PAXTON NOVI 1220 Pulley to Upper Radiator Hose Clearance!

I'm in the process of installing the new Paxton NOVI 1220 SL on a fox 5.0, and have a clearance issue.

All of the pulleys are lining up fine, but the upper radiator hose is interfering with the supercharger pulley. I have a Ford Racing radiator, which is deeper than stock, causing the hose to interfere. I'm sure the kit is made for the stock radiator.

Can I somehow modify the hose to make it work, or am I stuck replacing with a stock radiator?

Attachments

• DSC00191.JPG
    DSC00191.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,310
  • Sponsors (?)

I laid out both of those suggestions, and no luck. No matter how I angle the elbow coming out of the radiator, there's no way it will clear the pulley.

Pretty sure I'm going to have to go back to a 1 row radiator. Every photo I have found online of a NOVI 1220 finished install is with a 1 row, and it's a very tight fit as it is.

Trim the hose on the radiator side and it will give you the needed clearance, this is the same issue with the Vortechs....

Here is a pic, although hard to see of my fathers 93 Cobra..it shows the stock rad but we switched it over to a Ron Davis racing alum radiator and still made it work.
215816_14_full.jpg

With the additon of a new motor and a YS blower we got a custom rad moving it is the other side of the rad to prevent any issues with the 10 rib set-up or cogs down the road.

Dont give up your good radiator for the POS stock one. Just modify the hose as stated above or go back to using the stock hose. Heres a pic of my motor when it had a vortech on it, sorry for the crappy quality I had to the the pic out of the magazine. You can see how the hose is pulled off to the side w/ a clamp to keep it from hitting the SC Pully.

001-12.jpg

I just got my novi 1220SL today, how is the install going?? I'm going to start mine on Sat. Have you run into any other major problems? I see your from Pa me to, I live near Kennett Square in West Grove PA. How much boost are you planning on running? Are you getting it tuned or just using the FMU?

I just got my novi 1220SL today, how is the install going?? I'm going to start mine on Sat. Have you run into any other major problems? I see your from Pa me to, I live near Kennett Square in West Grove PA. How much boost are you planning on running? Are you getting it tuned or just using the FMU?

wow, i guess everyone from pa is installing blowers. i just installed a vortech s -trim today on my fox. i live near king of prussia

Overall, the NOVI 1220SL install went fairly well. I had three issues:

1. Airbox did not fit... no big deal. Just mounted the K&N minus airbox.

2. The radiator hose interfered with the blower pulley (I have the wider aluminum one by Ford Racing). Just had to take about an inch off the hose, and cut the elbow in the radiator by about an inch. I then zip tied the hose to the rad hold down since the lip is no longer there on the rad elbow. There's no way it will pull off.

3. The biggest issue I had concerned the belt tensioner to water pump pulley clearance. I have the Ford Racing A/C delete, so my power steering pump is mounted where the A/C was. This caused the angle of the belt to be less aggressive when coming in contact with the tensioner, and thus pushes it down onto itself at the water pump pulley. I had serious rubbing to the point where I put a hole in the belt after a 5 mile ride. I had the shortest belt I could fit on, and no luck. Here's how I solved it:
A. Installed the 1993 Cobra water pump pulley, which is a good bit smaller than stock.
B. Cut the stub that is cast into the back of the tensioner, allowing me to angle it up a bit more. I basically then put the amount of tension down on the belt manually, and tightened the tensioner to the Paxton bracket.

I've had it out a few times since getting it going last week... run's like a monster. Last night I had the spring lock give way on the fuel line that goes from the pressure regulator to the FMU. Fuel everywhere... can't believe there was no fire. Paxton is overnighting me another one... what's $90 more bucks!?

I'm just using the FMU, and see no issue with fuel requirements. It's only pushing 6 lbs., so I don't see the need for a tune.

I'm very close to Reading, PA, and would love to meet up with some local Stang fanatics. I'll be testing at Maple Grove on May 2nd, and will be doing the Pottstown car show in May 3rd.