New Car Few Questions

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
I have a few questions for you guys and girls. I just bought my 96GT. It has a few boltons but nothing to crazy. I was wondering what grade gas you guys run and what I should run? I filled my first tank with mid grade which is like 89? Is this ok? or should I do 93? Also what kind of oil and filter do you guys run? I am going to do an oil change on it with mobil 1 synthetic because that is suppose to be good at finding leaks in engine's. So if I have a leak I should be able to find it. I also want to know what filter to buy? I was told to buy Fram?

I used to run 93 but prices are so stupid that I've been running 89. As for the filter, use a Motorcraft one (as previously mentioned) ... trust us on this one! Wix are excellent too.

FWIW, I use Motorcraft Synthetic 10w-30 but most people here use 5w-30.

is 10w-30 0kay? How many of you think Royal Purple oil is the way to go? I can probably get it a little cheaper than most people, maybe $1 cheaper so like $6 a quart. Does anyone know where to buy Royal Purple in bulk? Also My car has 116k on it, if that changes anything.

Don't waste money on RP. I mean, it's probably good stuff but IMO it is a lot of hype.

Now, if regular oil has been used for the 100k + miles then switching to synthetic may cause some issues regarding leaks. Synthetic oil has additives that clean and if you have any pre-existing potential leak areas, synthetic will let you know it!!! Just something to think about ... Someone with more brain cells than me will chime in with specifics ..

Your engine probably is a little too old to go synthetic at this point. I wouldn't do it. Just swap out your oil as you should but put in a good 10w30 and you will be fine. I run a K&N filter (HP2010) but it's expensive. The best thing I like about it is it has a "install/uninstall" nut on it making it easy to replace. Throw a K&N air filter in it and remove the Air Silencer. You'll be happy.

Maybe do a tranny fluid swap too.

No Fram.

Don't waste your money on a higher grade gas unless you have some mods.

Enjoy the ride!

First thing you should do is read your owner's manual.

Next lurk on the board for a couple months.

After that you should have attained the rank of Mustang Apprentice Level III.

Welcome to the board, let's see some pictures of the car and the engine

Royal Purple is made about 30 miles from me.(Porter,Tx) To buy in bulk you have to be a supplier, The co. I work for is a supplier.
Its good oil, just to over priced. I use it in my diff. but thats it.

I get good deals on parts also, Motorcraft synthetic blend my cost 2.02 Qt, motorcraft or wix filter 2.79.
Ive been a partsman for 17 years, 14 years in the town I live in. I get free labor also from a handfull of shops that I deal with.
The ultamate job for a gearhead. And I know every hodrodder in the area.