NYC buys new Stangs for Police Cars!

91AOD5.0LX

I have a slight sag in my rear
Feb 20, 2021
Lake George NY
Wow!

D08C1D89-731D-42AC-A582-9389DBCF40E6.png

• Sponsors (?)

I remember when NYC transit dept. bought new Grumman busses that were hinged in the middle to turn better.
Didn't take long till the got busted up a s decommisioned.

They still have those buses. They are huge. It’s a double bus connected in the middle with an accordion type device.
As for the mustang I remember back in the late 1980s the NYPD would seize guys Mustangs for racing and turn them into highway patrol police cars. Foxbody all painted up the police colors with the PD decals and light rack on the roof. Looked awesome but some poor kid lost his car for racing. It was suppose to be a deterrent for us not to race.

184 of them? How many patrol cars does NYC have total I wonder? Just curious what percentage of the fleet will be EV.

Edit: Looks like NYC has around 9600 police vehicles of all types

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
184 is nothing..... the force consists of thousands of vehicles. Although I have no idea the exact number of vehicles that are in service I would confidently say The number stated above, 9600 is definetley in the ball park and likely even more. There are 76 station houses alone, each of which have a minimum of 20 vehicles. Those are just for patrol. Then there are all the specialty units, anti-crime, narcotics, counterterrorism, warrant squad, vice, organized crime, etc. They all have dozens of cars and then there are the administrative units and the supervisor vehicles and detective squads, investigative units, etc.... Yea, the total number is absolutely in the big numbers so 184 is a blip on the radar. Those 184 will be assigned to big bosses and community units as a perk and to be seen - in my experience, they will never see any action. Well, Maybe the highway patrol unit will get one. Don’t forget those guys. They are the true wheel men on that job.
Other than the Mustang though they do have lots of other brand EVs so their fleet does consist of a lot more EVs than just those 184 Mustangs.

They still have those buses. They are huge. It’s a double bus connected in the middle with an accordion type device.
As for the mustang I remember back in the late 1980s the NYPD would seize guys Mustangs for racing and turn them into highway patrol police cars. Foxbody all painted up the police colors with the PD decals and light rack on the roof. Looked awesome but some poor kid lost his car for racing. It was suppose to be a deterrent for us not to race.
Are you sure those Mustangs were not SSP Mustangs?

Are you sure those Mustangs were not SSP Mustangs?
Positive
I know of a “kid” who had his forfeited circa 1992 when we were racing and they even put decals on the car explaining that it was a forfeiture to deter other racers. Racing was a huge problem back in the 80s and 90s in NYC. People were going nuts with the noise in the middle of the night on residential streets and kids crashing and dying. It was a free for all. One home owner went to prison for putting oil on the road we raced on which caused a death. Anyway, the nypd took action and cars were taken. Just like the drug dealers. Their cars were taken also and used as undercover cars. Good times back then.

Positive
I know of a “kid” who had his forfeited circa 1992 when we were racing and they even put decals on the car explaining that it was a forfeiture to deter other racers. Racing was a huge problem back in the 80s and 90s in NYC. People were going nuts with the noise in the middle of the night on residential streets and kids crashing and dying. It was a free for all. One home owner went to prison for putting oil on the road we raced on which caused a death. Anyway, the nypd took action and cars were taken. Just like the drug dealers. Their cars were taken also and used as undercover cars. Good times back then.
I received several summonses on "Franny Lew" and "DPA". I miss those days but your only young and stupid once, lol.

Positive
oil on franny lou , my buddy got his big block firebird impounded. Before franny lou it was under the B.Q.E. In Maspeth.laurel hill blvd.

Good to hear from other “locals”......
Google “operation Hermès NYPD”.
That was the name of the Op back then when this was all going on...
Very cool pictures of the seized vehicles turned police cars.
2C664C4D-9A06-4188-B0E9-4DF54C53ABDB.png
66103C9E-F63C-4C11-B2B9-29562D0AE323.png