Paint and Body My car is finally home

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
I went to the body shop last Saturday, apparently they have yet another new shop manager so I had to make sure he knew what was expected. And of course he couldn't find the Hagerty estimate I gave the shop when I dropped the car off, so they got yet another copy. I'm getting real tired of this charade.

They have also "misplaced" my MM full length connectors and new OEM door handles.

In the last month and a half, absolutely nothing has been done to the car to remedy the issues they created with the crap paint job, and the wrong clear coat finish. Not to mention the horrible overspray, poor tape job, and significant runs in the paint. The condition of the car is worse now than it was before the fire. They put the car in the back 40, hidden away, neglected, and forgotten about. To say I'm angry is an understatement.

So I am now in the beginning process of getting my money back and having my car moved to a shop in another nearby city. The current shop has repeatedly lied, done work I never asked for, or got approval from Hagerty for, and now lost valuable parts that I had to source.

More and more it seems businesses are only out to screw the insurance companies, the customer, and only maximize profits by assuming we are stupid.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

If they are your insurance company you need to let them know what is going on. Not just from a litigation standpoint but they have this shop on a 'list' of approved body shops and they need to strike them from the 'list'.
They did tell you to take it to this shop right?

This shop isn't on their list. There weren't any approved shops within 100 miles of my address.

I know, I know... believe me, bad choices were made and I know I'll pay for it in the end, literally...with more money.

This shop isn't on their list. There weren't any approved shops within 100 miles of my address.

I know, I know... believe me, bad choices were made and I know I'll pay for it in the end, literally...with more money.
You shouldn't have to, any parts missing, damage done by negligence on their part and/or work done that was sub par is recoverable, they have insurance for this.
Well at least they should.
Take pics of the car where it sits and then have the car towed to your home, if you can take the adjuster that first wrote the claim with you do it. Any monies that cost you to bring it back to the condition before the fire, including parts, towing and repairs should not come out of your pocket.
I hate it when a shop takes advantage of a customer.
And I hate it when a customer will not fight crappy shops that take advantage of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Update...

The car is still at the body shop....still. I took the day off of work to go down there and speak with the owner. The shop foreman and I got into it, and I let him have it verbally. He supposedly got fired later that day.

I did get to finally speak with the owner of the shop face to face and let him know how upset I was about this whole ordeal, and asked why my car is being repaired like a Maaco or Earl Scheib car. He didn't have an answer. He assured me that my car will be done in 1 month, and that it will be done right.

I just wanted an original factory type paint job to go with the repairs, and for the paint to be done correctly. Parts haven't been replaced that were outlined in the estimate, they tried covering up the original warped front bumper cover replacement by repairing and filling in the license plate holder holes. I caught them and have photos of said "replacement" cover. There is overspray and poor tape jobs all over the car including runs, damage from sanders, and just total carelessness.

The house is coming along nicely. We ran into some problems with the framing. The garage trued falling over when they started taking the rafters down to be replaced. The rain has slowed things down a bit because my original 1955 oak floors got soaked and needed drying. Siding is getting done now, and shingles aren't too far behind.

Here are some photos of the house and the car:

How the house is currently. Siding is being replaced.
20200722_134142.jpg

Pictures of the roof system being replaced
20200702_132648.jpg

How the car looked when I saw it yesterday
20200721_085214.jpg

Close up of the runs, overspray, etc.

20200721_084927.jpg

20200721_084911.jpg

20200721_085310.jpg

20200721_085059.jpg

I know, take it somewhere else. If I had not paid them any money yet it would be at a different shop. When they call to tell me it's done, and I go to pick the car up and it isn't correct I'm going to ask for my money back, and take it somewhere else. The 2 tone is completely wrong, it doesn't match the trim paint code (YJ). Hagerty paid to have several parts removed to make the proper paint repairs, which they ignored and just taped.

I hate to say this, but being in this business also, I think you have already seen their best work. If they can't handle something as simple as removing the antenna base, or the door handles, there is no way in hell I would want them trying to remove window trim, or quarter glasses ( I've been doing this 25 years and still managed to break one of mine). My fear is the more they work on your car the more damage they are going to do that will need to be corrected by someone else.
Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Because it would cost thousands to get it there and back. I talked to Dave over the phone and we both agreed the logistics would be difficult and expensive.

Jesus . They couldn’t take the antenna base or the 1 screw out of that trim molding to remove it . Insane . Definitely would be looking to send it somewhere else

Even the quarter glass could be out in an hour tops . It’s not that bard and not like they aren’t getting paid. i feel for you man .

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
They didn't remove any glass except the windshield, which was replaced. Not even the sunroof was removed. Door lock cylinders, door handles, back glass and trim, spoiler, bumper covers, ground effects and door body moldings were all left in place. Maaco would do a better job.

They know I'm super pissed, and if it gets to that point, I'll take them to civil court. I have lots of photos of their shoddy work.

So your lower code is YJ, like I posted in your other thread seems to be a hard color to narrow down.
I had places tell me it was light titanium, smoke, light grey etc. but mine was definitely single stage.
Sorry to see the shoddy work, hope you get it straightened out.

I told the shop owner that code is for the trim, and that it is a single stage matte finish. It shouldn't have to be up to me to find this information, or where to find the paint. He just wants to sand the clear coat and apply a matte clear, which is wrong.