New to the forum and need advice on getting a 5.0 started after sitting for about 3 years

Alright, so this isn't exactly a foxbody as you will see, it's actually an Austin Healey replica. However it does have the 5.0 out of I believe a foxbody from between 1984-1986. I say this as I found it with the Holley 4 barrel that was OEM for those years. As the title says, it hasn't run for about 3 years, maybe a couple more.
597792-e902a98985debe61b5d89216b076c3a4.jpg
597794-62331afac1ded26259fcc6eae5ccf361.jpg
597795-2567b6903a5f62dbfc0a82217bcaf83f.jpg

I know some of the basic things I need to do such as:
- change all of the fluids out
- check the distributor
- check the spark plugs
- check other stuff
- put about a tablespoon of marvel mystery oil into the spark plug holes

I have attempted a start, it does crank, but will not start.

Any tips pertaining particularly to this engine or in general? Should I rebuild the carb?

Also, according to previous owner, the reason he put the car away was due to it randomly shutting off while driving, even though it would run smooth. Could this pertain to the engine itself? Or is it more likely to be something with wiring since it is a replica and I don't know too much beyond that.

Attachments

• 20190101_113211.jpg
    20190101_113211.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 20180627_160411.jpg
    20180627_160411.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20190101_113203.jpg
    20190101_113203.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Sponsors (?)

No, it's not the carb. Well at least it's unlikely that it's the carb.

1.It could well be fuel related as in old gas that needs to be drained and replaced or sediment is in the gas tank and plugging the line or the outlet in the tank or fuel filter. Could be water has collected in the bottom of the tank. Start with fresh gas in the tank and make sure it's getting to the carb. Could be the fuel pump is bad.

2. OK, you've done the above and now have gas to the carb. Remove the air cleaner and look down the primary (front) throttle bores with a light and have someone pump the accelerator pedal or just work the linkage on the side of the carb. You should see fuel squirt into the bores on the front of the carb. If so, all's good. If not just hold on. More to do.

3. Make sure all wires look right and connected to include firing order. HO 302's have a different firing order than non-HO's. Mice can wreck havoc on vehicle wiring.

4.Pull a spark plug, with the plug wire connected to the plug let part of the metal plug body touch (or ground) on the block while someone cranks the engine over. You should see a healthy spark at the plug electrode. If no spark, you've found your problem. Now use search or report back here for help.

5. IF you have spark, IF you have fuel to the carb IF you're a safety minded cautious person. Read on. I'm not going to tell you what to do. But a lot of folks would do the following. They'd remove the air cleaner, they'd pour a couple tablespoons of gas down the carb, then put the air cleaner back on (in case the engine backfires) and start it. It should crank and run. If it has fuel from the tank to the carb, it'll continue running. If not, then it'll run till the fuel you just added is used up and you know to go back to item 1.

6. IF no luck with the above, contact me and we'll talk about me getting that worthless slug of fiberglass and iron out of your way! :)

Good Luck,
RonR

Well, for some reason I'm not seeing the edit button so I can make an addition to the post above. That said, IF the car was set up 3 years ago with ethanol contaminated gas in it. The carb could very well now be a white aluminum oxide mess inside. The easy button is to replace it with a new unit that's a bit more tolerant of ethanol. I'm happy with one of these. I'm running it on my 340 Duster.

My first choice is Always run non-ethanol gas in carbed engines. Failing that, be sure to shut the full off and let the car run till it dies from lack of fuel if it's not going to be driven for more than a couple weeks.

Also, my experience with my V8 miata and ethanol laced gas (when traveling and unable to get not-ethanol) is the gas would percolate or boil in a Carter or Holly carb (even with a isolator between the carb and intake), flooding it when stopped, making for hard starting and even causing it to be pretty much undriveable below 20 mph on Hot (as in 95 plus heat) days. Small engine compartment and slow air change in the engine compartment due to low speed was the reason.

Good Luck,

RonR