Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
I sent my car into the mechanic today, and gave him these instructions:

1. Order and install a 130-amp alt.
2. Grind alt. bracket to make it fit.
3. Upgrade to 4 gauge wiring.

When I got off work, he did none of the above. Instead, he installed a refurbed alt, that supposedly puts out 78 amps. Here's what he told me in a condensed version:

"Yeah, I know you've talked to people on the Internet, but not all of them know what they are doing and it's not safe. For starters, I tried to order a Special Service Mustang alternator, but Ford doesn't sell them anymore (apparently he didn't realize other companies made 3G alts). Secondly, it won't fit, and even if I grind the bracket, it won't be secure anymore with the modified bracket you risk it flying loose into say, your radiator because of a higher chance of it breaking off. Thirdly, I don't want to change your wiring because there's a risk of burning your wires. I'm doing all of this for your safety, and the fact that I'm a licensed mechanic and I don't want to lose my license."

He then proceded to hook up the battery to an meter and showed me how the voltage dropped at low idle. So he told me not to idle a lot. He also strongly recommended me to remove my underdrive pulley, but says it is not necessary.

Consultation with Ford dealership mechanics turned out almost the same result, with the exception of a few who said it could be done.

Well, I've got a new alt. in my car, even though I didn't specifically ask for that one. I don't know if I should be happy or not, as I don't think this refurb will really handle the car audio and headlights. Mind you, it's just a hi-output CD player, but I plan on adding amplifiers to the speakers (no subs, it's a vert) so that may hurt it even more. I'm some what miffed at both the fact that he said he couldn't do it, and even more at the fact he installed the new one without consulting me. What do you guys think of the situation?

• Sponsors (?)

There are two kinds of mechanics out there, technicians and parts changers. Technician's figure things out, and either your mechanic is a parts changer or he is afraid of the liability since he's stupid. He knows nothing about how a car really works, he only can change parts and if they arn't exactly the same, he's dumbfounded. They make all of us look bad. I am an assistant technician and work with the best of the best of what I have scene. I went to tech school and studied automotive technology. I have no respect for these idiots.

You only need to grind a small amount, and really YOU can do it yourself easy. Then tuck back the big harness, cut the white wire and run it to the stator plug, then run your -4 cable to the solonoid.

This is your fault for paying someone to do a job that involves a ratchet set, a file, and a pair of wire cutters. And for what he probably would charge you, you could buy the ratchet set, cutters, and file, and get to keep them when the job is over, and have spent the same amount of money.

I would never ask a non-speed or non-upgrade type of shop to do this.

I for one don't blame him for not wanting the liability. Ya, it works, i have it done and half this forum also has it, but he can't know what newer alternators will do on every single type of car he works on. Whether you think so or not, it's a light custom job.

I think that if you want to own a high performance car with mods, you have to be prepared to do them yourself.

If you let someone else do the work, you will forever be at their mercy. They will own your wallet and control your car.

Here's websites with pictures of the 3G installation...

See http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/3G_130A_Alternator_Upgrade.htm - all the tech data you could ever want to know
OR
http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/alternator.html - excellent pictures of installation

Use theses sites for information on the right way to do the wiring. Some people will tell you that you can skip the wiring upgrade, but it will catch up with you sooner or later. A fire in the wiring harness is ugly and expensive.

Under no circumstances connect the two 10 gauge black/white wires to the 3G alternator. If the fuse blows in the 4 gauge wire, the two 10 gauge wires will be overloaded to the point of catching fire and burning up the wiring harness.

The 3G conversion works great if you follow the web site installation instructions. I have done it and it wasn't that hard. The most difficult part was using a drill with a rotary file to trim the bracket to clear the 3G. When I got done, the mount looked like it was made for a 3G since I trimmed the entire web off rather than just cutting a notch to clear the rear of the 3G.

I'll bet my FAA Airframe & Powerplant aircraft mechanic license against his piddling little car mechanic license any day. Mess up the wiring in your car and it is off to the side of the road and call a tow truck. Mess up the wiring in an airplane and you crash and burn and maybe kill a lot of people.

Done correctly, there is no danger to the car or wiring. That's why there is a 125-150 amp fuse in the 4 gauge wire close to the battery.

90mustangGT said:
There are two kinds of mechanics out there, technicians and parts changers. Technician's figure things out, and either your mechanic is a parts changer or he is afraid of the liability since he's stupid. He knows nothing about how a car really works, he only can change parts and if they arn't exactly the same, he's dumbfounded. They make all of us look bad. I am an assistant technician and work with the best of the best of what I have scene. I went to tech school and studied automotive technology. I have no respect for these idiots.
damn....i dont think that you could have worded it any better!

