Black Jack: TMOSS Intake Time + Aftermarket Fan

• Sponsors (?)

Just saw North Racecars's 5-lug conversion & Cobra brake kit in this Powernation video.

https://northracecars.com/c-clip_brakes.html

1665676559283.png

1665676599552.png

I guess he basically came up with his 'patented' bracket, brings 3rd party parts together, and gives it a small markup. I wanna follow up and compare this to my previous 5-lug swap list post, but coming in at less than $1,700 shipped seems pretty reasonable.

Not much of an update, but the only thing I've done on the car since Foxtoberfest '22 was this swap of plugs (Autolite 3924's), wires (LiveWires), cap (Motorcraft) and rotor (Motorcraft) swap. I chose the wires I saw on a few cars at the show that stood out. I've only ever ruined wires by #1 melting a wire that laid onto a header, and #2 melting the boot in a tight turbo exhaust engine bay. The Accel 9000 series wires took care of #2, and I think these will be the ticket to preventing #1. The full-length wire sleeves are apparently good for up to 1,400 degrees.

Of note: I've never before used the Taylor 10.4mm Vertical Wire Loom Kit that sends the wires straight down the valve covers to their respective plugs. It didn't turn out as sexy as intended, but at least it looks like it was organized intentionally, and gives me piece of mind that everything should stay put:

LiveWires1.jpg

LiveWires2.jpg

LiveWires3.jpg

Reverse view on passenger side looking towards the front of the engine bay:
LiveWires4.jpg

I figured it wasn't a bad thing to do on the car, given the age of the previous parts, and maybe, just maybe it might explain why there's this light ticking sound at light load, usually between 1,500-2,500 RPM, that almost sounds like it could be errant sparking, but that did not turn out to be the case.

Reactions: 2 users
Just saw North Racecars's 5-lug conversion & Cobra brake kit in this Powernation video.

https://northracecars.com/c-clip_brakes.html

1665676559283.png

1665676599552.png

I guess he basically came up with his 'patented' bracket, brings 3rd party parts together, and gives it a small markup. I wanna follow up and compare this to my previous 5-lug swap list post, but coming in at less than $1,700 shipped seems pretty reasonable.
I found this rotor, pads, and rebuilt caliper kit on Prime for under $200... The MM hoses are under $100
DSCF1181.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I tell ya I pieced my kit over about two years time.
Everything, I mean everything including used 17 inch rims with new tires $1750.
Yeah that was a couple of years now(3 or so).

Reactions: 1 user
I pieced mine together too between eBay used, and new parts. No idea what it cost in total, but in my mind I saved some money. I also spent some extra on rebuilding the eBay calipers I bought, but the pistons seals and slide pins didn’t really add up to much.

Do you already have the spindles?(I know it’s prob in previous pages somewhere) They’ve definitely gone way up in price over the past few years.

Last edited:
That's where I got my 96+ spindles. $40 each from above.

94-95 spindles are a bit tougher to find on there, and that's what you really want with a stock K-member due to the steering rack location

You can run the 96+ spindles but you will need a bumpsteer kit. I ran the 96+ spindles on my Coupe with a factory k-member for a couple of years before going with a MM k-member but I planned it that way. This is the bumpsteer kit I got:

When I swapped to the MM k-member I just called MM and got the spacers and through bolts to covert the tapered to the through bolt which you need if the car is in lowered very much hich both of my cars are. Might be 1/4" from the top of the tire to the fender lip.

RenderedImage.jpg

You have to drill the spindles out with a reamer to get the bolt through so that is another added expense.

So if you are going to keep the factory k-member I would just run the 94/95 spindles. If you are going to swap to a tubular k-member later down the road (most are designed off the 96+ spindles but you need to verify) then you may want to go ahead and get the 96+ spindles now.

• Love
Pretty sure I have 96 spindles on one of my foxes already. Works fine. But like you and @Mustang5L5 have said, this is a stock k-member. In any case, I just got a PM with these pics and a $250 shipped offer on corral. Unless something seems off to anyone, I'llpull the trigger on em:

20221109_100333.jpg

20221109_100243.jpg

Alright... So, that deal is complete. 1 set of spindles down, rest of the list to go. Man... I've got this vision of a Black Jack with 5-Lugs, Cobra or better discs front and back, a T-56 with the 2.66 1st and .5 6th to tame the 4.10s, and a 150 shot wet kit. It feels pretty good! What a fun little street car!

