Oil pressure too high means oil is too thick ?

Walmart Oil the cheapest you can find and your good with your 110k milege all original 5.0 10/ 40 or 20/50...

+1. You can't beat Mobil One in the 5qt jug at Walmart for $23.88. Unless you have a car that runs on some fairy piss weight, and it's not available at Walmart.

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

Just read some of that awesome oil test. What I took away from it is the newest 0w-40 Mobil1 is pretty badass without any additives. Cool! That's my favorite stuff since I came across it back in Germany.

The oil test takes guess work out of equation - quakerstate full synthetic tested awesome and they use a good amount of zinc in there formula ( zinc content was lowered because of emissions over the years , but many builders recommend zinc - especially during breakin period - more so for flat tappet lifter builds )
2FD3DA16-78E8-45B3-9C89-95E82C4AE3C9.png
120005A5-608C-4792-AB88-23889306E48D.png
580D5F4E-6F7A-4255-B81C-32F397E04CA9.jpeg

Oil pressure senders were variable on 87-89 cars. Larger round one, while the smaller ones found on the 90-93 cars were just switched. You can however toss a sender from an 87-93 on to a 90-93 car and have it variable or vice versa. I've done it both ways

Reactions: 1 user
every Oil sold today meets and exeeds the Norms from 1990.... and the Roller engines dont need Zink ..thats why they came up with the Roller ... Walmart Oil is as good as every other Brand Oil ..but just for a fair price....for a street car you dont even need a synthetic .. if you race ..ok get synth ...way too much "big Thing" about the oils...!

Attachments

• Pax-Car-Chart.png
    Pax-Car-Chart.png
    284.5 KB · Views: 96
  • EPJ5PpJ.jpg
    EPJ5PpJ.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 95
this original sending units are not the best .. thats true ..I installed a low pressure warning light and a manual oil pressure gauge ..to be safe ..

Sure , Walmart oil may be fine, But , According to the guys data on oils each type tested did exhibit different amounts of wear protection in his laboratory testing comparison . Does it matter though in a car that has 100k miles and had all the wear it would get by now , probably not . I am just providing data - also , I don’t know enough about zinc to say it is not needed on roller cams , but if it not needed why are oil engineers putting it in - certainly zinc must aid other wear parts other than lifters ?

At some point we are at the same discussion we have about computers. They are so fast now you can blink and miss 100k operations. So an 8th gen Core i7 processor is faster than a 7th gen. They are both still faster than all us knuckleheads can think, see, or smell. Diminishing returns is what we have. So like you said before, the discussion part is fun....just know that we are discussing how much better .000000000001 millisecond better one is than the other. :D:p

The plot thickens. I can't say now whether the cars after 90 that I owned were "converted" to the old style variable sender, but it makes sense that they could've been.

Indeed, my low mile 91gt had the switch type, as does my 93, my 88 daily driver has the larger varible one. Then there is this lol

From '92 EVTM

60-1 Instrument Cluster

How The Circuit Works

Oil Pressure Gauge
The Oil Pressure Gauge connects to the Oil Pressure Sender (5.0L) or Oil Pressure Switch (2.3L). For 5.0L only, the sender is a pressure-sensitive variable resistor. When oil pressure is low, resistance is high; when oil pressure is high, resistance is low. For 2.3L only, the switch is a normally open Oil Pressure Switch.

every Oil sold today meets and exeeds the Norms from 1990.... and the Roller engines dont need Zink ..thats why they came up with the Roller ... Walmart Oil is as good as every other Brand Oil ..but just for a fair price....for a street car you dont even need a synthetic .. if you race ..ok get synth ...way too much "big Thing" about the oils...!

Shoot at $23.88/5 quarts, why wouldn't you get synthetic? It's cheaper than Conventional now. Especially if you drive your car a couple hundred miles every year. I don't want to change my oil every 90 days when it has 50 miles on it.

Speaking of which, when did Antifreeze get to be $18/gallon? I swear it was $8/gallon the last time I bought it.

Kurt

Low mileage is my issue , I only drive my car here and there. I like to change the oil so I change it every six months or so. I get my oil at Walmart for $23 . Maybe keep the filter. My biggest concern is the F.....in drain bolt. Its good ,but ready to strip at any moment. Castrol GTX really cleans good probably too good