Electrical New Wiring Harness for '86 - recommendations needed

68keyblr

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Arizona
So we decided to replace the wiring harness in my son's '86 GT. I haven't seen any vehicle specific harnesses available. I'm look at a few of the Ron Francis harnesses. Has anyone re-wired their Mustang, and if so, what harness did you go with and what recommendations do you have?

• Sponsors (?)

This is as close as you can get that I'm aware of without making your own harness --or-- installing the harness that comes with numerous ECU kits that are available:

There are two possibilities there and one of them includes an EEC. IMO, money would be better spent with a system you could custom tune.

If you truly want just the harness, you might consider pulling yours and duplicating it. That depends on your soldering skills/tools/etc...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I hadn't seen the complete harness for '87-93 available from LMR. It might be best to start with that and then modify as necessary. We're running a Dakota Digital instrument cluster so that would make it alot easier to adapt to the '86.

If you're already mass air then the 87+ harness should be a bolt in. If not, it might be a good time to swap. :D

87 harness won't plug into the 1986 harness. A good chunk of the connectors are actually different. You can certainly rewire them, but not the fastest process.

There are too many harnesses to list and many differences in how they are wired. There's an 86 harness, an 87/early 88 harness. A late 88 harness. An 1989 harness. A 90-91 harness and a 92-93 harness. Slight differences in all of them.

OP ae you looking for a factory-correct harness that would keep emissions controls and other factory style wiring logic intact? Or an aftermarket simplified harness just to run the engine?

check with Dan at NEOMUSTANGS in Ohio. He has many harnesses or can fix your existing one. Matt at HorsePlay Auto in South Florida also probably has a harness. IMO the Ford factory harness is superior to aftermarket ones. Yours lasted 30 plus years..

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user