Original wheels and tires vs aftermarket wheels and tires

I recently bought a 2003 Base Model Mustang a few months ago. After a bit of driving I noticed that the front passenger tire was going bald quickly. After a bit of research I discovered that the wheel bearing was bad. While replacing it I happened to discover that the wheels and tires on this car were not the original size. The original size is 225/55R16. The tires on the car are 245/45R17. It appears that the size presently on the car are the 2003 Mustang GT size. Could this have played a part in the bearing going bad? Could this size tire on the base model have an adverse effect on anything else?

• Sponsors (?)

" Could this have played a part in the bearing going bad?" Unlikely.
" Could this size tire on the base model have an adverse effect on anything else?" Again, unlikely.
A quick look at a random tire size calculator indicates the 245/45R17s are 0.2% less in circumference/diameter, which is of no real significance...the width is 8.9% greater, again not significant. More likely the wheel bearing (and/or other worn front end parts) contributed to the front end misalignment that wore out your tire. Check it all out thoroughly or have a front end shop do it to ensure your new tire(s) last as they should.

If it eases your mind, I have 255/40ZR18 on the front of my 2000 GT that are running true and wearing correctly...originals were spec'd the same as your 2003. Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user