P1260. Car won't start

MOCKBA

Apr 3, 2019
Atlanta
My 99 V6 quit on me yesterday. I have this car for 20 years and it just won't start no more.

Towed it to mechanic and he pointed out that Anti-theft doesn't prove-out and stays lit (not flashing) in RUN position. So I borrowed his supped-up scanner that could reprogram keys etc and sure enough it shows P1260 code that I couldn't reset. Scanner says that code reset is successful but when I read codes again P1260 is still there.

So I found Ford official service article @ https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=96406&d=1263542494 and went thru Erase Ignition Keys couple times - No luck. Same behavior.

Should I go thru Replacing PATS Module and/or Replacing PCM procedures?

Mechanic says I need new ECC and it would be $500 and a week to reprogram it. Is it so? Should instruction in article be sufficient?

The article says that P1260 code should have DTCs stored in PATS. How do I access those to further diagnose if ECC needs to be replaced?

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering. Did you do a simple DTC reset or did you ERASE the PATS keys?

If just a simple DTC reset then you really haven't done anything to solve the problem.

If you have erased the PATS keys, then it will be necessary to perform the re-programming procedure. NOTE two keys are required.

Do you have two different PATS keys? If so, here's some information on a possible DIY solution.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Note, IMO replacing the PCM should only be done after EVERYTHING else has been ruled out. Often replacing a PCM will create as many new problems as it solves and should only be done when it has been CONFIRMED that the PCM is bad.

With an advanced ODB2 scanner you can do some trouble shooting. IF the PATS module is actually reading keys, replacing parts is not the right answer. On the other hand IF the PATS module isn't reading keys THEN the re-programming will FAIL.

Just wondering. Did you do a simple DTC reset or did you ERASE the PATS keys?

If just a simple DTC reset then you really haven't done anything to solve the problem.

If you have erased the PATS keys, then it will be necessary to perform the re-programming procedure. NOTE two keys are required.

Do you have two different PATS keys? If so, here's some information on a possible DIY solution.

I believe I did DTC reset - "Clear Codes" on Autel scanner and it doesn't remove P1260 code.

I actually managed to get rid of P1260 code today. I think clearing Keep Alive Data was the key. I went thru Replacing PATS procedure (i.e. re-paired PATS to PCM) couple times in hopes that perhaps it would make PATS talk to PCM. THEFT light started to go off after 3 seconds, i.e. it appeared that PATS proved-out keys, however the car wouldn't start and after a few cranks I would get P1260 code back..

Me think bad PATS transceiver. $37 from dealer and it should come tomorrow. (Apparently one could get PATS transceiver only from the dealer)

Oh yeah, I am getting B2141 in HEC which is according to service article points to PATS.

Should be about an hour job to swap PATS, right? And I have to pull out the lock to get to it, right?

P.S. I do have two keys and I've cleared/re-programmed them half a dozen times by now.

I keep hearing about ForScan. Is it really free for PC nowadays? Is it the software the guy in the YouTube in linked article uses to re-program donor PCM?

My mechanic let me borrow his Autel but if I don't need to bother him with ForScan I will check it out. Plus I've heard that it is possible to disable PATS in PCM with some custom PCM tuning. Anybody knows how to do that with ForScan? Just disabling PATS and keeping the rest stock?

ForScan is an ODB2 scanner with two way communication. However it is not a re-programmer.

Regarding your questions about ForScan. I encourage you to do your own research. Even better, write about your experiences. But if you have access to a professional scanner then you don't need ForScan. I created the ForScan information to prove that it doesn't take a ton of $$ to have an advanced ODB2 scanner.

There's a pinpoint test K in the Ford service manual to trouble shoot the instrument cluster, PCM, NMV keep alive power source, and wiring. If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able help. PM if interested.

>>
B2141 NVM Configuration Failure (No PCM ID Exchange Between Instrument Cluster and PCM)

PINPOINT TEST K: THE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY — NVM CONFIGURATION FAILURE (NO PCM ID EXCHANGED BETWEEN INSTRUMENT CLUSTER AND PCM)

>>
Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index DTC Description Source Action
B1202 Fuel Sender Open Circuit ICM REFER to Section 413-01 .
B1204 Fuel Sender Short to Ground ICM REFER to Section 413-01 .
B1213 Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Keys is Below Minimum ICM GO to Pinpoint Test D .
B2103 or B1232 Antenna Not Connected — Defective Transceiver ICM GO to Pinpoint Test E .
B1317 Battery Voltage High ICM REFER to Section 414-00 .
B1318 Battery Voltage Low ICM REFER to Section 414-00 .
B1342 ECU Is Defective ICM REFER to Section 413-01 .
B1356 Ignition Run Circuit Open ICM REFER to Section 211-05 .
B1364 Ignition Start Circuit Open ICM REFER to Section 211-05 .
B1600 PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received — Damaged Key or Non-PATS Key ICM GO to Pinpoint Test F .
B1601 PATS Received Incorrect Key-Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key) ICM GO to Pinpoint Test G .
B1602 PATS Received Invalid Format Of Key-Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Partial Key Read) ICM GO to Pinpoint Test H .
B1681 PATS Transceiver Signal Is Not Received (Not Connected, Damaged, or Wiring) ICM GO to Pinpoint Test I .
B2139 PCM ID Does Not Match Between Instrument Cluster and PCM ICM GO to Pinpoint Test J .
B2141 NVM Configuration Failure (No PCM ID Exchange Between Instrument Cluster and PCM) ICM GO to Pinpoint Test K .
B2143 NVM Memory Failure ICM REFER to Section 413-01
C1284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure ICM REFER to Section 413-01 .
U1147 SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Vehicle Security PCM/SCP GO to Pinpoint Test C .
U1262 Missing SCP Message J1850 REFER to Section 418-00 .

Last edited: