Engine Please help !!

Ok a little information on my car 91 mustang 5.0 just rebuilt less than 500 miles ago had no problem until now I went out to start my car wouldn’t Start I messed with my distributor n turn it got timing up to 20 degrees n it starts but when I turn my distributor back down it goes down to 15 n then dies I used my noid light for my spark plug n it was like it lost spark at 15degress n dies every time

• Sponsors (?)

Reactions: 1 user
Just a thought but make sure you don't have a bad wire in the distributor harness. Does the harness get slack at 20 degrees and pull tighter when you back it off to 15. Could be something simple. Timing should not cut off spark only determine when in the cycle it occurs.

Just a thought but make sure you don't have a bad wire in the distributor harness. Does the harness get slack at 20 degrees and pull tighter when you back it off to 15. Could be something simple. Timing should not cut off spark only determine when in the cycle it occurs.
I’m not sure when u turn the Distributor is it supposed to prime the fuel pump I can hear something clicking in the throttlebody to when I turn the distributor I got a brand-new distributor in the box I have to change my oil first because it synthetic and instructions it says not to break in a synthetic oil

I’m not sure when u turn the Distributor is it supposed to prime the fuel pump I can hear something clicking in the throttlebody to when I turn the distributor I got a brand-new distributor in the box I have to change my oil first because it synthetic and instructions it says not to break in a synthetic oil

I wrote the checklist....
Do it and you will find your problem...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
turning the distributor has nothing to do with priming the fuel pump. You said the engine was rebuilt 500 miles ago. I would double check the wiring harness going to the distributor and make sure its did not get crushed/pinched and is causing a short. The check list is a great tool.

Turning the distributor will prime the fuel pump if the key is on. This is normal. The computer gets a signal from the PIP sensor inside the distributor.

Reactions: 1 user
Turning the distributor will prime the fuel pump if the key is on. This is normal. The computer gets a signal from the PIP sensor inside the distributor.
I have a short I think I can pull my distributor up out and touch it on metal and it primes my fuel pump makes a quick in my throttlebody

I have a short I think I can pull my distributor up out and touch it on metal and it primes my fuel pump makes a quick in my throttlebody
If the tfi is plugged in it will prime if key is on and rotor rotates inside the cap.

If the pick up inside the distributor has come apart it can cause the same issue.
Yeah this thing except instead of coming apart they get a soft spot in them and then that causes the TFI modules to keep frying after that until you swap out dizzys....The distributor shafts can also short to ground when the sintered bronze bushing wears out from excessive camwalk from a worn out thrust plate....

Annotation 2020-08-07 064025.png

Another thing to note is if you have a painted block and painted the spot for the dizzy mount or have gaskets raising it a hair also painted the small spot for the holddown you need to make those spots clean as thats where the dizzy grounds to the engine block and the engine block needs to ground to the frame and the battery negative...........I have a 3ft long 3/16" wide stainless braided ground strap on my holddown screw and grounded directly to the frame..

Good Luck