Progress Thread Finally got a new truck

I am only 5 lug because the cheapest way to decent brakes is SN95 Cobra fronts. I am still drum in the rear with 5 lug axles. Part of me wishes I would have spent the $2k on nice 4 lug front brakes and kept my turbines, lol.

• Sponsors (?)

Of the ones that you've posted, the ROHs look the best. I don't know what tires are on them but maybe you'll luck out.

Contrary to the songs that are often sung in this forum, the "4 cylinder" brakes are the atrocity they are made out to be. Replace everything though. New pads, no rotors,shoes and drums, full fluid change. Break them in correctly and theirs plenty of stopping power for street use. They do fade on any kind repeated hard driving but that takes some doing.

I’ve got new brakes. Hawk pads, new slotted/drilled rotors, all new rear drums, brake lines, fluid, all broken in correctly. Car stops pretty well, actually.

I almost nabbed a set of those ROH ZS last summer. I love those wheels, classic 90s fox body look. The only problem is the more you look at the 4 lug version the more your eyes hurt. They just don’t look right. I scored on some 17 inch ponies instead, just looking for the right tires now.

Yeah they do look funny four lug, but at that price I’ll check em out, I’ll post pics. Standby....

I am only 5 lug because the cheapest way to decent brakes is SN95 Cobra fronts. I am still drum in the rear with 5 lug axles.
Part of me wishes I would have spent the $2k on nice 4 lug front brakes and kept my turbines, lol.
That was the blind, mentally challenged part of you I'm guessing.. :runaway:

Reactions: 1 users
nice 4 lug front brakes

IMG_7594.JPG

Well, I got these things for $100. Pretty good deal I think. The dude I bought them off of plasty dipped em. So, I spend the afternoon getting that :poo: off. It’s coming off pretty easy
DD8ACE22-F3C5-4DB5-A61D-4F8FFFCDF19B.jpeg
01685890-3344-4364-BCE1-C1921234F601.jpeg
. I’ll post progress pics. The are silver with a polished aluminum lip.

Reactions: 2 users
I fitted them on the car, Not sure if I like the way front fronts look, they stick out more than I’d like, maybe it’s just the tires? Or maybe it’s just how the wheels are.

Attachments

• 4D25A2DB-B15B-4BA1-BBCA-BA310D1EFD3B.jpeg
    4D25A2DB-B15B-4BA1-BBCA-BA310D1EFD3B.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
One wheel cleaned, this will take me a few weeks.
B410850A-82A5-4635-B951-E36BA1ECFA9C.jpeg

Attachments

• 42C7F126-8BB8-436F-80E8-61F1FBB92ADC.jpeg
    42C7F126-8BB8-436F-80E8-61F1FBB92ADC.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 183
Too bad the rear tires are shot. Fronts are in decent shape. It took a few hours to clean all the plasty :poo: o
92A3583E-0AA9-4F05-865A-F6A4422E7FB2.jpeg
ff, I should have em done in a few weeks. The silver paint has a cool flake in it and I will leave that alone. The aluminum lip isn’t bad. It’ll clean up when I polish it. I’ll get them done and see if I like them on my car. I put them on earlier and not sure if I like the offset on the front. I do like the way the rears look, both from the side and the back. Looks meaty!

Well, I got all the plasty dip off of these. I found out that 3M adhesive remover eats into that :poo: pretty well. Definitely saved some time in the last two. I think I’m going to leave the silver inside the wheel alone. It’s in decent shape and has a pretty cool metallic flake the I don’t think I can duplicate with a rattle can or wheel paint. I will take some polishing compound and polish the outer lips. If I don’t like them I think I can triple the money I paid. I paid $100 for these. I think they look pretty good though. Here’s a couple pics.
20CE0408-EF43-4999-BDC4-34F492231D31.jpeg
B28B884B-318A-400C-B481-AB1042AE25B8.jpeg
A34FD387-B262-49B0-A981-6ADB65CF5CD7.jpeg

I’ll probably polish them next weekend and throw them back on the car and see if I like em. I think I will. I like the pony’s but I’m tired of looking at em. I wish I had a cooler thread but this is all I have the time and money for. I wish I was doing what Davedacarpainter is doing!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Jeez Blake, those turned out excellent!

Time and money huh? All the paint and restoration stuff I’ve done the past year and a half has been free since the paint jobbers agreed to give me any paint and materials I needed for free.

I might spend $3k this year. That’s it. Watch me next year though when I start buying drivetrain components.

I think you got one hell of a deal there on those wheels, nice find and good job on cleaning them up. I like those a lot more than ponies.

Reactions: 1 user