Project TIME WARP - Phase 1 - Suspension & Brakes

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
Hello everyone,

Starting a thread on the first phase of my project car. Project Time Warp is a early 1965, all blue, auto, V8. I bought this car about 6 years ago, drove it for a couple and had to park it because of suspension completely gone and didn't have time or money to do what I wanted. So here we are and I am currently replacing all of the suspension and brakes so I can drive it this summer.

Project Time Warp is a track inspired design and while it will be able to tear up the track it will not be a trailer queen or 100% track only car. I'm here to show what I'm doing to maybe inspire others and to get feedback if someone see's something I shouldn't be doing. I'll be posting pics over the next couple days of progress up to this point and as it goes moves forward.

I'm hoping to get it on the road here soon but a couple of my parts are on back order and the shops I use are extremely busy. Eventually this will be a complete tear down when I get the engine and drive train in, but for now I just need to drive it and do what I can on track days at Utah Motorsports Campus.

Attachments

• 20210525_195753.jpg
    20210525_195753.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Sponsors(?)

StrokedBird

Jun 19, 2021
SPOKANE
I will be following along on your build. I will be bringing a 1966 Coupe into my shop in the coming weeks to finally, after 20 years of sitting, get it running and complete the suspension and brake system. I did all the body and paint on it years 20 plus years ago and the owner has recently been fired up to get more of it completed. Once it's here I will snap a few photos of where it stands and post a few pics along the way. Maybe we can compare notes..

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
Suspension is next on my list, getting ready to order SoT coilover front setup here soon...but I have been saying that for months, bogged down in other aspects of the build still. What are your plans for the suspension?

StrokedBird

Jun 19, 2021
SPOKANE
Well, that depends on what the owner of the car wants to do and how deep his pockets are, my guess is it will be just upgraded stock components since he just wants a Sunday cruiser.

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
Finally got my front suspension, steering and brakes off. Yes the pick shows steering and brakes but those are gone. I have some cleaning up and painting underneath to do but I am still waiting for for some fab work on my spindles to be done and then powder coating so I'm still 2 weeks out til things start going back on.

Attachments

• fornt fender well.jpg
    fornt fender well.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: 1 user

2Blue2

will be trying this sex one when I can find it
Mod Dude
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
had to come over to this thread to see the (only) pic.

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
This is a current equipment list that is going on the car now. Lot more to come and this list just includes the big stuff.

Front Suspension - Integra coilover shocks, Howe ball joints, Custom upper, lower and spindle with 1973 mustang big snout, Baer Brakes aluminum hub w/ARP 3in studs
Rear Suspension - 165lb leafs, Integra shocks, poly front bushing, rubber rear bushing
Brakes - AP Racing S197 brake kit, Wilwood Tru-bar dual pedal w/triple master cylinders
Steering - Chocostang 16:1 manual box, Opentracker steering kit with Baer Tracker
Frame - Subframe connectors, Z-Ray crossmember, shock tower brace
Engine - Rebuilt 302. Nothing fancy and will be replaced

Future plans:

Engine - 347 or 427 stroker with 600+hp
Transmission - 5 speed with OD
Rear End - 9in full float, panhard bar

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
Here's most everything I have ready to go on. Still have some fab work and powder coating to do.

Attachments

• Parts on Bench.jpg
    Parts on Bench.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 13
  • Spindle Mock Up.jpg
    Spindle Mock Up.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Shocks.jpg
    Shocks.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 9
  • Upper Control Arms.jpg
    Upper Control Arms.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Shock Tower Mounts.jpg
    Shock Tower Mounts.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 7
  • AP Brakes.jpg
    AP Brakes.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 7
  • AP Disc.jpg
    AP Disc.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 10

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
More parts sitting and waiting.

Attachments

• Steering Box.jpg
    Steering Box.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Shock Tower Brace.jpg
    Shock Tower Brace.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Strut Rods.jpg
    Strut Rods.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Baer Hub with ARP.jpg
    Baer Hub with ARP.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 14

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
They are a non standard size Essex uses for this and other vehicles. The rotors are 325x32mm. So that's 12.79". It's a perfect size because I can fit them under 17's. I have custom spindles and are having the brake mounts welded on this weekend. Here is a pic of the mock up. Link to the brake kit. You can pound on these all day with zero issues. A friend at work bought a C8 and those brembos are crap. Yeah they look big but the dust seals will be melted after an hour of heavy braking and real soft pedal feel soon after. I know more than you asked for.

Attachments

• brake mock up.jpg
    brake mock up.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 12

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
Could you do me a favor and measure from the center of the spindle to the outside of the caliper? I am curious as to how close the combination is to fitting under a 16" wheel(no one ever test fits brake setups for 16" wheels so its hard to come by info for different setups for those of us running 16s)

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
Could you do me a favor and measure from the center of the spindle to the outside of the caliper? I am curious as to how close the combination is to fitting under a 16" wheel(no one ever test fits brake setups for 16" wheels so its hard to come by info for different setups for those of us running 16s)
Of course. I should have them back by Tuesday.