Once and For All.....Door to Body Weather Stripping Shootout

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it's Monday. I got the first set of door seals in late Friday. These are from Fairchild Industries. They are still in the box waiting on the others to arrive. I also got an email and Metro Moulded Parts is shipping their product out today so that completes the list of companies I was hoping to get seals from.

Just a note for information purposes, as of right now I have not heard back from CJ Pony Parts. They said that would at least call me back but nothing as of this posting. As stated above, they have a set that supposedly isn't one of the ones I have. They are a popular company and I'd like to test these if possible.
Each company has received an email with this thread link and a couple has mentioned that they are watching it. Thanks to all of you!

More to come this week as all the products start to make it to my door.

Reactions: 2 users
Your local college/ university may have the equipment needed to do the materials tests. If you can get them on board you may be able to reach out to the big mustang mag and get it published. Very interesting test here.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email from CJ Pony Parts. Their part #WSDR5P is the Fairchild Industries product after all. This is good to know because I have that already on hand. This is the one on their website that sells for $29.99. Thanks to them for getting back to me today.

Your local college/ university may have the equipment needed to do the materials tests. If you can get them on board you may be able to reach out to the big mustang mag and get it published. Very interesting test here.
Been thinking about this. The brain is still churning but I'll keep ya posted...lol. Thanks!

Can you list out what you have an what vendors sells what at some point when you have all the samples in hand?
Yes, definitely. I'll make a list or something once I see what's actually in the boxes. One of my goals is for every reseller to list whose product it is. No use buying the same stuff twice if you are trying to find what works for you. I do appreciate the ones who had no problem telling me who made their in-house seals.

Your local college/ university may have the equipment needed to do the materials tests.

I might have something I can use here at my work that might be of some value. I'll need to investigate first though because we primarily deal with metals so my equipment could be useless for rubber.

If I do have something, i'd just need a small 2" or so section. IIRC when I did my install, they supply you with an extra 6-8" or so of material..i think.

I've received the door seals from Soff Seal part #FD3000. When I spoke with them they told me that they were connected with trimparts.com in some way. Just wanted to give a quick shot of the bag that I got. As you can see it's labeled GM Restoration Parts. The website says their parts are licensed GM Restoration parts. Also, notice they are made in India. I'm waiting on all products to arrive before I do any product pictures or even take them out of the bags that they've all come in so far.

Attachments

• SoffSeal.jpg
    SoffSeal.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 294
I've received the door seals from Soff Seal part #FD3000. When I spoke with them they told me that they were connected with trimparts.com in some way. Just wanted to give a quick shot of the bag that I got. As you can see it's labeled GM Restoration Parts. The website says their parts are licensed GM Restoration parts. Also, notice they are made in India. I'm waiting on all products to arrive before I do any product pictures or even take them out of the bags that they've all come in so far.

hmmm, I wouldn't use that..... bad things will happen if you use GM restoration parts on your Mustang.... it makes them go slower for sure....

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
Friday Update. Yesterday evening I got a box in from Daniel Carpenter. I haven't looked at this one yet so no packaging details. Some of the packaging details I'm giving you guys would never be known for the ones that are wholesale since some companies repackage in their own branded packages. I think it's interesting stuff to know though. I got word that I have one more box waiting for me today so I should have that this evening. I'll let y'all know anything I can on that one as well.

Well, we now have all the requested door seals in. Time to get started taking pictures and measuring. Putting all this together will take some time because I want to be thorough. I've already posted one picture of a bag that came in but I'm going to show how each product arrived and was packaged. I never really thought much about this until I started getting these in and got to see how each company packaged their products. I'm not referring so much to the way the shipping company handled them but more about the internal method of packaging. Believe it or not, there are a difference and a benefit. More to come on that.

