Progress Thread Finally got a new truck

So I started the search for some heads. If I go the explorer route with those, which one do you guys suggest I go with? 3 or 4 bar? Gt40p or non “p”? Can someone enlighten me on the differences? I have an idea but need some specifics. I did locate a set of 3 bar locally, but not sure if that’s the way to go.

Not sure if it matters but sounds like I’ll be going with a Trick Flow stage 1 cam.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I found these. 3 bar. What do you guys think? They are missing some stuff.

Attachments

• 56675D6F-36AF-4B8D-B5D7-3EE118CC2594.png
    56675D6F-36AF-4B8D-B5D7-3EE118CC2594.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 471FAE10-67C9-4BB5-A65C-FCF16197D3C1.png
    471FAE10-67C9-4BB5-A65C-FCF16197D3C1.png
    4 MB · Views: 64
  • 2B380A5B-6FC1-4952-8F0B-70AF1BF2644E.png
    2B380A5B-6FC1-4952-8F0B-70AF1BF2644E.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
How much were they asking?

I’d pass on those. By the time you go through them, rebuild them, valve job, new springs and such, you probsbly could just spend a little more and get a decent set of AL heads.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
$80. Yeah Mike, that’s what I was thinking. How much more would it be for a new set of aluminum heads. Just trying to keep this somewhat inexpensive.

$80 not bad, but you’ll spend a lot going through them. I did sell a set of GT40Ps not too long ago conplete for $40. Even that was tough to get a buyer.

AL heads are not cheap. Some of the cheaper offerings still could use the benefit of better hardware. Even I ended up swapping the springs in my TFS heads for springs to match my cam.

it all snowballs into one big expensive ordeal.

I guess the question is what sort of combo you looking to build? Nothing wrong with a simple GT40/cobraintake/b303 conbo. Simple, cheap and fun to drive.

$80 not bad, but you’ll spend a lot going through them. I did sell a set of GT40Ps not too long ago conplete for $40. Even that was tough to get a buyer.

AL heads are not cheap. Some of the cheaper offerings still could use the benefit of better hardware. Even I ended up swapping the springs in my TFS heads for springs to match my cam.

it all snowballs into one big expensive ordeal.

I guess the question is what sort of combo you looking to build? Nothing wrong with a simple GT40/cobraintake/b303 conbo. Simple, cheap and fun to drive.
That’s what I’m looking for. Simple HCI combo. I’ve already got an explorer intake, and getting a Trick Flow stage one cam. Just looking to make it a little more fun. The heads is what I need some advice on guys.

Last edited:
That’s what I’m looking for. Simple HCI combo. I’ve already got an explorer intake, and getting a Trick Flow stage one cam. Just looking to make it a little more fun. The heads is what I need some advice on guys.
I’d hold out for a complete set of 3 bar heads. The 4 bar (GT-40P’s) have a different spark angle that can make header and plug wire fit problematic.

As I said before, just did a GT-40, explorer intake, b cam combo on a friends car. It’s a great, proven combination. Will it make the same power as an aluminum head? Of course not. But it’s a proven 280 rwhp combo. That’s a lot of fun in a foxbody.

Thanks @Mustang5L5, what do you mean by “ok?” Do you think that will be a decent seat of the pants upgrade compared to my stock set up? Do I hold out/save up for something better? Remember, this is on a tight budget.

I've never gotten the sense that you're building this car just for the hell of it.

Either skip the heads and boost it or wait and plan out an aluminum HCI. It's not just a matter of peak HP... It's a matter of a jump in HP and torque all the way across with additional response built in to boot.

If your engine is healthy and not leaking... :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
You‘ll have to buy a spring kit no matter what cam you use.

I remember doing a lot of reading for the hci on my friends car. We chose the b over the tfs. But they’re eally not that that different.

Without a doubt there is a seat of the pants difference. The exhaust note changes so much, you and your friends will notice and comment on it.

Where are you at? I know of at least one set of explorer heads that need no work (already worked over) you could pickup.
In reality those bare heads are parking stops, cores. Only reason to use explorer heads would be they need no work and almost free.
If it's a cruiser and just for fun stick some 1.7 roller rocker on the e7s and save your money for some aluminium heads.

I've never gotten the sense that you're building this car just for the hell of it.

Either skip the heads and boost it or wait and plan out an aluminum HCI. It's not just a matter of peak HP... It's a matter of a jump in HP and torque all the way across with additional response built in to boot.

If your engine is healthy and not leaking... :O_o:
Building it just for the hell of it @Noobz347?

Where are you at? I know of at least one set of explorer heads that need no work (already worked over) you could pickup.
In reality those bare heads are parking stops, cores. Only reason to use explorer heads would be they need no work and almost free.
If it's a cruiser and just for fun stick some 1.7 roller rocker on the e7s and save your money for some aluminium heads.
1.7 rockers will work for a bit more fun?? Reading about it some say its good, others say way too minor. How much fun karthief?

I’ve never had a Fox that has had a H/C/I upgrade and need some pointers. I’m looking for a fun street car with a little more punch than stock. A cost effective-ish way to make it more fun. You guys know what I mean.