Oregon DEQ and Headers

bchilt

Jan 7, 2007
Beaverton
I sure would like to run Long Tubes but I have to take the car through DEQ. Any of you have any experience with this? On pre 1996 cars, I know they use mirrors and check for cats. That's what they did on mine last time. Do they fail you if they see the LTs?

Thanks,

B

• Sponsors (?)

I've had 3 vehicles with Long Tubes go through DEQ. The only thing that they nail me for is the noise. On my Bronco, I have to unbolt the headers and put baffles in place to quiet things down. Even then, I barely pass, and sometimes don't if they have me in the stall closest to the wall. As soon as I'm home and the pipes cool down, the baffles come out and I'm good for 2 years.

It's easier on the '96+ vehicles. They just plug in and read your computer. Without the sniffer test, they never have you rev up and never realize how loud your vehicle is. My old '98 Cobra was louder than the Bronco, but no problems at all.

run longtubes and get a catted midpipe. As far as noise, put some silencers in your exhaust or stick steel wool in there. They only do an idle test and the HC's are the only issue, along with noise you'd have to worry about. If your car is modded take out the diverter valves for the smog pump and hook it straight to the exhaust....

If that still doesnt work then loosen up your tailpipes so it leaks out over the axle tubes. It will be loud and they will do a db test but they can only check at the tips of the tailpipes...

True story: I did everything above on my 2.3 car before I yanked the engine and i have a slip showing zero emissions....hahahhaha they had to pass me.

no prob...

Drew

run longtubes and get a catted midpipe. As far as noise, put some silencers in your exhaust or stick steel wool in there. They only do an idle test and the HC's are the only issue, along with noise you'd have to worry about. If your car is modded take out the diverter valves for the smog pump and hook it straight to the exhaust....

If that still doesnt work then loosen up your tailpipes so it leaks out over the axle tubes. It will be loud and they will do a db test but they can only check at the tips of the tailpipes...

True story: I did everything above on my 2.3 car before I yanked the engine and i have a slip showing zero emissions....hahahhaha they had to pass me.

no prob...

Drew

Some good tricks!!!

emissions sucks. Its pretty cool to roll into a deq and lean out idle via pms, pass with flying colors then set it back to stoich and blow the steel wool out the back hahaha.