Newbie to Mustangs but not too cars

Zaner

Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Been tinkering with cars since the mid 90s and I've never run into anything like I've found on a new project mustang I've purchased. I can't understand why someone would put this on the car. It's a poorly added green colored ground wire that goes from the negative battery post... under the car to a strange round 2 post jumper thats screwed to the floor. And out of that round jumper theres a short ground to the side of the transmission tail shaft it looks like. What is the purpose of this? Is it a bandaid of some sort because the car runs and drives great

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_152218.jpg
    IMG_20200105_152218.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20200105_152246.jpg
    IMG_20200105_152246.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20200105_152250.jpg
    IMG_20200105_152250.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi, Quite a piece of work!
That round termination plate bolted to the floor have something protruding through on the opposite side, or just surface bolted to the sheet metal? Funny, looks like the back of a 12V rotary power interruption switch, but likely just a termination plate.
It appears as one’s crude and impulsive attempt at improving bad vehicle ground(s) between battery, power train & chassis.
If it were me, I’d suggest ensuring the OE vehicle ground wires & straps are good & solid, then eradicate it. If a continuity issue presents, repair it.
Good luck!
-John
Mind if I add the pics to my “electrical wall of shame” on Pinterest? lol.

Please do add it! It's a laugh. It does appear it's just a round black plastic base plate screwed to the floor plan with 2 threaded studs attached. The wire is like house wire stuff like Romex type wire. Why a person felt they needed to run a ground wire back to the tailshaft of the transmission blows my mind. I unhooked it and drove awhile with no running or shifting issues. Truly a walk of shame for whoever did this. Thanks for your input and response..

Reactions: 1 user
No prob’s! Yeah, looks like a combo of solid #12’s & stranded THHN wire. Lucky that’s ALL that individual did, lol! That one raised my eyebrow & at least 17 more (so far) from the views the pic’s received, lmao!!
I will post them!
Best!
-John

The eBay coils have got to go and find what ever fluid leak is back by the tailshaft. This car won't be a complete ressurection but I'd like to knock out a few dozen things while it's in my possession that's for sure. Definitely a project lol

Hi,
Yes, I’d also noted oil in the transmission tail shaft area- tailshaft seal itself appears bone dry.
A can of brakleen & a few rags to degrease the Tranny, crossmember & wiring (which you’ll have to do, anyways) & the leakpath(s) will be evident relatively quick.
Agree 100% on the COP’s
Aftermarket Ignition components & sensors are responsible for excessive headaches. Not saying they’re all bad, only that OE ignition parts reliability is high & withstand much more than many expect.
Good luck with her!
Best!
-John