Engine My 95 gt idling rough

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
So my car is idling rough and stalls out after running for around 20 minutes. It will start back up but unless I give it throttle it continues to stall. The only codes I get are for crossover tube missing to back of heads as my heads do not have the passages. I ran cylinder balance test numerous times and it always comes up 90. The motor has aluminum heads , trick flow stage 1 cam and gt 40 upper and lower. I have never been able to get the car running right with the gt 40 setup. Before I did the hci swap I tried installing the gt 40 setup and it ran lousy so I reinstalled the stock upper and lower and it ran fine. I have recently tried replacing the lower intake gaskets 3 times with the same results. Im starting to think the intake is warped or just not sealing for some reason. the vacuum at idle is around 15hg and fluctuates down to 13. I just cant keep spending money on intake gaskets hoping it will somehow cure the problem. Since the car passes the cylinder balance test wouldn't that rule out out a lot of different things and that coupled with the fact of having no DTCs leads me to believe it is a vacuum leak. Please help.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm going to to the u-pullit and see if they have a tfi module but the pickins are gettin really thin for older cars at the graveyard's around here. The dizzy is new so that being said the only other thing I may do is take the lower intake over to my local machine shop and have him check it out.

Seriously no replies ? .Im a 20 year member and have built numerous 2.3 turbo mustangs and rangers from info gained on the 2.3T forums. Even sold motors to members from out of state and IMHO the 2.3T forum guys were a really good bunch dedicated to helping other members.and even back in the day on the 5.0 forums there was guys helping out but I guess if someone is not in the click these days not many folks are willing to help. Im done posting. I can still use the search function.

I apologize. In retrospect I think that maybe there's prolly just not as many pushrod 5.0 guys on site anymore, just like when I go to the u-pullit and the pickins are really slim in regards to parts for our outdated cars. It seems that most of the OBD1 technology vehicles have been compacted years ago. Wish I could turn back the hands of time for many different reasons.

Last edited:
Seriously no replies ? .Im a 20 year member and have built numerous 2.3 turbo mustangs and rangers from info gained on the 2.3T forums. Even sold motors to members from out of state and IMHO the 2.3T forum guys were a really good bunch dedicated to helping other members.and even back in the day on the 5.0 forums there was guys helping out but I guess if someone is not in the click these days not many folks are willing to help. Im done posting. I can still use the search function.
You just haven't looked in the right places...
More than 250,00 people have had the same problems, so you aren't unique...

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

You just haven't looked in the right places...
More than 250,00 people have had the same problems, so you aren't unique...

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.
[/Q