2000xp8 is right too. you could have bought an alot off a junker or stangnet classifieds for about $50, a nice socket set for $40 and a file for $8. heck, you could have bought a dremel and a cutting/grinding kit for like $45..... and STILL saved about $50.

N8Miller said:
90mustangGT said:
2000xp8 is right too. you could have bought an alot off a junker or stangnet classifieds for about $50, a nice socket set for $40 and a file for $8. heck, you could have bought a dremel and a cutting/grinding kit for like $45..... and STILL saved about $50.

The look on NON-mechanic extrordinare's face when you blow by his shop with wheel wells full of smoke and 2000 Watts of Pimp Pumping Power??? -- Priceless

I agree, you need to do things yourself. Not trying to be a smart*ss, but if you can't do a 3G yourself, then I would sell your Mustang and get a Z06 because by the time you get your Mustang to beat the Z06 paying for other's labor, the Z06 will be cheaper.

The 3G is a light upgrade. In fact at the Goodyear where I work, if a Ford car with the 2G comes in with a bad alternator I recomend an upgrade. It's not in our book but since I can do it and the shop can get some extra labor out of it they will try to sell it. I did it on my car, a bronco, and this 88 5.0 'vert that comes in all the time. I think we charged a full hour labor instead of half.

Considering my car started on fire because of the stock ford wiring at the alternator, I will take that safty risk of re-wirirng my car to handle a better alternator.

But hey thats just me.

Agreed that I should've done it myself now that I think of it, but even Z06 owners mod their cars, and either they do it or they don't. I am a mechanically inclined person, but like stang2841 said, doesn't wanna run the risk of screwing anything up. I come from a techinically impared family with few tools, so that maybe one of the reasons. I never took mechanics in high school, which is something I wish I did now. But hey, not everyone can do a port and polish at home, right? (Okay, I admit, really corny comparisson, and I know it can be done at home).

Everybody here stated this well. If you can't mod your car yourself, maybe you shouldn't.

buy the time I'm finished, here is how my car will be setup:

-1987 thunderbird turbocoupe 3.73 rear end
-199+ ford aerostar rear 5 lug axles/drums (discs later on)
-sn95 5 lug front brakes
-01 ford explorer engine
-tremec transmission
-not including an entire interior patched together from every mustang year 79-93

who the hell is gonna work on and gaurantee work on a car built like this?? you simply cannot expect a normal mechanic to start modifying your car for you. What most people don't realize is how much **** from different cars will really work on the fox mustangs.

Aftrbrnr said:
Agreed that I should've done it myself now that I think of it, but even Z06 owners mod their cars, and either they do it or they don't. I am a mechanically inclined person, but like stang2841 said, doesn't wanna run the risk of screwing anything up. I come from a techinically impared family with few tools, so that maybe one of the reasons. I never took mechanics in high school, which is something I wish I did now. But hey, not everyone can do a port and polish at home, right? (Okay, I admit, really corny comparisson, and I know it can be done at home).

Look, i may of came off a little harsh in my first statement (i usually do), it's just there's minor work and there's major work, save the trans rebuilds, head gaskets, and other very labor intensive jobs for the experts if you like, just don't throw your hard earned money away on things you can easily do yourself.
It's never too late to start learning, let's face it, we drive old cars, if everytime something goes wrong we take it to someone to fix it, we'd be more than outspending a new car payment a month.
If you wonder if a project is too big for a newbie, come here and ask, you'll get enough opinions to make a decision.

I 100% agree with not wanting to mess anything up, but if your taking your car to this so called mechanic, things are going to get messed up, including your wallet. I also understand that if you don't know what your doing and do it anyway, that can be a bigger disaster. So for complex items maby your better off hiring your help, but for the simple little things, you have to DIY, and if you don't know, then you better ask somebody, and you've got a whole website and then some to ask. :nice:

Man good thing your mechanic wasn't around when we went from fuel injection to carb on my lx.

Man cleaning up that mess was a real pain.

Although I have felt your woes.
I took my old ranger to the ford dealership to have a new 5 speed put in and they told me it was a death trap and wouldn't install a new trany for me because the truck had been lowered. ft bumper was maybe 2" off the ground max.

The bad part is it had a top notch lowering kit installed
Dream beams ect ect
Oh well the tranny shop down the rd was happy to rebuild my old trany.