I ended up with a pair of door seals from Fairchild Industries, Soffseal, and Metro Rubber. I also received a single door seal from Daniel Carpenter. In addition, I already had on-hand Late Model Restoration's Item #LRS-20708A-K. These are the cheaper LMR seals. I will list all part numbers in the next post along with the pictures, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, guys. Just wanted to pop in here and let everyone know that the next installment should be up in the next couple days. I've got everything together and am working out a few technical details with the format of the post. Talk soon!

First up is some product pictures as shipped and in no particular order. As I mentioned above, these products are from the manufacturer. I will put together a list of some kind showing where you can purchase them and what the part numbers are. And on that same note please remember all my info is what I was given at the time of writing but I'll do the best I can. Another point on packaging that I'd like to make is creasing/bending. This stuff will get a crease in it at times and it may take forever or never to come out. This can cause a small air or water leak where that crease is. Keep this in mind when looking at how they are packaged. To me it's important. I live in Alabama. It's as hot as you know what down here most of the year so if a crease won't work it's way out down here you can forget it. Same thing with that so-called break-in period. In this evaluation, I'm using all the info given me to represent each product to the best of my ability. When speaking with each person I took notes as we talked so I could get all the information recorded. Several people had comments about different products but I will only include things that I feel are important and I can verify or I will note “can't verify” if necessary. I'm just trying to get all the info out for you guys and I hope it helps in some small way.

DanielCarpenter.jpg

DanielCarpenter2.jpg

This is the Daniel Carpenter product. It's a single door weatherstripping and it's packaged nicely in a large circle. The DC part number is F3ZZ-6120708. It's in a Dennis Carpenter box but shipped from Daniel Carpenter. No big deal but just wanted to throw that in, in case someone was wondering. I think I addressed that whole thing in an earlier post.

Fairchild.jpg

Next up is the Fairchild Industries product. It's a pair of door weatherstripping. Both are in a single bag. This doesn't mean it will be when you get it though. This is CJ Pony Parts part #WSDR5P according to CJPP.

LMR.jpg

This is the Late Model Restoration (LMR) product. It is their part #LRS-20708A. LMR told me this product is listed as “various manufacturers.” This is common in the parts business for a low-end product and maybe even some high-end ones. As mentioned earlier, LMR stated that their better product is purchased from Daniel Carpenter. This bag I have has no label at all on it. This seal is the one that is on my car at the moment and has been there for about two months.

Last edited:
Metro1.jpg

Metro2.jpg

Metro Moulded Parts sent their pair of door seals. Their part #IS-LM110-M is what I was told was the better set. They are individually boxed and also come wound into a very nice circle that has zero creases in it. It's also shrink-wrapped on the backer board inside the box so no chance of movement. Yes, I like this attention to detail. Of note is that these are made in India. It was mentioned to me that this product was or is supplied to SoffSeal (also showing made in India) but I can't confirm this. There is more info inside the shrink wrap that I will get to later.

SoffSeal.jpg

And we have the SoffSeal products. Their part # is SS-FD3000. This is a pair of door seals in a single bag. I posted an earlier picture of these when I got them in and showed the authorized GM restoration product info on the bag. This should be a good thing and hopefully will keep the quality high. In the box is a card stating “100% Satisfaction Guarantee....PERIOD!!!” As you can see from the bag it's a product of India.

And that's the five. I've named each picture accordingly just in case the forum doesn't allow me to put them in order in the posts. I have to say that Metro Moulded Parts gets the win on packaging hands down. Very impressive and professional.

I'm hoping to get the next part up with additional information in a day or two.

Thanks for following along!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Well, there are the two posts. The forum made me divide it up stating that I can only attach five pictures to one post and the first one is "waiting moderator approval." If you guys can, please put it in order as submitted or the article won't read correctly. Thanks!

Great job so far Wayne and again, thanks for all of the efforts. Just a note regarding manufacturing country. If a product is made overseas it's required by law to have a conspicuous label stating country of origin. The seals which don't have the label anywhere are either made in the US or they're in violation. While the violation may not be of concern, the requirement (if being properly followed), helps separate the foreign vs. US made seals.