other drivers reacting to presence of 5.0

THOR74

Dec 5, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I drive two cars. One is the toy 5.0 you see in my avatar. The other is a daily driver Saturn coupe. I find that the drivers around me all tend to get aggressive when I'm in the 5.0. It's like the car itself is perceived as issuing a challenge or something. What get's me the most is that it's the people driving lame cars like minivans etc. that often get the most excitable, NOT the car enthusiasts.

Years ago, when I first started driving the 5.0 I quickly realized that if I didn't put the psychological brakes on, so to speak, I would end up in some kind of a defacto street race several times per trip. For example, the guy in the minivan or pick up truck just has to stay ahead of me, no matter what, and I know that if I speed up even more he'll do the same - to the point where both of us are way over speed limits.

I have successfully used this phenomenon many times to "slingshot" these idiots into waiting police speed traps, both in town and on the highway. The results are truly priceless.

Or, even stupider, are the people who seem to want to "race" me towards and into standing red lights. Passing me to get there first, as if it's some sort of accomplishment.

It seems as if, in order to satisfy those around me, I'm expected to always be driving "fast", proving something or putting on a show.

When I drive my dd Saturn, none of this shyte ever happens. It can get really annoying. I've gotten better at ignoring it and try to have fun with it when I can.

That 5.0 badge on my fenders still carries much authority, especially where I live due to the fact that there are relatively few performance cars here, especially new and/or high end ones. As well, nobody knows what mods may have been done to the car, and we all know how pump-uppable a stock 5.0 Mustang can be. My car has a killer deep loud growl and it's entertaining to watch people react to it wherever I go.

I drive a noticeable car, and reactions are fine for sure...it's the stupid reactions that I can do without.

Can you guys relate? Maybe share a story?

• Sponsors (?)

+1 man. I usually drive mine like a grandma when I am in town.drives people nuts! it is kinda funny to watch people roll their windows down when they hear the rumbling stang pull up next to them & then a soccer mom in a dodge caravan will stomp on it when the light turns green! I just laugh.. most of the looks I get are in parking lots, mainly from married men/dads:drool: that had to either get rid of their muscle car when they got married because the wife said so or they have always wanted one but the wife won't let them have it.......

I drive my 91LX daily and I get more high fives in that car than any other car I have ever owned. It is clean, has nice paint, slightly lowered with exhaust but I get people talking about the car atleast 4 times a week. Then I remeber the damn thing is almost 20 years old so it holds memorys for lots of folks.

My 5.0, when I'm home for the summer, is my DD. I drive it to work, which usually gets the most attention. Parking it far out in the lot means that a ton of people always walk over to see it. It's nice attention. But you're right about being expected to drive fast. People like to blow on by. Or just mess with me.

You want a story though? Hmm. I had three friends in the car and we were on a road that was merging down to one lane. I was doing the speed limit, but this guy in an Oldsmobile Eighty Eight had been following us close. As I go to merge over, he speeds up right on my quarter panel. Not even thinking, I dropped into third and got on it to open the gap so I could get over. I look in my rear-view and he was clapping and giving me a thumbs up.

hahaha, all true, this one is one of my faves to do --> "I have successfully used this phenomenon many times to "slingshot" these idiots into waiting police speed traps"

like a year ago I tricked a ricer into racing when I knew there was a cop behind us, guessing he got a drag racing ticket or excessive speeding, it was great, haha

Heh...when my car is out, people tend to drive slower...keep their distance...drive closer to the white line and give me plenty of room. You'd think my car was a ticking time bomb.

Nobody cares where I live. If it's not a Benz or a BMW or a modded import...it's a POS to most.

Fine by me because everyone leaves me alone and i get to enjoy my ride in peace. I get annoyed when people start revving at me or instigating me.

My 5.0, when I'm home for the summer, is my DD. I drive it to work, which usually gets the most attention. Parking it far out in the lot means that a ton of people always walk over to see it. It's nice attention. But you're right about being expected to drive fast. People like to blow on by. Or just mess with me.

You want a story though? Hmm. I had three friends in the car and we were on a road that was merging down to one lane. I was doing the speed limit, but this guy in an Oldsmobile Eighty Eight had been following us close. As I go to merge over, he speeds up right on my quarter panel. Not even thinking, I dropped into third and got on it to open the gap so I could get over. I look in my rear-view and he was clapping and giving me a thumbs up.

Thumbs up? are you sure it wasn't REALLY the middle thumb instead :lol:

I don't know about you guys, but people around here drive like dumbasses regardless of what I'm driving. It pisses me off even more when I'm in my 92 because that is my pride an joy. I can't stand taligators . Just one of these days some numbnut is going to scuff up my rear bumper, or worse.

Of course, I do get the occasional ricer revvin his fart pipe. I don't even look over. One time I was at a 7-11 in my 92 years ago. As soon as I pulled in, there were this group of teenagers , and they ALL had some form of rice. The one next to me, the passenger rolled down his window and in a pissy ass tone says "Pu$$y ASS B*TCH......." then says it again like i'm supposed to respond. I looked over and they quickly started up and left, spinning the tires. Stupid ass punks. I wasn't goin for that crap.

Thumbs up? are you sure it wasn't REALLY the middle thumb instead :lol:

I don't know about you guys, but people around here drive like dumbasses regardless of what I'm driving. It pisses me off even more when I'm in my 92 because that is my pride an joy. I can't stand taligators . Just one of these days some numbnut is going to scuff up my rear bumper, or worse.

