Black Jack: TMOSS Intake Time + Aftermarket Fan

Here's the dyno from a few weeks back:

Black Jack Dyno.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

How's it running with the 30's in it? I've got a very similar set up to yours in my notch, (the main exception being a 331ci rotating assembly) and I'm finding it a little richer than I'd like down low. Seems to idle best right around 800-850RPM.

Was the car tuned prior to you getting it Chris? How's it running with the 30's in it (rought idle, really rich down low)?

I've got a very similar set up to yours in my notch, (the main exception being a 331ci rotating assembly) and I'm finding it a little richer than I'd like down low. Seems to idle best right around 800-850RPM.

No, there's no EEC tune. It runs nicely, IMO. It lopes like any E303 cam does. I don't smell any fuel like I did when I had 24 lbs injectors in one of my old HCI combos that would make your eyes water, lol. I can't explain the difference, honestly. I had to add serious pressure to the 24lbs injectors to get the car to make power. The difference between 40lbs and 55psi fuel pressure in that old combo is what made the car go from lean popping and dynoing 260rwhp to dynoing 306rwhp in the same session. It's possible that the lower pressure in the new car helps, but I've heard of guys that run fine with 42 pounders, too.

View: http://youtu.be/MCsNE1aE-mo

Last edited:
Huh...sounds just fine. You could be right though, the lower fuel pressure might be responsible? They way I've always understood it, with the Mass Air cars, changing fuel pressure was not supposed to make a lot of difference, since the ECU would simply make corrections in the fuel curve to compensate for any lean area's, but I'll assume as long as it's not starving anywhere else in the operational range, you could probably drop the fuel pressure down as much as you needed to? Seeing as how we're both running big pumps and injectors, it's possible to get away with making adjustments? Might have to experiment with mine when I get my A/F gauge hooked up.

Mine doesn't run quite that smooth. My lope is more erratic than that. I've got an XE274HR in mine, but the generally rule seems to be additional cubes will tend to take down a larger camshaft, so I figured it would take a little chop out of it?. I've a Pro-M 80mm on it. I was initially worried about it being an issue with the meter (since I bought it used), so I sent it back to Pro-M to have it calibrated and it checked out fine.

The car doesn't run badly mind you, just not as "cleanly" as I would like. Rich down low, a little jerky below 1,500RPM, low idle when cold...that sort of thing. Gotta love gremlins.

BTW, you're a lot younger guy than I thought you were. :D

Thanks. What you said about the EEC is true. It will make adjustments in closed loop that will bring the tune back into an acceptable range to it using the narrow-band O2 sensors as a reference. However, there is a maximum that it can adjust. I read, long ago, that the range was 25%, or up to ~12.5% enrichment or leaner from the baseline. If that's true, it might also be true that the computer has done all it can but cannot compensate for the how rich your car is running at idle. Take fuel pressure out in that situation should help to bring it back into that range, but obviously if you go too far, you will run out of injector at WOT, which is a much worse issue to have. That's why I put my car on the dyno. I wanted to make sure that it was not running too lean, and it turned out fine.

I'm not sure how much this would help, but you can also try clocking the MAF to different positions. If the sample tube is in a position where airflow within the MAF is higher or more turbulent, then the computer will command more or erratic fuel injection. Guys with under hood air filters were especially prone to experience this situation, and clocking the MAF sometimes made a big difference.

The jerkiness below 1,500 is just a characteristic of the cam. I don't think there's anything you can do. Smaller roller rockers should make a small, though probably negligible, difference because it has the same effect as reducing duration and overlap a bit.

I'm currently running an Anderson Power Pipe with the set up and it's pulling air in from the inner fender area. I think I tried rotating the meter, initially, but I think without the wide band hooked up to measure ant effect, I'm probably just spit balling?

Pro-M actually didn't think it would make a lot of difference when I called them, but I guess we'll see.

Rockers are FRPP rollers in a 1.6 ratio.

You're probation right about the cam too....which has me wondering if that's why my cruise control surges on the highway as well? I'm also going to try a different VSS sensor to see what it'll do. A bad VSS will mess with the low speed idle on a Mass Air car too, so for all I know that's part of my issue. I was getting a random code 29 for a while, so we'll see what it does?

Reactions: 1 user
No, there's no EEC tune. It runs nicely, IMO. It lopes like any E303 cam does. I don't smell any fuel like I did when I had 24 lbs injectors in one of my old HCI combos that would make your eyes water, lol. I can't explain the difference, honestly. I had to add serious pressure to the 24lbs injectors to get the car to make power. The difference between 40lbs and 55psi fuel pressure in that old combo is what made the car go from lean popping and dynoing 260rwhp to dynoing 306rwhp in the same session. It's possible that the lower pressure in the new car helps, but I've heard of guys that run fine with 42 pounders, too.

View: http://youtu.be/MCsNE1aE-mo

PLEASE remove that FP gauge off the rail. It will end up failing and cause a fire.

I'll be damned! Black Jack went 12s tonight! On stock sized street tires. No changes. It trapped better as the night went on, but I couldn't get another sub 1.9 60' again. I think it has a 12.8 or 12.7 as it sits, but no biggie. I'm tickled pink that it went like it did.
20150709_184354.jpg

20150709_223844.jpg

20150709_223907.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
New bests all around tonight after swapping my under drive pullies back on and pulling off the fan for the runs. I got 3 runs in total.

First run was a new best ET and Trap. The car was very cool and I hit the rev limiter just before I ran through the stripe. The 6AL has a "6000" pill in it. As you can see from the dyno, it seemed to cut power before 6000. I wasn't sure whether the dyno was right. I thought perhaps the the MSD Box might be more accurate. Nope! The car should run 112 with the current tires by 6000 RPM. As you can see, the dyno was right. The car is cutting out at about 5800-5850.
RXN: .2128
60': 1.9013
330: 5.3
1/8: [email protected]
1000: [email protected]
1/4: [email protected]
20150717_004227.jpg

2nd Pass I got the car back down to the temperature I wanted. This would have been the fastest run of the night if the rev limiter didn't cut in so early. I think I shifted to 4th gear a little earlier than usual and I believe it picked up some speed because it felt like I was on the limiter for over 100 feet before I hit the stripe. I think it would've had another 1mph in trap speed, but I don't think it would've made much difference in ET since the cut was at the end of the track. The time slip looks funny because I had to go up to the tower to get it printed. Something weird happened with the time slip equipment.
RXN: .3030
60': 1.9063
330': 5.3175
1000': [email protected]
20150717_004238.jpg

Finally, on the third pass, I got the best 60' time I've ever seen from a true street radial 225/55/16. However, I didn't have time to bring the car all the way back down to the ideal temperature before the run. The track was closing, so I had to get out there. I got the best ET of the night. I also pulled the rev limiter out of the 6AL box, but I think the extra heat in the engine kept me from exceeding the previous run's trap speed, and based on the 1/8 mile ratio to the 1/4 in the previous runs, if the engine were cooler I probably would have ET'd in the 12.56-12.59 range. Still, I'm blown away at how well this little combo works together.
RXN: .1264
60': 1.8357
330': 5.2660
20150717_004252.jpg

I was really happy with the consistency of my 60's. All 3 runs were within .07s! What a great night at the track!

Last edited:
New bests all around tonight after swapping my over drive pullies back on and pulling off the fan for the runs. I got 3 runs in total.

First run was a new best ET and Trap. The car was very cool and I hit the rev limiter before I just before I ran through the stripe. The 6AL has a "6000" pill in it. As you can see from the dyno, it seemed to cut power before 6000. I wasn't sure whether the dyno was right. I thought perhaps the the MSD Box might be more accurate. Nope! The car should run 112 with the current tires by 6000 RPM. As you can see, the dyno was right. The car is cutting out at about 5800-5850.
RXN: .2128
60': 1.9013
330: 5.3
20150717_004227.jpg

2nd Pass I got the car back down to the temperature I wanted. This would have been the fastest run of the night if the rev limiter didn't cut in so early. I think I shifted to 4th gear a little earlier than usual and I believe it picked up some speed because it felt like I was on the limiter for over 100 feet before I hit the stripe. I think it would've had another 1mph in trap speed, but I don't think it would've made much difference in ET since the cut was at the end of the track. The time slip looks funny because I had to go up to the tower to get it printed. Something weird happened with the time slip equipment.
RXN: .3030
60': 1.9063
330': 5.3175
1000': [email protected]
20150717_004238.jpg

Finally, on the third pass, I got the best 60' time I've ever seen from a true street radial 225/55/16. However, I didn't have time to bring the car all the way back down to the ideal temperature before the run. The track was closing, so I had to get out there. I got the best ET of the night. I also pulled the rev limiter out of the 6AL box, but I think the extra heat in the engine kept me from exceeding the previous run's trap speed, and based on the 1/8 mile ratio to the 1/4 in the previous runs, if the engine were cooler I probably would have ET'd in the 12.56-12.59 range. Still, I'm blown away at how well this little combo works together.
RXN: .1264
60': 1.8357
330': 5.2660
20150717_004252.jpg

I was really happy with the consistency of my 60's. All 3 runs were within .07s! What a great night at the track!

Dude, you would crush it in bracket racing with those consistent times....

Hey Chris car looks good and your dialing her in great! im happy to see you with a driver and out having fun good luck with her buddy!

Thanks man! Speaking of a great driver, can I have your car, yet?! I'll trade ya!

edit: oh, also, I noticed "70mm accufab tb" in your sig. Did they actually make one, or do you really have something else, like the bbk 70mm or an accufab 65mm or 75mm? I ask because black jack has a whistling sound coming from the bbk 70mm on mine. So, I'd like to find a 70mm accufab.

Last edited: