New From North Alabama - First Mustang

88ponyGTconv

Jul 2, 2017
Decatur, AL
Hello-
I am new to the forum and new to the mustang family. I have always been a fan of the foxbody convertible GT and dreamed of owning one when I was in high school. Never-the-less, too many other things came first; college, marriage, career, kids, new business, etc, etc.......
Anyway, I have two teens that aren't 16 yet. I want to make sure they can both drive a straight shift. This finally gave me the incentive (and an excuse with the boss ;)) to start looking for my mustang. I located a convertible GT in Irving, TX that hit all of our checks. So, at the end of May, my son and I rented a car, drove from Alabama to Texas and bought it. We took the long way home through Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, then back to Alabama. Perfect weather. Top down all the way. She ran flawlessly other than the u-joints starting to squeak at us a bit the last 100 miles or so. She needs a little work, but very good bones. Engine and drivetrain is all stock. $122k original miles. No wrecks. Only 5,000 miles in the last 5 years. New top. New upholstery.
My goal is to keep the 302, but will begin to mod to add horsepower, so hopefully this is where you guys can help. Aesthetically, I have a pretty long "to-do" list so it will eventually be "show ready". Immediate goals are to start with the basics, such as a tune up and then work from there. I have added a new SR cold air intake and since the u-joints are shot, I'm going to replace the drive shaft with a new aluminum.

I am definitely a novice mechanic, but with a respectable amount of common sense. My first car was a 1965 4 door Chevy Nova with a straight 6; zero to 60 in 5 minutes. I have owned new cars now for the last 15 years, but really looking forward to many hours spent in my garage turning wrenches. It's like therapy.

Regards,
Kevin R.

IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG
IMG_0741.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet brother.

Very nice mustang:nice:.

Snoop around the fox subforums ('79-'95). You'll find lots of help there. That's where us fox nuts hangout.

After safety issues, subframe connectors will be one of the best mods you can do.

It's good to have you with us.

Welcome to Stangnet brother.

Very nice mustang:nice:.

Snoop around the fox subforums ('79-'95). You'll find lots of help there. That's where us fox nuts hangout.

After safety issues, subframe connectors will be one of the best mods you can do.

It's good to have you with us.

Thank you. I had someone else tell me about the subframe connectors just yesterday. Then read where even the stock engine when driven aggressively can twist the frame. Definitely at the top of the list now.

Reactions: 1 user