• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-

Oil sending unit

  • Thread starter Thread starter folson
  • Start date Start date Aug 28, 2018
F

folson

Member
Jun 6, 2018
35
0
6
IL
Aug 28, 2018
#1
  • Aug 28, 2018
  • #1
Hello Have a question on the sending unit. Have a 1971 Mustang 302. No Gauges Lights. I have not seen the light come on when starting. I noticed the the sending unit is a"canister" unit which I believe is for gauges not a light. It has that with a extension coming from the block. Am I right ? Also can I change and keep the extension? Will oil leak out in changing the sender? Thanks
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Aug 29, 2018
#2
  • Aug 29, 2018
  • #2
Yes you are right if the question is regarding that canister on the extension (very close to the gas pump and oil filter) being your oil-pressure sending unit.

I do not know any way to tell the difference between the canisters designed for a gauge versus those designed for a light. I'm not saying there is no way to tell the difference, perhaps the use of a multimeter would suffice. You might try looking for a part number on it but that is doubtful.

You may get a drip of oil or two but it will not flow out of the block unless the engine is running in which case it would be a dangerous disaster :-D
 
F

folson

Member
Jun 6, 2018
35
0
6
IL
Aug 29, 2018
#3
  • Aug 29, 2018
  • #3
sir; Thank You. From what I can figure out it appears That the canister ones are for Gauges. Vs the ones that are not. When I got this car the Water temp sensor was wrong ( sensor for gauges vs light) So I am thinking the same for the oil as when you first start the oil light does not come on like the temp light. I know the bulb is good to.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
New guy- first Stang- I love it !!
  • smid333
  • Mar 22, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
5
Views
250
The Welcome Wagon Mar 23, 2026
smid333
S
C
Electrical Fuel Gauge...Help! What did I do or Didn't Do?
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • Sep 3, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
179
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 3, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
Electrical Issues with my 2006 mustang gt
  • VerneVdV
  • May 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
0
Views
176
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech May 22, 2026
VerneVdV
A
A/F ratio gauge install questions.
  • AngryH58
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
92
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 24, 2026
squeak93
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
595
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Oct 4, 2026
manicmechanic007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?