Once and For All.....Door to Body Weather Stripping Shootout

I always start at the seat pivot point then go back and up the B pillar. My thought is that if I get a crease or something I can pull that off and not have very much done. I will say I've never been able to get a crease out no matter what I try. Save yourself the trouble and get the DC ones. They are like a dream. Plus that crease will make a noise, if not now, very soon.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I always start at the seat pivot point then go back and up the B pillar. My thought is that if I get a crease or something I can pull that off and not have very much done. I will say I've never been able to get a crease out no matter what I try. Save yourself the trouble and get the DC ones. They are like a dream. Plus that crease will make a noise, if not now, very soon.
Yeah I can tell, sat in the car and for the most part it seemed sealed but I could stick my finger in the top corner and where it was creased so I’m sure it would leak or make noise. Appreciate this write up and I’ll try and go counter clock wise this next time and see, I’m wondering if once I add the bushings to both striker bolts if I’m gonna have any door closing or clearance issues.

• Agree
Wonder if I’d be going over board by ordering this deluxe kit. Everything is original, the doors were bad ripped in certain places. The hatch still seems good but is certainly old. My outer door belt trims I tried to clean and sprayed them awhile back but have some pitting or chips etc that you can still see
97F8EA29-A4D5-4069-A239-DB6A3B61C2DD.jpeg
B75AB5BD-A1D2-43C5-AEEE-7F76097CAEB2.jpeg

After Wayne's recommendations on the Daniel Carpenter stuff I ordered the kit from Blue Oval for my 'vert. Everything in what I received was D.C., fit great and it was hard to beat their price. Like you I had a few pieces that were in okay shape and didn't HAVE to be replaced. Did it anyhow and was happy I did. Wayne has already said it, do it once and be done!

Reactions: 2 users
Does the trim and bumper paint work well. One time coverage. The front bumper on my Tacoma is light grey it would look real good black again..Edit just ordered it going to get I will put some before and after pics

Last edited:
Changed mine today. Took longer to remove all the screws and trim than to actually install it. Fit like a glove. Looked nearly identical to the factory weatherstripping that was still in my car from ‘93, just not compressed and torn. Closing the door produces the same feel as before, as in no added effort to get it to latch. Looking forward to driving it and seeing if some of the wind noise does down.

Reactions: 1 users
So I began this adventure again last night and as usual I didn’t go back and read the past posts before just jumpin right in. So as said these weather strips are way better than the lmr ones. Started on the drivers door, went counter clockwise, this one tucked up into the corner nicely, no creases. Only thing I noticed is, I used my dead blow for this and in that 90* turn it sat in good, but I feel if I push it is seems to move in more and once I let it go it moves back slightly. So seems to be a little play idk if that just normally for a slight bounce or if it should be biting down solid like it does on the straight lines. So after all was said and done weather strip wise, I buttoned everything up and then remembered hmmm I have those striker bushing let me toss it in. I install it, line up the striker back to where it was originally, I’m pumped! Give the door an easy swing shut and denied!!!!!!!! Give it a harder shut, and it barely latches. I adjust it slightly also thinking maybe I had it to tight since the bushing wasn’t freely spin able it was just jammed. Try again and barely latches. So I go back and read, and some where in this thread it someone’s states to try and install the bushing and close the door with no weather strip in. Can I pull this new strip back out now or am I going to lose all the glue by doing so? If not how do I adjust this thing. Currently I removed the striker bushing and the door closes. Even though it does it seems the top corner of the door sticks out a little, and along the crease line by the key lock it pops out a little, again this is currently closed, which it did fairly easily, and no striker bushing on right now. A little more with the drivers door is it won’t stay open like the passenger side door does. So I’m guessing that means the door bushing is bad. The door doesn’t seem to sag, but it will shut back on you. So on the drivers side I’m stuck and need some help or pointers of what to do. Now the passenger side, I removed the original WS, this side also has no striker bushing. So closed the door with no WS installed and this door obviously is loose. Where do I go from here bushing wise etc before I install the new WS? I’m gonna add some photos of the drivers side and I’ll get some videos up, wish we could just add video instead of having to go to YouTube but I’ll have them posted shortly.
66523FA3-7508-4661-BD59-750C570DBB84.jpeg
E2E188FF-CBD1-43CF-BD50-19798D716D4F.jpeg
9E7ADE81-AC37-459A-B7B5-FE674ECD635A.jpeg

View: https://youtu.be/JfZcR3Ya-dc

View: https://youtu.be/fFAg_sw0KM8

Yeah, you need to get that door adjusted without the seal in place first.
We used to use this stuff we called snot, it was yellow and I can't remember who made it. Dupont? Weatherstrip Adhesive. Now that was many years ago, I'm sure @Davedacarpainter will remember, or give a modern version.

Yeah, you need to get that door adjusted without the seal in place first.
We used to use this stuff we called snot, it was yellow and I can't remember who made it. Dupont? Weatherstrip Adhesive. Now that was many years ago, I'm sure @Davedacarpainter will remember, or give a modern version.
Ok is there some where in here that explains this set up? So currently on the passenger side, I installed the bushing, these are just bushings I bought from advance, got two new striker set ups but just pulled the bushings off. Anyways installed last night, adjusted striker back to original spot closed the door and it wouldn’t open. Had to get inside pull the handle and basically punch the door open. I’m sure this isn’t a difficult job but I’m not getting something. So why no weather strip, to get the door to adjust with the new bushing? I’d hate to pull the new installed strip out on the drivers but if I have to I will, so I want to get the passenger done right since it has no strip installed. Is this stuff any good in case I do have to pull the drivers side seal out?
5A44758B-E568-4599-9EB9-BB6D320F8FDD.jpeg

Ok, it has been years since I had to adjust a door, the idea it to get the gaps right and alignment top and bottom, you do this without the striker installed, if you have never taken the door off you should be good, install the striker and adjust door closing so it's flush with the quarter panel, install the door rubber. You can install the door rubber then the striker if you prefer. I'm not an expert, this is just how I've done them in the past.

Ok, it has been years since I had to adjust a door, the idea it to get the gaps right and alignment top and bottom, you do this without the striker installed, if you have never taken the door off you should be good, install the striker and adjust door closing so it's flush with the quarter panel, install the door rubber. You can install the door rubber then the striker if you prefer. I'm not an expert, this is just how I've done them in the past.
Gotcha man well I’m just going to have to try and do more research I guess. I you tubed stuff and it’s all very basic, just mainly states don’t lose your old striker spot but obviously I’m in a different situation. I guess i don’t see how if say, my weather strip was fine to begin with but I wanted to replace my striker bushing, one shouldn’t have to rip out the weather strip right. So I’m guessing it’s just gonna have to be the pita small incremental adjustments to the striker bolt to get the door to align. Funny how this car was fine for decades and I never really noticed these stupid bushing until now. So I can’t remember exactly how the door sat with the previous old WS in place, so it’s hard to compare it to the new installed one but it seems slightly off. With the bushing installed it’s completely off. What’s the harm with running no bushings as I’ve obviously have for years now? Think I’ll try and set the passenger door up, since the WS is off and I can play with the striker bushing on and adjust the door before installing the new WS in. As for the drivers side I’ll just keep on trying to adjust the striker until it fits the best.