• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

oil level sensor

  • Thread starter Thread starter must87gt
  • Start date Start date Sep 25, 2004
M

must87gt

New Member
Nov 13, 2003
11
0
0
BG KY
Sep 25, 2004
#1
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #1
does anyone know where the oil level sensor wire connects , from the sensor. I replaced my motor and cut that line, when I went to splice it back, I can`t find the other half, I must have ripped it out. The engine runs fine , but a little warning helps. I did the search and it told me where it was ,but not the other end of the wire. Thanks Its a 87 mustang gt
 
R

RIXX93GT

Founding Member
Oct 10, 2002
166
0
0
Dayton, Ohio
Sep 25, 2004
#2
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #2
It runs straight into the main harness that runs near the bottom front of the oil pan. I need to find out if you can just buy the sensor part without having to buy the entire harness.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Sep 25, 2004
#3
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #3
one could get a new sensor and if it includes a long pigtail, mod and solder the wires for your needs.

i might be missing something, but that was my take. good luck.
 
M

must87gt

New Member
Nov 13, 2003
11
0
0
BG KY
Sep 25, 2004
#4
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #4
Thanks guys, I had my car worked on 5 yrs ago and the guy ripped it off also,but he ran it up to the harness running accross the firewall . I did notice the light has never come on the past 5 yrs and it was always a qt low at oil chgs. I dont think he connected it right, Down by the oil pan sounds right. Thanks
 

houstonstangguy

Founding Member
Mar 16, 2002
979
0
0
Houston, Texas
Sep 26, 2004
#5
  • Sep 26, 2004
  • #5
so what we are talking about here is only the sensor wire to make the light come on when the oil gets low? or is it the sensor that makes the oil level go up and down??

the reason I ask is because I too have a black wire hanging down there but my oil pressure gauge works.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Sep 26, 2004
#6
  • Sep 26, 2004
  • #6
houstonstangguy said:
so what we are talking about here is only the sensor wire to make the light come on when the oil gets low? or is it the sensor that makes the oil level go up and down??

the reason I ask is because I too have a black wire hanging down there but my oil pressure gauge works.
Click to expand...
this thread is about the low level sensor, as far as i know. it is the sensor in the driver side of the sump.

im not sure what you are talking about with regard to a sensor that makes the oil level go up or down. i think you are referring to the oil pressure sending unit (for the oil pressure gauge). that sender is near the oil filter, not in the sump.
 

houstonstangguy

Founding Member
Mar 16, 2002
979
0
0
Houston, Texas
Sep 26, 2004
#7
  • Sep 26, 2004
  • #7
you are right about the sender on driver side near the fender, but I kind of got confused as to what was being asked. I thought he might be talking about the low leve light coming on, which I think I have the same problem. like I said, under neath around or on the oil pan I have something hanging and I didn't know what it was until I just saw this post. Now I realized that it is what he was talking about and wanted to get in on the post so I could see any advice on fixing it.

thanks
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Sep 26, 2004
#8
  • Sep 26, 2004
  • #8
Houston, i gotcha. sorry i misunderstood you in your first post. sounds like the same boat for you too.
 

houstonstangguy

Founding Member
Mar 16, 2002
979
0
0
Houston, Texas
Sep 26, 2004
#9
  • Sep 26, 2004
  • #9
thanks for the input, i was kind of confused at first but you cleared it up for me.

thanks again!!!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Blow through intercooled questions
  • AngryH58
  • Aug 31, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
192
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 1, 2026
AngryH58
A
A
P0036 P0056 P0137 P0157 2020 Ford Mustang GT
  • AmkoA
  • Jun 16, 2026
  • 2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
0
Views
239
2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk Jun 16, 2026
AmkoA
A
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
584
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
H
Engine 1987 5.0 HO vacuum hose locations
  • harryhaber
  • Jun 20, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
571
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 21, 2025
limp
9
New from northern MN
  • 91firecracker
  • Apr 19, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
5
Views
198
The Welcome Wagon Apr 19, 2026
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?