Of course, I do get the occasional ricer revvin his fart pipe. I don't even look over. One time I was at a 7-11 in my 92 years ago. As soon as I pulled in, there were this group of teenagers , and they ALL had some form of rice. The one next to me, the passenger rolled down his window and in a pissy ass tone says "Pu$$y ASS B*TCH......." then says it again like i'm supposed to respond. I looked over and they quickly started up and left, spinning the tires. Stupid ass punks. I wasn't goin for that crap.

haha if it was the middle thumb, I still don't care. He got noise and fumes. Shouldn't have pulled crap on me. haha

I get the ricer revs too. Best was a twin cam Saturn with a 4 inch exhaust and that's it. I'm young, but I had 4 years on this kid. I bet he'd just picked up his license. I'm filling up at the gas station and he comes out of the store and says "Hey man, Nice 5 slow. Wanna race? I'll kick your ass!" I just stare back and respond: "What did you just say?" He starts to fill it up and brags about all the work he's done to it. I keep the same look. The pump clicks, I close it up and get back in, and crank the motor over. He practically jumped. Needless to say, he waited until I left the station to get into his car.

I wouldn't have raced him anyways. Gas is too expensive for a poor college student :nonono:

I pisses me off when people try to race because I don't want to lose my license over a race with a minivan and the problem with the laws today is that they can ticket you for racing even though you didn't participate and yes you can fight it but it's going to cost you time and money, and when you are in front of the judge and they know you have a "soooped up mustang" you are already guilty in their eyes. You will be "walking up hill three miles in the snow, barefoot, both ways" so to speak.

Or, even stupider, are the people who seem to want to "race" me towards and into standing red lights. Passing me to get there first, as if it's some sort of accomplishment.

No, you missed the really stupid part that happened later that afternoon when they told their buddies how they "beat a five-oh". :rlaugh:

I've noticed that since I began DD'ing my '92, which looks and sounds pretty tame, people tend to be pretty aggressive. I guess they figure it's stock so here's their chance to show up a 5.0. It's usually the "young professional" driving the Lexus IS/GS, Infiniti, Audi) that are constantly out to prove something. These guys aren't the type that will rev at you. They'll look straight ahead as if they don't see me but as soon as the light changes they haul ass. At the next light THEN they'll look over like "Yeah, you didn't wany any." :rlaugh:

When I'm in the '90 it's a completely different story. Like 85_SS said, most people seem to avoid making any sudden moves. lol

I pisses me off when people try to race because I don't want to lose my license over a race with a minivan and the problem with the laws today is that they can ticket you for racing even though you didn't participate and yes you can fight it but it's going to cost you time and money, and when you are in front of the judge and they know you have a "soooped up mustang" you are already guilty in their eyes. You will be "walking up hill three miles in the snow, barefoot, both ways" so to speak.

No, you missed the really stupid part that happened later that afternoon when they told their buddies how they "beat a five-oh". :rlaugh:

Here in Florida they tend not to give a "Racing Ticket", it tends to be easy to fight and no one can prove anything. Cops tend to write reckless driving, which is nearly impossible to fight.

I used to think it was a 5.0 thing until I started riding a bike as well.

Anything cool, people in ordinary cages feel the need to make themselves feel better by going faster, driving more aggressive than the person on or in the cool toy.

Most cars don't have the soul that most of our foxes have by nature of the beast, now they have to encorporate NVH to make people have warm fuzzies.

When was the last time you heard someone say that everytime they turn the key on the minivan it puts a smile on their face?

I drive two cars. One is the toy 5.0 you see in my avatar. The other is a daily driver Saturn coupe. I find that the drivers around me all tend to get aggressive when I'm in the 5.0. It's like the car itself is perceived as issuing a challenge or something. What get's me the most is that it's the people driving lame cars like minivans etc. that often get the most excitable, NOT the car enthusiasts.

Years ago, when I first started driving the 5.0 I quickly realized that if I didn't put the psychological brakes on, so to speak, I would end up in some kind of a defacto street race several times per trip. For example, the guy in the minivan or pick up truck just has to stay ahead of me, no matter what, and I know that if I speed up even more he'll do the same - to the point where both of us are way over speed limits.

I have successfully used this phenomenon many times to "slingshot" these idiots into waiting police speed traps, both in town and on the highway. The results are truly priceless.

It seems as if, in order to satisfy those around me, I'm expected to always be driving "fast", proving something or putting on a show.

When I drive my dd Saturn, none of this shyte ever happens. It can get really annoying. I've gotten better at ignoring it and try to have fun with it when I can.

That 5.0 badge on my fenders still carries much authority, especially where I live due to the fact that there are relatively few performance cars here, especially new and/or high end ones. As well, nobody knows what mods may have been done to the car, and we all know how pump-uppable a stock 5.0 Mustang can be. My car has a killer deep loud growl and it's entertaining to watch people react to it wherever I go.

I drive a noticeable car, and reactions are fine for sure...it's the stupid reactions that I can do without.

Can you guys relate? Maybe share a story?

LOL before i even read this whole thing i was thinking 'sounds like ontario' :rlaugh:

My most recent encounter with this kind of thing.... well.... I caved. *shame*

I was the first car that got caught behind the rail road crossing bars waiting for the train to go by. Once the bars lifted, I started out normally (which for me, usually includes a good bit of the gas pedal whne there's nobody infront of me). I'm just not used to seeing anyone sitting on my ass under those circumstances. Most are left well behind me under normal (although usually spirited) acceleration.

So anyway, I don't notice this dude until he tries passing me using the oncoming traffic lane. It's a Pontiac GTP and I'm sure that he's got LOTS of stories about how he toasted 5 OHs going down this country road. He was going to have to lie about this one though. :owned: