My foot hits the fuse box when releasing clutch to dead pedal

90gtdreamcar

Dec 2, 2008
All:
I just finished the swap from aod to t-5 trans in my 1990 mustang gt convertible.
I have a couple of issues:
1).My foot hits the fuse box when I remove my foot from the clutch pedal after shifting to set it on the dead pedal.
I already removed the fuse panel cover to make more room. I am 6'3" and have a size 11 shoe?!?!?!
2).The transmission makes a high pitch rattling noise at about 2,000 rpms no matter what gear I am in.
I put in a new clutch but a used t-5.
3).The 4th gear syncro's are shot
how hard is it to fix this?

Thanks to everyone for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Just bend the fuse box upwards, i believe it is only attached towards the seat to the dash bracket. So you should just be able to push the engine side of the fuse box, upwards.

For the trans, whining in all gears is usually a pretty bad sign. I'd even go as far as to say whining at all is bad.
The trans probably needs a complete rebuild, IMO have a professional that rebuilds t5's look at it.
You are going to at least need a small parts rebuild kit, and then whatever the whining is fixed.

Best case scenerio it's just an input shaft bearing, worst case it's the input shaft gear (4th).
Having had this problem myself, my trans soon after, went completely.
Sorry to be a downer, but my trans wasn't worth salvaging, when a good running t5 is only about $500.

Thank you for the Idea on bending the fuse box up.
That did the trick!!!!!!!!!!
As far as the transmission Im not sure the sound is coming from the transmission......
Maybee take it to a trans shop for diagnosis?!?!?

Do you hear the trans through the shifter? If so, it's likely the transmission.

Lets hope it's rattling, not whining. Not sure what a high pitch rattle is, i just re-read your original post, and i had thought you said whining.
If you have an aftermarket shifter, they usually rattle pretty good.

Thanks again for the reply
I have the oem shifter in there (for now)
I do not have the rubber boot installed that covers the hole in the floor where the shifter comes through (I do have it and intend on installing it.)
I get a lot of heat through the shifter area from the engine and trans.
The fourth gear syncro will become more of an issue when I have the 373 rear gear installed.