Progress Thread Pearl To White - Paint Time

• Sponsors (?)

I've been searing for a rust free hatch to replace mine with and couldn't find anything local to me. Found a guy who has some parts cars about 4.5 hours away but only has LX hatch's. How many holes will need to be filled if I go with the LX hatch on my GT? He wants $200 for the hatch.

I've been searing for a rust free hatch to replace mine with and couldn't find anything local to me. Found a guy who has some parts cars about 4.5 hours away but only has LX hatch's. How many holes will need to be filled if I go with the LX hatch on my GT? He wants $200 for the hatch.
Over the past year and a half, I've bought four hatches. The first one had a little rust, and I thought I could do better, so I bought another and found it had hidden rust. I finally found one that had no rust...but it turns out it had been hit and repaired with plastic filler. About two weeks ago I found one that still had the original paint on it and no rust, and it's going on my Fox. They come up all the time, and you just have to keep looking.

Bill

Trying to find a rust free one where I live is very difficult. Lots of rust here. I’ve been searching for one within driving distance for a while with no luck so picked up this LX one. I just need to find out how many holes will need to be filled to use my GT spoiler.

AD7603F7-99EA-4585-BCEA-3B9816DB7FB6.jpeg

Trying to find a rust free one where I live is very difficult. Lots of rust here. I’ve been searching for one within driving distance for a while with no luck so picked up this LX one. I just need to find out how many holes will need to be filled to use my GT spoiler.
May as well just flip it over and unbolt that spoiler, and then you’ll know. Looks like it’s in pretty good shape.

Reactions: 1 user
There are nine holes under the LX spoiler, eleven if you count the two screw holes on the tips of the spoiler. I did find one '87-'93 GT spoiler and had the opposite problem of converting it to the LX spoiler which was on the '86 GT. But that was the hatch with the body filler and it got scrapped.

Bill

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Since I'm pretty much replacing all the door trim and installing the new quarter windows what do you guys thinking about respraying all the new trim, quarter window trim, front and back glass trim all the same color so it all matches? The body shop said they use a trim black paint that is the same as the SEM one.

Have you seen the replacement stuff Al at once yet? I’d match it up first and see how it all compares to each other. If it’s noticeably off, then spray everything.

Have you seen the replacement stuff Al at once yet? I’d match it up first and see how it all compares to each other. If it’s noticeably off, then spray everything.
I have it all but still in the boxes. The front and back window trim will have to be painted so just want to make sure it all matches and looks uniform. I'll have to pull the parts out and see how they match.

There are nine holes under the LX spoiler, eleven if you count the two screw holes on the tips of the spoiler. I did find one '87-'93 GT spoiler and had the opposite problem of converting it to the LX spoiler which was on the '86 GT. But that was the hatch with the body filler and it got scrapped.

Bill
That’s a ridiculous amount of holes. The GT spoiler needs only 4 bolts to stay on. I did not pull the hatch panel and check my LX until I had already bought a nice GT spoiler.
My plan to avoid warping the metal on the hatch is to epoxy patches on the underside and skim fill the divots from the holes. In a more populated area, switching the whole hatch would be easier. Availability and shipping are an issue, but I will check with Copart and a regional chain of yards before the swap.
On my 79, it was easy to add a GT spoiler when the hatch was blank.

How do you guys feel about deleting the antenna and patching up the hole that is there?
I did it on my other project car and plan on using a hidden, amped antenna from Crutchfield after I get it back from Glads and interior installation. I cannot imagine great reception from the antenna under the all metal dash on that car, but that group says they are fine. Putting the little box up through a defroster vent on the plastic Fox dash should work better.

I did it on my other project car and plan on using a hidden, amped antenna from Crutchfield after I get it back from Glads and interior installation. I cannot imagine great reception from the antenna under the all metal dash on that car, but that group says they are fine. Putting the little box up through a defroster vent on the plastic Fox dash should work better.
I wasn't even aware of that antenna. I usually just use bluetooth on my radio so can do without the antenna for regular radio listening but having the option to run a hidden antenna seems like a great idea.

Even with phone alerts, I still want to be able to hear a local station on some days.
Yeah I can understand that. I was use to having no radio for years due to mine not working, plus my car is a little loud so with windows down I can't hear crap. I'll give this hidden antenna a try as well though. I should be sending my car to the paint and body shop within the next week or so. I'm hoping that I drive it more after I get it back.

I've been looking at going with Oxford White that are on the new S550's but someone told me that they are coming out with another white called Ice White. Anyone have any info on this white color?

Looking at Oxford White and see two different options on paint codes. YZ and Z1. Anyone know the difference between the two? How does Artic White from the new Corvettes compare to Oxford white on the S550's?