New Member With 65 Mustang With 94-04 Spindles+hubs+ Wilwood

danfar

Aug 27, 2017
As you can tell I switched up the suspension and steering on my 65 Mustang. The Wilwood 4 piston calipers are a bit wider than stock calipers. Any suggestion on what wheels will clear these calipers. I have read 16 X 7 with a 5" backspace should work but not sure.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet.

I'll move your thread to our Classic subforum. Lots of guys will help you out there.

@horse sence will bound to be able to help you out. He's a super genius classic builder.

It's good to have you with us.

I'm not familiar with this particular conversion but most I've seen need a 17 inch wheel to clear the upper control arm with that kind of backspacing. Not necessarily the caliper itself. but to insure you will clear both, you might consider 17 inchers. Just my opinion but not necessarily the best choice.

Right now I have a strut instead of upper control arm. 14" American Racing wheels came with the car and the Wilwood calipers scrape the spokes. It was recommended using wheels from a 94-04 mustang since the "suspension is essentially" for that setup. However, I want to make sure before I make an investment in new wheels.

A 14" wheel is the smallest wheel that will clear an 11" rotor/caliper combo, at least stock style. Since you are using an aftermarket caliper that is bigger than a stock caliper, you are running into interference. If you take the caliper off, does the 14" wheel bolt on and clear the suspension? If so you can just use a wheel spacer/adapter. A set of 16" rims should absolutely clear everything, especially if the 14" does other than the caliper.

With the caliper off the 14" wheel cleared the suspension. I did use a wheel spacer/adapter and now it clears the caliper so it appears like we are on the same page. However, I had to get lug nuts that would "reach back" and grab more thread. which is Dorman Part number 611-157.1 It works but I might go over to 16" rims a little later. I need to get this thing off of jack stands to see if it rolls. Thanks for your response I appreciate it!

to clear the calipers you will need later model mustang wheels, ones that came on the 94-04 mustangs should fit nicely.

another option would be to use wheel adapters. normally this is done when changing the wheel bolt pattern, but there are ones that maintain the bolt pattern, but move the wheel out about an inch, and that will clear the caliper. and since the adapters bolt to the hub, there is no issue that comes when wheel spacers are used. you dont need longer wheel studs, for instance. but you will need a some red loctite to make sure the inner lug nuts dont come loose.

The wheel adapters did the trick for the clearance issue. However, the lugs were a 1/16" to big for the American Racing wheels. So, I widened them out accordingly and everything fits fine. The only thing I did not do was apply the red Loctite but will do it. Thanks for the reply