to Advanced Auto and got a puller it came off without a fight along with the timing cover.
20160707_154219.jpg

Man, don't sweat those clips on the injector plugs. Half of them are broken on my calypso car and not one has ever given me a problem. Just push them together and go. They don't come loose, there is too much friction.

Reactions: 2 users