Power leather seats

Gary99GT

May 12, 2012
Newbie here . . .my driver side tan leather seat cover in my '99 GT convertible is starting to wear - the passenger seat is very good. I am considering either replacement of the original covers, or just replace the whole front seats. Replacement leather covers are too expensive, and I don't want to go to Autozone for the cheap plastic covers. I understand that the bolt patterns are very similar for several year span. If I can find a nice set of seats from a salvage yard, I might opt to use them in the meantime. Question is: what seats can I bolt in without modifications? Driver seat is power.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I was faced with the same project in my 00 GT...driver's seat toast, the rest of the leather interior good to excellent. After scraping around to see what might be a "reasonable cost" replacement for one or both front seats (and remembering some previous wrecking yard experiences), I opted to save my money and refurbish the driver's seat with matching leather and new seat foam...made a terrific difference and is straight forward. While getting my money together, I threw a cheap cover over the driver seat, with a piece of extra foam under it to combat some of the deterioration https://www.americanmuscle.com/sideless-seat-cover-headrest-ford-oval-logo.html . I think you'll find similar year Mustang seats to be the only bolt ins...doing something else can be a real project. My 2 cents. BTW, after ordering my upholstery "piece", I noted a couple of sites selling complete interior upholstery sets (minus foam) for a few hundred more than I'd invested...apparently they overstock or have returns from time to time...one was a black and grey Pony interior---had I seen that first, I'd be sitting on that. Happy hunting.

The seat bottom of the 99-04 cars is slightly different from previous cars. It's different from the passenger seat as well.

Direct bolt in, and keeping your power track, would be any 99-04 seat. You can install any 94-04 seat if you don't mind the more primitive seat track on the 94-98 version seats. I think the older seats actually have better support.

You can also save a few bucks by recovering the fronts in vinyl, as the rear seat is in fact vinyl as well

Unsure if you can retain your original foam with the kit vs buying the new foam

BTW, I had a set of these that I couldn't sell for the longest time. Decent shape and $100 for the seats and no bites. After some time, I ended up turning them into office chairs for use around the garage. My point is they are pretty readily available and cheap, but the condition may not be the best since the cheap ford leather doesn't wear well. Nice condition ones are rare. I do have a mint very low-mileage set squirreled away for a future project car.