Paint and Body My car is finally home

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
If all the trim, glasses, bumpers were written to be taken out on the estimate they should be doing that repair based off what is on the sheet. What they are trying to do is, like you said, is a tape and shoot. They are thinking that you wouldn't have noticed. With the knowledge you have gotten here in your thread, I would go back there, talk to the owner, or shop manager with a copy of the estimate and ask why they are taping everything off when it is written to R&I. But, it looks like your car is at a questionable body shop and who knows what will happen with the paint, prep and body they have done. Could start peeling in 6 months. Getting it moved might be your best bet, but that's going to be a chore because this shop has already been paid. Then if you do move it, the "new" shop will have to strip off all the materials the previous shop has laid down and start from scratch in order for them to warranty their work, which I don't think the insurance company will pay for. Bad deal all around man. What is Hagerty saying about all this??

• Sponsors (?)

I come from an automotive repair background. Currently I fix heavy equipment at a Kubota dealer. Based on my experience, I know what to look for to a point, and I know what it takes to get a car ready to paint.

I have spoken to the owner, shop foreman of the week (they can't seem to keep them), and have given them the estimate at least 3 times, and emailed them a copy to import into their software. I've asked why they continue to ignore the estimate and job outlined therein, and have told them they are basically stealing money from me and the insurance company.

My contact at Hagerty is supposed to call them and ask what the deal is, but I have yet to hear back from him.

As you said, a new shop will have to redo everything they have done and messed up, which will cost me thousands out of pocket.

I have to wait for them to say the car is done before I have any recourse legally, and get a second opinion from another shop based on the estimate and what they were paid to do.

I will be demanding a detailed invoice from the current shop, they will have to prove that everything outlined has been completed, and I will want receipts of any parts they purchased.

NO THIS WAS NOT A HAGERTY AUTHORIZED SHOP. The nearest one is over 100 miles away. It just isn't feasible for me to transport it that far. I'm not made of money.

On Hagerty's advice, I was told this will more than likely need to be resolved in court. I spoke to a lawyer who specializes in consumer law, and he said I need to wait for them to tell me the car is done, take it to another body shop for an assessment, and then sue them in small claims court. Our Fox body cars are older than 25 years so the motor vehicle repair act no longer applies. Small claims is the only option at this point. Colorado has a $7500 limit in small claims.

Hagerty said there is virtually zero chance of me getting any money back by asking them for a refund. And since they aren't an authorized repair shop for Hagerty there is no recourse on their end. The most he can do is try to resolve the issues with the shop on my behalf. I don't like it, but that's what I was told.

The car was never finished. They told me early on that the car was painted and almost done and they are just waiting on parts. This was back in March or April when I was told that it was almost done. Since then virtually zero progress has been made.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I drove down to the shop today to see the progress. Hagerty called me yesterday and they told me they had called the shop on my behalf to find out what the issues were and to help resolve them. More than likely they will be sending an adjuster out to look at the car again, and go over the original estimate again.

In the process of them getting the car ready for paint they broke one of my original quarter windows. The glass on this car was pristine, and the moulding around the windows was in very good shape. Now they broke one, and I'm worried they won't find an original in as good or better condition.

Hagerty doesn't know they broke it yet, and they alluded to including it in the supplement. That doesn't fly well with me, and Hagerty shouldn't be on the hook for a potential $700 piece of glass.

I didn't see the car because it was locked up in another area of the shop, but i was told the whole car was resprayed, and the trim is now the correct color.

We will see.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth, the body shop used to be a school for troubled kids, and is compartmentalized something fierce. It is "possible" that areas of the shop are locked. I don't trust it either, but it is plausible.

I do agree though, it is a nightmare. I just want my car back, and fixed right.

And to top it off, someone stole my weed eater and lawn mower from my house that's being repaired. They were in the garage so I could at least keep the weeds knocked down and avoid a ticket from the city.

Will this year ever end?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Well what a goat screwing.

The one thing to hope for is that they really screwed up here and are trying to make it right by getting rid of you happily.

Bodyshops can really suck. Luckily I’ve been doing this long enough that I can just tell them no when they want to do something cheap because it’s quicker.

How‘s the house repairs coming along?

The house is moving along, slowly but surely.

We just got done removing the boiler system and radiators so the techs can replace the sub floor in the utility room. It will keep things moving instead of waiting for the plumber to do it.

Siding is going on the house, shingles are delivered and the roof is ready for them.

Electrical, plumbing, and HVAC should be starting soon.

We ordered a bath tub from Home Depot, and in the process of delivering it they dropped it and now it's broken. They ordered another one but it won't be delivered until the 19th. It was supposed to be here on the 7th and that is all the plumbers are waiting for. Another setback in this terrible year.

I'm calling Hagerty Monday, and also calling the body shop to make sure thy know that anything other than an OEM quarter window is unacceptable. And I'll be going down there again next Saturday to look at the car, and every Saturday until it's done.