Progress Thread My centrifugal ppl, how’s this deal?

Will the computer give you codes?
Will it run with the chip removed
Is it possible the dyno shop has a copy of the tune saved in case the chip is corrupt?
Yeah checked the codes and I got 15c/o, 67,85,10
That I’m not sure I took it to a shop and that guy trailered it to the other shop for me, place out in McKinney tx called true street Motorsports. I could call and ask. So plugged the ecu back up and started the car. Here it is running, the loud squeal I believe is the baffled grommet bc I don’t have it all the way in, just to block oil splash. The idle is not what it use to be, jumping around a lot. Still some spray out the tails. If I had the pro-m harness already I’d just switch everything out.

• Sponsors (?)

It's hard to tell in the running video but looks a lot like condensation in the pipes. What was the temperature when that video was made ?

It may have just lost the tune.

You've probably double, triple, and quadruple checked the firing order.

The 15 code is a keep alive memory code. If the battery is disconnected or computer unplugged that's normal. The aftermarket chip should hold memory if the battery is disconnected. That short shouldn't have messed with any of that if it didn't burn the trace. If the key was on there'd be more of a chance of damaging the computer.

Is your mass airflow sensor plugged in and hooked to the intake while it's running ? I only ask because sometimes it's the simple things.

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to tell in the running video but looks a lot like condensation in the pipes. What was the temperature when that video was made ?

It may have just lost the tune.

You've probably double, triple, and quadruple checked the firing order.

The 15 code is a keep alive memory code. If the battery is disconnected or computer unplugged that's normal. The aftermarket chip should hold memory if the battery is disconnected. That short shouldn't have messed with any of that if it didn't burn the trace. If the key was on there'd be more of a chance of damaging the computer.

Is your mass airflow sensor plugged in and hooked to the intake while it's running ? I only ask because sometimes it's the simple things.
So the temp was probably hi 70s and yes the firing order plugs wise is all correct. Never pulled or removed the distributor. Only pulled that one plug wire bc I was getting to the starter to connect the new cable to it. As for the mass air, it is plugged in but not on the end of the power pipe. I was running it at first with nothing power pipe on to the TB and the maf sensor just plugged in. I guess I can try and plug it all back up and restart the car and see if it runs any better?!?! The battery has been disconnected multiple times, as well as I removed the ecu yesterday just to take a look, plugged it back and grounded it. Seems weird on the condensation, but the car has been sitting now for a few weeks. I’ll just get the mass air back on the power pipe and see how it runs today and see if that fixes anything. Can the tune be lost just like that on these SCT chips?

You have to have the MAF plugged in and on the powerpipe to work correctly. MAF work by reading the air that passes over the MAF Element inside the tube. If there isnt any air passing over it the computer doesn't know what it is intaking.

Please reinstall correctly and report back

So if there is no air flowing through the maf the maf can't do it job so some of the little computer things aren't doing their job and the rest of those little computer things are yelling at them to get to work but they can't without useful info so the cars runs a little rough. Everything needs to do it's job.
Now the smoke/vapor/gas puffing out the tail pipes more likely is moisture, unless you smell fuel/combustion or coolent/antifreeze don't worry, it should go away the longer you run it.

Reactions: 1 users
@General karthief @90sickfox @stanglx2002 :bang:ha well all be damn!! so plugged everything back up, mass air and cone back on the power pipe in the fender, crank it up and she is runnin great. I should’ve known better but thanks everyone for all the help and input!! I just wanted to make sure the car ran fine after the battery relocation and movement of grounds etc. So now I wait for my pro-m harness, and swap everything out and I’m sure I’ll be right back in here asking for help trying to figure stuff out, which hopefully I can lean on @a91what even though I don’t he messes with the pro-m stuff to much. I thought about going COP and mounting on the valve covers, but I have a 1in spacer in now intake wise, and there is no way I could mount on the drivers side unless I added more spacer to lift the intake more, which I don’t think one could do... correct?

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes it's the simple stuff. The adrenaline gets going and we miss small things that make a world of difference. We've all done it. Just glad you got it back running good. It's easy to go down the rabbit hole after messing with wiring. Never know what could've affected something.

I currently have my seats out and I’m thinking about posting them. I know these maybe won’t be liked by many but I like them, seat wise and pattern. Saw a guy with gts2 seats reupholster his with this pattern and I can’t help but like it! Even found the matching material to do the rear middle inserts. Good thing is later I am sure I can always change the inner material. Finding decent recaros is a long wait and mucho dinero, but I’m still looking of course. My original idea was to find some LS or LX seats and stay black on the edges and scarlet red in the middle like these recaro I’ve seen
E4EE0BB8-81B1-4227-95F6-8FC155895FC7.jpeg
8B2509EA-E39D-4807-8082-D3647A66EB04.png
08AFB11C-153F-49CC-88DD-94BE03BE3219.png
74AC8638-0CDA-4001-A7F9-F8711EE9692E.jpeg
3B87C775-82CA-4E0F-A8A0-86C110FAD28A.jpeg

