Progress Thread Need some advice on heads

Olivethefet

Slap me as well as point and laugh
May 17, 2018
Enterprise AL
My car has SVO X303 heads on it. I dont really know anything more about them. They came on the car. I also dont know what cam is in it. The car has decent pep in its step, and with the 3.73 gears it will light um in a rolling second gear stomp! Once I get to the point where I want to tear the motor down for a rebuild and freshen up I was going to look into the pros and cons of having the heads redone vs looking for something better.

Reactions: BlakeusMaximus
  • Sponsors(?)

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
Jul 12, 2017
I had both sets of x's and Y's.

I got the Y's NIB for $699, which was quite a deal. They were said to be take offs from crate engines, but it was odd because they literally came packaged in their own factory boxes new.

I think i got the X's for $500 for the pair.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy X's and send them to the machine shop. A little cleanup and valve work and they will produce more than 300rwhp with a modest cam and intake.
They just aren't so great out of the box or at whatever ridiculous price they cost new.

I really wouldn't be surprised if X's or Y's could be obtained for $500 or less these days.

I'm telling ya, be really nice to do an all ford racing build, E cam, X's and tubular gt40 on a clean unmolested car.
I'm just a little bit past that point, lol.
Would also be the perfect mods for a 93 cobra.
The way Ford should have built these?? My car isnt too molested, pretty clean, and that sounds fun to me as well!

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
My car has SVO X303 heads on it. I dont really know anything more about them. They came on the car. I also dont know what cam is in it. The car has decent pep in its step, and with the 3.73 gears it will light um in a rolling second gear stomp! Once I get to the point where I want to tear the motor down for a rebuild and freshen up I was going to look into the pros and cons of having the heads redone vs looking for something better.

On paper, the X303s are comparable to most other aftermarket aluminum heads from what I read on the spec sheet. I'm sure they could be improved on further by porting and going up a size on the valves. I wouldn't think it would take much for someone experienced to give them a boost. But since you already have them you might be money ahead having them gone through with some light port work, a valve job, and new supporting hardware..... :shrug:

Reactions: 2000xp8

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
The way Ford should have built these?? My car isnt too molested, pretty clean, and that sounds fun to me as well!
It's at least the way the 93 cobra should have been built.
I have my days where i wish i did exactly what i just suggested to you.

I even consider a boss 302 block with Z heads from time to time (i could get a set from a friend literally dirt cheap, NIB, but i think some other complications come from using them).
Something about keeping it all ford brand inclusive is very attractive.

• Agree
Reactions: General karthief

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
Jul 12, 2017
It's at least the way the 93 cobra should have been built.
I have my days where i wish i did exactly what i just suggested to you.

I even consider a boss 302 block with Z heads from time to time (i could get a set from a friend literally dirt cheap, NIB, but i think some other complications come from using them).
Something about keeping it all ford brand inclusive is very attractive.
Yeah I really like that idea as well. I’ve got a lot to think about.