My GT goes under the knife...

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
Time for a little surgery to remove the engine & tranny. First, the patient before the surgery:

1_the_start.jpg

The patient already has the heads & intake removed, so we're down to the block. Next, we chain up the offending parts and get the tools ready:

2_engine_chained.jpg

Partway through the surgery, one of the surgeons (my friend Steve) poses for the camera. All the while, the patient is bleeding transmission fluid all over the concrete...

3_partway_out.jpg

Finally, surgery is complete. And yet, I feel like I've caught a big fish rather than completed surgery.

4_big_fish.jpg

New engine has arrived and needs some prep work. I'll hopefully be able to install it this month.

• Sponsors (?)

urban96 said:
brings back memories

looks like your patient needs a bit of a nose job too

You should see the hood - the clear coat's all peeling off. I bought the GT as a project car - to learn how to fix it all, cause almost all of it needs to be fixed. :D The exterior is pretty thrashed. I've repainted and fixed up the interior, however; it's pretty sweet now. Once I get the drivetrain running right, I'll be re-doing the exterior. Til then, it'll be a nice sleeper. :)

Chythar said:
You should see the hood - the clear coat's all peeling off. I bought the GT as a project car - to learn how to fix it all, cause almost all of it needs to be fixed. :D The exterior is pretty thrashed. I've repainted and fixed up the interior, however; it's pretty sweet now. Once I get the drivetrain running right, I'll be re-doing the exterior. Til then, it'll be a nice sleeper. :)
:nice: what are the plans for the motor?

urban96 said:
:nice: what are the plans for the motor?

Old shortblock has rod knock and no time to rebuild it, so it's gone. Got a freshly-rebuilt 306 from a wrecked 'Stang - it still has the crosshatching on the cylinder walls. I'm putting a Steeda #19 camshaft and 1.7 roller rockers in, but the rest will stay stock for now. I just want the Stang back on the road.