Fox My Mustang 1993 Limited Edition LX 5.0L FE (Canary Yellow)

This is my Mustang, I am taking it over from my uncle's collection of cars, I am hoping to complete a full restoration. The back glass is shattered, the convertible top has tears in it and the front seats are virtually unusable. The quarter panel has been rusted through on the driver side and the paint is grimy and faded. The engine will not start, it will crank, only a few times though. Any tips or good places to start are welcome, I am a young car enthusiast and have never restored anything, so everything is considered valuable information to me. Thanks for the read, I have also included a promotional image for comparison.
IMG_0867.JPG
1993_00033_01b.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Man! What a beautiful car when new!

You've got a road ahead of you.

First thing is to prepare yourself for a bit of work. Do you have tools and a place to work on it?

The fact that it cranks is a big thumbs up right off:nice:. That means the engine isn't seized, that would bring in another set of problems.

Do you just want to get it running so you can drive it first?

Restorations are a serious amount of work, it'll involve a long period of time. Maybe running and driving first is a good thing. You might consider that route. You'll want to enjoy this car a bit.

If you go immediately to a restoration mode it'll suck the life out of you.

End the end, it's just my opinion, but you should make it a driver first and then work on making it a dream car. It's already cool right now. Imagine how much you'd like cruising in it even if it's not perfect.

We can help you with every step of the process, just decide exactly what you want.

BTW, rip that bra off and burn it just like the gals in the sixties. They're a horrible thing to do to a car.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
First thing is to prepare yourself for a bit of work. Do you have tools and a place to work on it?

The fact that it cranks is a big thumbs up right off:nice:. That means the engine isn't seized, that would bring in another set of problems.

Do you just want to get it running so you can drive it first?

Restorations are a serious amount of work, it'll involve a long period of time. Maybe running and driving first is a good thing. You might consider that route. You'll want to enjoy this car a bit.

If you go immediately to a restoration mode it'll suck the life out of you.

End the end, it's just my opinion, but you should make it a driver first and then work on making it a dream car. It's already cool right now. Imagine how much you'd like cruising in it even if it's not perfect.

We can help you with every step of the process, just decide exactly what you want.

BTW, rip that bra off and burn it just like the gals in the sixties. They're a horrible thing to do to a car.
Yea, this car is quite beautiful.
I can work on it in my driveway and garage, and I have a socket set and a wrench set as well as a breaker bar, all I would need for the basic stuff hopefully.
My main goal is getting it to driving condition and going from there.
First thing, I'll take your advice and remove this bra. I never liked that thing.
Thank you

Lots of potential there, but it's a long road.

First thing to do is clean it up all up and vacuum all those leaves from every nook and crevice. Drain the fuel from the gas tank, and change the fuel filter. Put some fresh gas in and cycle the key a few times to clear the lines of old gas and try firing it up. At that point, you'll want to go through the engine bay and give it a nice tune up. If there are original parts on there (like plug wires) that you replace..keep them.

You'll want to run the engine codes once it's running to see if any sensors have :poo: the bed, or of rodents have eaten any sensor wiring.

Bra's gotta go.

Any more pics? That a 5-spd or automatic?

What a great project car! Since it is a Feature car it does have some unique characteristics as well as unique parts. Some of those parts are difficult (if not nearly impossible!), to find so use care. You'll find that the convertibles in general also have some unique parts (doors, trunk hinges, side and interior rear view mirrors, weatherstripping and interior components to name a few).

You've already gotten some great advice posted above to your questions from the guys with tons of Foxbody knowledge. I am currently working on a '91 LX vert I purchased earlier this year and have learned alot in the past few months about the struggles and frustrations that come with the convertibles. Good luck with the car it'll be a stunner!

p.s. If you missed Foxtoberfest last weekend in Kannapolis you missed seeing two beautiful '93 Canary Yellow Feature cars, one black/black and the other white/white!

DSC00511.JPG

Reactions: 1 user