Paint and Body Plan to put the car on rotisserie next winter. Can i leave interior and glass in the car?

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
Any issues leaving the glass and interior in place? Plan to strip the complete drivetrain and suspension, fuel system etc so i can address the undercarriage the way i want before installing my new setup. I just wasnt sure if it is any issue with the glass in place. After i strip and paint the undercarriage i will most likely pull the doors and possibly the interior to tackle a few other jobs.

• Sponsors (?)

You might be able to leave the front and rear glasses in places, but take the interior, doors, hood and deck lid off. But, if your doing a rotisserie Resto, why not go all out, just do it all at once.

Reactions: 1 user
Because im not tackling the main bodywork/paint at this point...car will go to a shop for that and a bunch of custom work i need done at a later date. Interior i stripped down and epoxy painted and dynamat 2 years ago so thats all done. Hoping to do what i want with the undercarriage and get it back together for the following season. The rotisserie just makes it way easier for me to work on the undercarriage. If i had the money for bodywork and new paint it would go the same year but i dont think that will be happening yet. I dont know...ideally i need to pull the car off the road for 2-3yrs to get everything i want done but its hard for me to not have it when the weather gets nice but it may just be the right call to get it to the level i want.

It's not the glass, it's the doors that weigh so much. the doors will add 200 pounds to the supported weight. I'd imagine with the engine, trans, and front and rear suspension off, you're only talking about a 300-500 lb. difference from a gutted car. As long as the rotisserie is up to the task, I'd think you'll be OK.

Reactions: 1 users
The key thing about the rotisserie is building it strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle AND getting the "center of gravity" (CG) of the vehicle very close to the pivot point. When you put the car on the rotisserie, if the car is off CG, it could tip over and/or be incredibly difficult to turn. Because finding CG of the vehicle is guess work, it's highly recommended to reduce rotational mass as much as possible. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the input. Ill probably end up pulling the doors and hatch off and just strip most of the interior then. Wont take a ton more time to do but im sure my wife wont be happy when i need to take up a room in the house for all my parts lol.