Progress Thread 89 hatch hydroplanedrifterweldeddiff thread:

Mod of the day: lower control arms and QA1 shocks

Put in some ebay single adj. control arms w/ sphericals bushings on the rear end side. They were brand new but scored them for $50. Think 110 on ebay. QA1's were $30 for both. Got a smokn deal on those! A while.back.
20200613_181836.jpg
20200613_181903.jpg
20200613_214838.jpg

One of my sway bar bolts WOULD NOT go back in. So going to get a new bolt for that tomas. Super weird, guess the starter thread is messed up.

So im workong on the passenger side, tye side i hit the curb on, and i go to check the upper control arm, move it up and down an inch. LOL. Im like wow. There is no bushing in that side and the upper control arm not connected to anything. Bolt still there, but the control arm is seperated from bushing or whatever. And just moves all around lol. So ill be doing upper spherical mounts and upper control arms sooner than planned.

• Sponsors (?)

You have to be careful with those two items, you start cleaning and painting and before you know it you have a full on restoration attempt.
Next thing you know:
You buy a prius type driver
And the only time you drive your stang is to the nearest gas station for a couple quick photos or it has sat sooo long you've forgotten how to drive a stick shift.

Reactions: 1 user
Right. It being a drift/play car, im supposed to not care too much about looks. But im all for cleaning it up. I got plans for it, money is low rn. (Always lol)

For example, if i ever get around to installing my intake manifold, im going to hydrodrip the upper and valve covers, paint the lower, paint and wrap the headers.

Dont mind that 1/8in. Cut into the housing. Lolol. Wow. Went a bit too far. Its prob only .060-.0780 really. No biggie imo. None the less did it on both sides. 2nd side a little less. But ya. Coulda gone a little sliwer and safer but i wasnt worried about it. Then i smushed the bushing with big channellocks and my strength and alide it out. Im weak, took all i had to smush the bushing on 2nd side and got it out easy peezy vs. 1st side i hammered out. And used the big channellocks. Breaker bar on control arm bolts. Eazy peezy as well. Went good.

Not a breaker bar, but a socket wrench and cheater bar i mean.
20200627_221927.jpg

^^^ this was the other side as i found it. Minus the metal sleeve over the bolt still. But 0, zero rubber bushing left. Lol. From that curb check guess it split it and threw it out. So if i hit a curb now with these solid bushings, it aint gonna be oretty i assume. I will def. Make sure i stay away, but :poo: happens when ur pushing it....

On the bushings, i had froze em for 8 hours. They slid mostly right in, and just finished em off with a BFH direct on the bushing aluminim. Both went in flush and nice. 2nd side was a little tighter and had to hit it more, but got it no prob. Thankfully.

I might go back and weld the torque box seams. Vs installing the upper torque box reinforcements. Looks like a PITA and felt it wasnt necessary. Im not drag launching on slicks so shouldnt kill my upper torque boxes just sliding around ya think?

Last edited:
You prolly should reconsider the torque box reinforcement plates. Those uca and the sliding around you do are gonna tear that factory stuff right off.
Just my thoughts,
Think about it this way: the difference between pulling a car down the road with a rope and pulling it with a chain.
I think you should save up your pennies for a track bar.

Ya, thats true. Specially in the dry. I normally only slide in the wet so its not much force to get it loose. But drifting/"road racing" on dry it sure is pulling hard on that point being solid.

I'll throw em in. Cause i like playing road racer in the dry.

I would also buy the cheapest tire with the highest tread wear rating I can afford, inflate them to the max psi when you go 'dancing'. A hard tire will spin easier, just try to stay away from pot holes.
Just thinking out loud here.

Not a breaker bar, but a socket wrench and cheater bar i mean.
20200627_221927.jpg

^^^ this was the other side as i found it. Minus the metal sleeve over the bolt still. But 0, zero rubber bushing left. Lol. From that curb check guess it split it and threw it out. So if i hit a curb now with these solid bushings, it aint gonna be oretty i assume. I will def. Make sure i stay away, but :poo: happens when ur pushing it....
I don’t know,...maybe a really hard whack will knock off that remaining 1/2” thick layer of crud still stuck on the rear end.
Or conversely, you could just go out and spend a whole $1.25 at the car wash.. :shrug:

You could prolly lose a pound of un sprung weight cleaning that off. :shrug:
You could’ve stayed in school instead of dropping out in the 8th grade to help momma, and daddy on the farm too. If you had, you’d have learned the important stuff like not purposely misspelling words you find too laborious to spell completely. The main reason being how you are perceived by people who think you dont know how the word is spelled. Given the fact that you do know how to spell it, and continuously choose to do it wrong, means you prefer to look stupid.

Good job, it’s working.

Last edited:
You could’ve stayed in school instead of dropping out in the 8th grade to help momma, and daddy on the farm too. If you had, you’d have learned the important stuff like not purposely misspelling words you find too laborious to spell completely. The main reason being how you are perceived by people who think you dont know how the word is spelled. Given the fact that you do know how to spell it, and continuously choose to do it wrong, means you prefer to look stupid.

Good job, it’s working.
I get a chuckle every time I bring out the education advocate in you and that word has gotten a reaction at least twice now :jester:
And it's worth the price of admission.

Reactions: 1 users
I get a chuckle every time I bring out the education advocate in you and that word has gotten a reaction at least twice now :jester:
And it's worth the price of admission.
I know why you do it, in case youre thinking you might just " poke the bear".
The thing I wonder is, how long you'll keep doing it after I stop bothering to correct you?

I might go back and weld the torque box seams. Vs installing the upper torque box reinforcements. Looks like a PITA and felt it wasnt necessary. Im not drag launching on slicks so shouldnt kill my upper torque boxes just sliding around ya think?
I don’t drift my car and I don’t launch it from a stop. I do like to drive spiritedly though, and my torque boxes were still in pretty bad shape. After the reinforcements, night and day difference. It wasn’t really that bad an install either. Did it at the same time I was dynamatting the interior.