Please help me fit my cheater slicks

Trying to stuff 28 x 11.5 ET Streets into an '88 GT. Problem isn't up top, its the ground effects (particularly the rear) - I can't fit my fingers in the space seperating the tire from the rear g.e., so I doubt there will be sufficient clearance when the tire grows. I need some advice on what to do. I'm not opposed to significant body modification (of the car of course ), so please let me hear your best ideas.

I'll try to post a photo to give you a sense of the bind I'm in (pun totally intended). I'm having some technical difficulty at the moment.

sorry to say it man it looks like yo ubought to big of tire. if it was me i would sell those and go to a 26 inch or 27 inch tire because the fact that the tires will grow by the end of the track a inch and it dont look like you have a half inch. but maybe somebody with a gt with 28 x11.50 will ring in and tell us all how he got them to work

I suspect I'll need the bigger tires for the power I'm putting down. Besides, where there's a will, there's a way (and I have the "will" bigtime).

I'd try the 26 x 11.5's and gear it a notch below what you think you need. I run 3.55's and 26 x 9's and it holds a 390RWHP car pretty easily. The 28's killed my car to the tune of over 1/2 second, 12.4's with 28" vs 11.7's for the 26" tires. Plus the car looked damn goofy with the big gumball 28's under it.

FYI, the Capri ran well with the 26 x 11.5's and 3.55's on the turbo's. It didn't spin and went through the traps around 5,800 in fourth.

Jamie