I think the biggest ticket item I'd need in the whole list of parts is the bellhousing. Does anyone know of a bellhousing solution for a 302 SBF-to-T56 that doesn't involve the ~$900 Quicktime 8031? I wish I could come across another aluminum Tremec bellhousing like D&D used to put in front of their viper-spec transmissions.

It's a tall order, but if I could get all of that together for around $3k, I think that would feel worth doing. I mean, take a look at the market for a T56, 5-lug, cobra-braked fox. First of all, you can't hardly find 'em, and second, they ain't cheap. My spare T56 is probably worth $2-3k & my R58 Cobra R's are probably worth $1k. So, total investment here would be basically $6-7k, but if that makes Black Jack worth $15k+, then it would financially be holding its own. Do you guys think that's a fair assessment? Black Jack is probably not one of my forever foxes... so I want to make whatever I do worth it both financially & in fun.

Last edited:
Yes, you should do it and you are correct about the value add for those components (assuming you're not modding an already rare/valuable car). The bell housing thing is costly, but worth it if you can't find a better option.

Pretty sure I have 96 spindles on one of my foxes already. Works fine. But like you and @Mustang5L5 have said, this is a stock k-member. In any case, I just got a PM with these pics and a $250 shipped offer on corral. Unless something seems off to anyone, I'llpull the trigger on em:

$250 is a good price for the 94-95 as i've been seeing them go for $400+.

I still have my set but holding on them for a potential future project given how spendy they have gotten. I went 96+ when i swapped to MM k-member, but i measured my bumpsteer and I could have gotten away with the 94-95 but the spacer stack would have been huge. Not really an issue for cruising down to the local car show.

I wouldn't worry about how much you are spending on the car. If you enjoy it, then its not about the total dollar investment. Hell, i have probably $3-4K in MM suspension parts on my car...and I just cruise around the local streets. Thats just not what it was about for me. If you enjoy "the total package" then who cares how much it ultimately costs....assuming you aren't going into debt over this.

• Agree
Finances and Frivolity:
No way. Since this is a big hobby of mine, I'm sure it would seem to others on this site that I spend frivolously, but I was very frugal throughout my Army career, never any debt, and invested in stocks all the way. Combined with my pension from the army when I retire in 3+ years, I'll be financially independent of having to work, though I am unlikely to ever stop. Data science is fun, lucrative & is something I could do at any age, in-person or from home.

Yeah, Mike, that's the way I think about the Blue and Black turbo cars that will never sell. The black one is going to get a full, blow-it-apart and put it back together restoration-style paint job that will be $10k or more, I'm guessing. That, and all of the other adjustments and parts I'll do over time are definitely worth it to me.

Black Jack, OTOH, is supposed to be a car I don't have to park at the back of the lot, and don't mind giving some daily-driver abuse, to. I wanna have fun, but don't want to blow the bankroll on this car. In a way, it's really bringing me back to the light-hearted roots of where foxes began for me. The difference now is that I've learned some lessons, and blowing up a part doesn't leave me waiting for my next pay check before I can put the car back together!

Transmission info:
So, I just got off of the phone with Promotion Powertrain -- love those guys. Rick Collins there squared me away with the info that there isn't a substitute for the QT-8031. With an 03-04 Cobra style T56, it's the only game in town. He said that the Viper-Spec aluminum housing has the wrong depth. I think he said it's deeper. So, I had him sell me a 26-spline 10.5" ceramic disk to replace the KC clutch disk in the car, a reverse lock-out pigtail, and a clutch fork. I'll still need the cross member and shifter, both of which are fairly ubiquitous on the marketplace at budget costs, the driveshaft, which will need to be measured, and of course the bellhousing. I'll keep my eyes out for a deal on a used QT-8031 and would appreciate the info if any of you happen to come across one.

I'll be able to sell the T5, & Pro-5.0. Unfortunately, I wouldn't pass the FMS D/S on without making it clear to a buyer that it will come with a minor tremor. But, I imagine if I do it right and let a buyer feel out the T5, I'll be able to sell for a pretty good price. Maybe $800-$1k?