@KZGUNS @a91what In regards to the mounting of the coils if I were to go this way which I need to make a decision soon if I’m running the COP harness or just a regular harness. I don’t think there is anyway I can make them fit on the valve covers, bc the drivers side is way to tight. I read this article and I like the coil mount this guy crafted but can’t really see it enough where I can get an idea how to replicate it. I’ve seen all kinds of different locations but would mounting them back against the firewall under the pinch weld be a bad idea? I don’t want to have to cut up the harness and extend wires etc if I don’t have to. Could this area work or would it be to hot? anything bad with this location in any sense? With the new harness the salt&pepper sensors are removed etc so that clears a little room back there. Btw this is just the bracket I got with all the setup I bought, not sure if I’d use it or buy some nicer ones.
0DFB3464-EAAC-4507-9955-5E4CFD13F7CB.jpeg
63D02B75-9C9C-4C98-ABE4-1EAFC20D7389.jpeg
804CE9B0-DAFE-45FD-BDDA-9D498578E80E.jpeg
FE8979CE-1ED0-4D05-A101-50D840430105.jpeg
492C9CBD-C13D-4393-A1CC-AE8B111CEB8D.jpeg

I may not be reading your seats post correct, are you suggesting you buy the modern looking set in the middle?
They look to retail at corbeau's site for like $900.
At that price point, i'd still hold out for what you really want (and probably something more period correct).
When i think about settling, it's usually for something way lower in price, so if you said you found seats you like for $250, i'd say what the hell they are cheap. But at 900 bucks, when it can probably be done in the $1200 range, not so much.

I agree on the seats. At that price point, I would just get what you want. You seem like you want the Recaros so why not just keep pushing until you get them? Those guys do get them from Malaysia and do seem pretty happy with them.

Granted, I bought a set of fishnet headrests from a different guy in Malaysia who never shipped them...but that's a different story. Paypal covered that.

I agree on the seats. At that price point, I would just get what you want. You seem like you want the Recaros so why not just keep pushing until you get them? Those guys do get them from Malaysia and do seem pretty happy with them.

Granted, I bought a set of fishnet headrests from a different guy in Malaysia who never shipped them...but that's a different story. Paypal covered that.
My biggest problem with these is how hi I sit. My heads up on the headliner, I want to sit lower. By adding the seat extenders, it really lifted it up.

The recaro's on the wedge brackets sit low and really far back.
Like so far back you are like High Tower driving the Corolla in Police Academy #1.
I'm 6'1 and they go back so far i could barely touch the gas pedal.
And i can't completely remember (if my car wasn't on the lift i'd look), i'm pretty sure the sliders had a few mounting holes to adjust the seat angle.

I tried using 79 pace car brackets and sliders, but they were way too high.
Then i had a friend section them (like a chop top) and they were still too high.
That's when i sprung for the wedge brackets and recaro sliders.

I used the planted tech brackets, with recaro sliders. When I get in the car, I sit down into the car. It's definitely nice and low. It was my #1 reason i abandoned the Corbeaus as the GTSII, even with the shaved foam option sat way too high for me.

You can remote mount them on the firewall. I dont see an issue with that. Depending on your harness you may need to extend. You can buy ls harnesses for cheap on amazon or ebay and rebuild or slice into what you have, just make sure you get a good splice. I soldered and shrink wrapped everything.

You can remote mount them on the firewall. I dont see an issue with that. Depending on your harness you may need to extend. You can buy ls harnesses for cheap on amazon or ebay and rebuild or slice into what you have, just make sure you get a good splice. I soldered and shrink wrapped everything.
Well the pro-m harness comes regular or with COP. The seem to have a decent length on them already where is I mount them on the fire wall I don’t think I’d have to cut anything. It’s also got different plugs to snap into the ecu, kinda specific harness for the ecu type of deal. The guy who I bought his setup, mainly for the ecu, also had coils, pro-m blow through, pro-m cop harness but not for my year, that Mallory COP ignition. He had his on the firewall but hi up and it looked messy. I figured if I could tuck them then they would be sort of hidden, guess the bad thing is if one of the coils goes bad it might be a pita to try and get out. Anyway maybe I’ll give it a go, that’s the way the guy had it setup on his, and the way the harness plugs in. I might just buy this guys 91-93 pro-m cop harness for a good price, then add the supplemental harness they made to add in other goodies on top of all the other stuff.
435BB7B9-8D58-4593-A94A-B3E3734D3C18.jpeg
08E235DF-83F7-4875-8372-63EA73349202.jpeg
706CC5F4-CE9F-4C3B-95B7-B29939215893.jpeg
2C34F143-3457-4363-8E45-7E150942E847.jpeg

So I think I’m just gonna order a brand new 91-93 harness from pro-m call it a day, go non coil on plug and get this going so I can get back to driving. I’ll be selling off the other harness, coils etc and put it towards something else.

In the mean time I picked up a TFS 351 R series intake off a guy awhile back. Had the guy that made my custom ovals and wheel badges make me an intake plaque. I called trickflow since the original plaque was missing, strange thing was the guy was like I have one in my hand right now, took down my address etc and said ok I’ll send it out and that was that, but didn’t ask for any source of payment, and it showed up a few days later!! I’ll have to get it powder coated and I’m trying to decide on black vs maybe doing something different. Was playing around with some ideas for the little raised areas, and as for the plaque it’s just a decal so I can always remove it off the plaque if I ever get tired of it. I went to grab it and said meh let me make sure there isn’t a spider or something inside and looked in there. The previous owner said he blew a head gasket and at that point went from a 351 turbo to wanting to LS swap. Inside looks as though maybe something went flying around in there. Is this going to be ok for me to use? I just noticed the gashes etc inside.
720B9B18-49F2-4E17-AD42-2CD21B118E63.jpeg
AC39F140-0E78-446A-9393-28F612B69004.jpeg
81633F7B-CCC8-4605-933A-F2CFE47F06C8.jpeg
E94FDEB1-9983-40A3-A488-89344AB20186.jpeg