Paint and Body My car is finally home

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
  • Sponsors (?)

I called Hagerty today. The rep said he would contact the shop to find out what the issues are, go over the estimate, and find out why the issues aren't being resolved. I also spoke to a lawyer, and the best I can hope for is a partial refund, and the worst is small claims court. The car is over 25 years old and the motor vehicle repair act doesn't apply anymore. He does agree I'm getting screwed, but litigation would cost more than the car is worth. This is probably going to cost me thousands out of pocket to get the paint brought back to factory condition.

I hate crooked shops.

As I've said before, there isn't a Hagerty recommended shop within 100 miles of my address. And because of that, Hagerty really has no legal recourse.

I’m a body shop manger. I’ve worked in body shops almost my whole life. When I customer and complains long enough, and is never happy with the repairs they usually get what they want, and I’ve worked in some of the best shops around my area. Let em have it!! What are they telling you exactly? What can’t they get it right?

Last edited:
I've caught them not replacing parts outlined in the estimate. They also didn't remove parts outlined in the estimate that are necessary to complete repairs properly such as door handles, door locks, rear spoiler, sunroof, door trim, hood, headlights, ground effects, etc. You get the picture. It was a tape and spray, and a poor one at that. The lower trim color is the wrong color and finish. They took the YJ paint code and mixed it for body color, not the YJ single stage matte trim paint code. The trim is now the wrong color and is a gloss clear instead.

The bumper cover in the estimate is line #1, and was to be replaced. They have "repaired" it and I caught them doing as much. The sunroof was to be replaced, Hagerty paid $1200 to replace it, they haven't done that, and they aren't planning to. There is overspray on the quarter windows, back glass trim, lower trim, antenna base, fender wells, headlights, and sunroof.

All of my parts are in the rear hatch of the car strewn about and probably damaging the door panels. Even the burned parts are in the hatch area instead of thrown away.

I'm not looking for a show car paint job, all I wanted was a factory style paint job with the correct colors. I doubt they ever correctly repaired the dent in the roof, or will put the 5.0 badges on in the correct spot on the fenders.

They will be seeing me every Saturday until I get my car back, and until it's done right.

I've been told I really have no recourse until I take possession of the car and they say it's done.

20200721_085012.jpg

Back glass trim
20200721_084927.jpg

Rear bumper, paint bled over
20200721_085134.jpg

Sunroof
20200721_085121.jpg

Rear spoiler damage. Wasn't there before they started work.
20200721_085200.jpg

Overspray around the quarter glass. One picture of many areas.
20200721_084944.jpg

I would think that you can take the car any time you want.
Here is what I would do, find the adjuster that Hagerty sent originally, have him come look at the car, you may have to pay for his time, or at least contact him to see if he will assess the work that has been done compared to what should have been done.
Then take the car home and find another shop and start preparing for your day in court, they are not going to make it any better. JMO

I will look into getting the adjuster to look at the car again. Hagerty hired an appraisal company from Colorado Springs (3 hours away), so it wasn't actually Hagerty that did the estimate.

Does the BBB have any clout in these matters? They are members of that organization.

You can file a complaint with the bbb and they will monitor and maybe mediate and report if there was a resolution since they are a member but in reality the only thing they can do is revoke the membership and give them a dissatisfied classification. They can't make them do a better job.

That could potentially hurt the shop financially.

Heck, they are on an extremely busy main thoroughfare through town. Maybe I'll make a sign and hold it in front of their business calling them out for their shoddy work and fraud.

IMO Hagerty should be backing you regardless of who they sub the appraisal and the work to. We pay insurance premiums for this reason, and they should be in your corner. I would hope they would do more to go to bat for you in getting this right. Good luck man!

I paint...in my garage...and I don't paint that well.....but I can not imagine for one second EVER painting my car and leaving door locks, window trim, quarter glass etc. ON the car when painting! I kinda agree with the others that this place isn't going to do much better than they already have. I would be searching for a solution that involved getting the car out of there and to another shop.

Chris

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Man, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. Here's what I suggest you should do at this stage of the game.

- As has been said, since this shop is not a DRP for Hagerty, any workmanship related issues are between you and the shop to work out. Workmanship related issues are not part of the claim.

-Typically at my company all checks go to the insured so they have control of the funds and can release them to the shop when they are happy with the work (preliminary and supplements). We will pay shops direct but I don't like doing that, for reasons such as this.

- As you already know paying the shop the full amount upfront should not have been done.

- Call Hagarty and ask them to send the original appraiser back out and have him go through the car front to back, then make an itemized narrative report that describes what he allowed for on his appraisal and what was actually done and specifically note the areas of poor workmanship. Hagarty seems reputable, they should accommodate your request and pay for the appraisers time to do this for you.

-At this point, I'd pull the car out of that shop. They are not going to make it right, unfortunately. You could wait and give them a copy of the report and see what they say, but they don't seem trustworthy.

Good luck man.