Nissan V8 Swapping a 1996 SN95 Mustang. Have I lost my mind?

TJ Rebuild

Feb 14, 2021
Chattanooga
It'll be fun to see completed.

The trick is to keep your motivation at the same level as your ambition. :nice:
Thanks for the support. It will be a really cool project if all goes as planned.

As far as the concerns about mismatching brands. I guess I'm not as worried as I'm basically just retrofitting an entire truck into a mustang body. The only carryovers besides the body/suspension are the rear end (a custom driveshaft is easy to have built), power steering system (with swap to factory gt hydroboost, no biggie...only hard part is making a bracket but thats just some fab work) and wiring up factory hvac/heater controls to the nissan harness. This will be a bit tricky but should be doable as long as I stay consistant with fuse rating/wire size. I will wire the front/rear/dome lights to nissan harness but thats not too involved

• Sponsors(?)

TJ Rebuild

Feb 14, 2021
Chattanooga
Meh, he's already made it fit, now he's just got to make it run.
Yeah the motor/trans fit fairly easy with some alterations to the trans tunnel. The nissan v8 and ford v8 are roughly the same footprint and since the car came with DOHC in at least one form the engineers already did the hard part about making one fit like hydroboost, etc

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I guess I do have a question. The pic of the engine/transmission hanging in the air is the assembly you've transplanted, correct? What are your plans for the transfer case section? Do you have a bead on a 2wd transmission to at least replace the tail shaft housing? Or do you plan to make it a 4x4? Please say no, please say no, please say no.... (@MustangIIMatt will know why I say it that way. :rlaugh:)

TJ Rebuild

Feb 14, 2021
Chattanooga
I guess I do have a question. The pic of the engine/transmission hanging in the air is the assembly you've transplanted, correct? What are your plans for the transfer case section? Do you have a bead on a 2wd transmission to at least replace the tail shaft housing? Or do you plan to make it a 4x4? Please say no, please say no, please say no.... (@MustangIIMatt will know why I say it that way. :rlaugh:)
No 4x4 lmao . I replaced the tail shaft housing with a 2wd version

Reactions: 1 user

MustangIIMatt

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
15 Year Member
Mar 7, 2002
Just because you fail to see the pure awesomeness of 4x4 Mustangs doesn't mean the rest of us can't!

• Haha

TJ Rebuild

Feb 14, 2021
Chattanooga
Hmm turbos...:thinking:I just might have to look into that. I'm hoping the motor will be torquey enough that I'll be happy with it but there is plenty of space for some front mounted turbos:nice:

TJ Rebuild

Feb 14, 2021
Chattanooga
More random pics. I need to take some more but I broke the camera lens on my phone so I have to take them with something else and upload them :doh:. More to come though!

Attachments

• GOPR6370.JPG
    GOPR6370.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 22
  • GOPR6345.JPG
    GOPR6345.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 21
  • over hood shot w engine.png
    over hood shot w engine.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 20
  • GOPR6162.JPG
    GOPR6162.JPG
    466.1 KB · Views: 23

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Looks like that gauge pod is almost the perfect size, just a little trim around the brim. Dunno what you'd have to do about the clear cover though. Maybe you could get some clear plexi that would be flexible enough? :shrug: